Dragsamou Raising the Dead?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

inca911
Librarities Legend

Dragsamou Raising the Dead?

Post by inca911 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Why not let old posts just die a quiet death, rather than upping them with "UPDATE OR DELETE"?

When I want to look for something, I use the search function and it'll being up any old posts that are applicable. Posting "UPDATE OR DELETE" usually just buries active topics beneath several layers.

Thanks!

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Dragsamou Raising the Dead?

Post by dragsamou » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm

inca911 wrote:Why not let old posts just die a quiet death, rather than upping them with "UPDATE OR DELETE"?

When I want to look for something, I use the search function and it'll being up any old posts that are applicable. Posting "UPDATE OR DELETE" usually just buries active topics beneath several layers.

Thanks!
Hi Forrest.
Because Ralph decided that Posts 3 Monthes Old should be either Scheduled for deletion or put in the Archives.It's not fun for me,to put that Update or Delete Thanks sentence,I should have not to do it,if Members will be taken care of their posts properly.But,you are correct,I'm fed up with that,so 3 monthes Old Topic from Trading that won't be Updated or mentioned Update at the First Post will be
put Automatically in the "Scheduled for deletion"....No more Update or Delete.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:56 pm

Personally, I liked the idea dragsamou had to warn people before their threads were deleted. I have no problem, though, if the threads are immediately moved to Scheduled for Deletion. Let us see what others say to this.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:09 pm

I am with Forrest. If it was deemed not worthy to archive and keep by either Ralph or any moderator, then just axe it. That is a moderator's job afterall.

inca911
Librarities Legend

Post by inca911 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:36 am

I propose that posts with no new replies after X months be deleted without warning. It is likely that this deletion could be automated to save the mods some work. I would suggest that X would vary by category, with longer times for posts in categories important to the site. For example:

Website = long time for X (posts which result in site updates can be deleted once the updates are complete, else the question gets answered and the post closed)

Information = long time for X (we're all about information)

Trading (by subsection)
--Standard Magic Products = 2M
--Promotional, Misprinted, and Unofficial = 6M (key item for the site)
--Item Value and Availability = 2M
--eBay Reports = 2M
--Trading General = 2M

Off-topic = 2M

Is the reason for these deletions the size limits on the message board? I like posts with information and discussions about rarities to hang around for a long, long time. I somtimes have to recall posts I made to check on old information my brain doesn't want to recall. I think the mods know which posts are juicy enough to archive vs. those which can simply go away.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:05 pm

inca911 wrote:Is the reason for these deletions the size limits on the message board? I like posts with information and discussions about rarities to hang around for a long, long time. I somtimes have to recall posts I made to check on old information my brain doesn't want to recall. I think the mods know which posts are juicy enough to archive vs. those which can simply go away.
I think it's done, here, simply to make it easier to find stuff through browsing the forums.

It's not something I do on my own forums, but I can understand why one would do it if they decided to.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Re: Dragsamou Raising the Dead?

Post by Archivist » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:57 pm

inca911 wrote:Why not let old posts just die a quiet death, rather than upping them with "UPDATE OR DELETE"?
I like to think of it as "forum necromancy".
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade