Question about new Library

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Question about new Library

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:39 am

Ralph,
One difference I just happened to notice (and I do not recall any discussion on this, unless I missed it) - in the Old Library, you had the dates when each card was released to the public (or as close to the actual date) and now with the new Library you are creating, it appears that the cards are only sorted by the year the card is intended to be released.

For example, the textless MPR card appears in the 2006 category, but under the previous Library, you also had it with a date of 2005-09.

Are you going to try to incorporate the date in with this new Libary, or is this no longer going to be a viable reference?

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:07 am

Thank you for your interest. The release dates of each card are still a piece of data tracked (a good example of an up-to-date and comprehensive list can be seen here). Due to the fact that the release schedule of cards often enough collides with the internal collector's number of cards, however, I have decided to sort the cards by their collector's number or, in absence of a collector's number, by their most likely composition in case they had been assigned a collector's number, and not by their order of release anymore. Furthermore, to avoid redundancy and circumvent confusion, I have outsourced the release date to the general index section of each type of item. Basically, the item-specific index pages (example: Magic Player Rewards Cards) show all items organized by their collector's number (which usually includes a year) while the general index pages (example: Magic Player Rewards) show the strictly chronological release of all items within a specific venue. Given that many index pages are missing yet, this is why there seems to be a shortage of this kind of information, but this is not meant to be a conscious paradigm shift of what kind of data is tracked but merely a side effect of a website still incomplete.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:23 pm

Thank you Ralph. Actually, I had so far never come across that index page that you referenced. A little bit of work, and I see how to access that page now.
I agree that an actual release 'date' is hard to precisely determine, since it is not normally published by Wizards, but rather is the date it normally may be found to have been released in the market, which of course can be different for different countries - and even different within a country depending on what cities get to release it.
This is an interesting index.