the end

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

MAPtheMOP
Librarities Hero

Post by MAPtheMOP » Fri May 11, 2007 7:11 pm

As I said to Ralph I can integrate parts of the page in my own web project. My plan is to collect and present all the information from ML nothing to do with promo cards.
- Sets
- Literature/Documents
- Accessoires/Equipment
I'll build a MySQL database with all of these datas. If the *new team* is interested in holding these things on ML any longer I can share my ressources. In fact I need this forum and the community from ML to get all the infos. I can only collect data from german products myself.
If getting data in other languages is not possible I'll collect only german information for my own page.

bad english.... urks
My English is too bad? I know, old boy..! German is much better! ;) Greetings to Google translating tool!
Keep on MOPing!

Mykeatog
Librarities Hero

Post by Mykeatog » Fri May 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Dragon,

If you are taking over the website, Troll and Toad is willing to host it. If that is something you'd be interested in, let me know.

- Mike, Troll and Toad.

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Fri May 11, 2007 8:49 pm

ralph

i hadn't responded before because i have been unsure how to frame my response to your announcement. i, along with the others, wish you well and am disappointed but understanding of your situation. your herculan efforts have always been appreciated as well as your thoughtfulness and wonderful sense of fairness. i have learned as much about life and community from this site as i have about magic rarities. everyone should consider the scope of this website and then reread my last sentence.
please add my thanks to the flood of well wishing you are receiving.

practice peace

tom

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Mykeatog wrote:Dragon,

If you are taking over the website, Troll and Toad is willing to host it. If that is something you'd be interested in, let me know.

- Mike, Troll and Toad.
alexis

please think long and hard before getting involved with a commerial site.
a great thing about this site has always been the lack of advertising and commercial interests. some of the biggest frictions on the site have been between people perceived as just trying to make money and purists collecting for collectors sake.

Ponagger
Legendary Tolarian Academic Ludologist

Post by Ponagger » Sat May 12, 2007 1:34 am

Good Luck Ralph, in what ever you attempt.

And thank you. Very much.

james

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat May 12, 2007 7:13 am

Hi Members.
First thing,Thanks to All the Members that have offered their help and support for the New Web Site.So what's the situation for the moment:
So far,I have already bought a New Name,I believe you won't be too much disappointed ;-)
I'm getting in touch with Different Members of this Forum,to participate in the project and more especially in the Technical part.
I have hired a WebMaster designer to help me understand how technology is working,as this part is not an easy one for me.
Right now,I'm finding the Best way to Transfer the Old Web site into a New one,and think already about the improvements that need to be done.
On my part,I will pay for Everything,getting Promos and Rarities,infos,scanning the 400+ that I have on the side,contacting Big Collectors who can provide Scans of Rarities and Promos that I do not own,etc...But the Technical part will be in charge of a Team of Long Time Members,that I'm right now creating.I will keep the Members informed,as I will spent the next weeks taking care of the Transfer and getting the Team together.
Thanks to All.Alexis.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Sun May 13, 2007 4:19 am

A few thoughts.
  • (to Ralph) I think it sometimes takes courage to admit that you no longer enjoy doing something that you once did. Hopefully you'll find something else to occupy the extra free time that you'll enjoy as much as you (in the past) enjoyed rarities.
  • What's going to happen to this domain? Is Ralph going to control the domain from here to the end of time or will he simply cease to renew it when the time comes?

If Ralph is not planning on renewing it, what about just transfering ownership instead of letting the domain expire, which would effectively make it available to anyone, have they any interest in MTG or not.

And if the domain is going to exist forever, then there should be no need to transfer the forums.

If, however, someone does want to transfer the forums, I'll offer to do what I can to help out. I am a member of the phpBB Group [1] and I converted the YaBB posts to the phpBB format [2], so if any problems do arise with this board, I should be better able then most to fix them.

[1] See http://www.phpbb.com/about/team/ and http://www.magiclibrary.net/library-credits.html. Note that TerraFrost appears in both (although the case is different) as does Jim Wigginton (my real name).
    [2] See http://www.magiclibrary.net/phpBB2/view ... 0932#40932
  • Who's going to host the successor to this website (I consider the website and the message board to be two distinct "components")? MAPtheMOP has made a proposal, as has Mykeatog and dragsamou. Are there multiple people planning successors to this website or is the end goal of everyone who's made a proposal for their to be only one definitive website?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun May 13, 2007 6:30 am

TerraFrost wrote:A few thoughts.
  • (to Ralph) I think it sometimes takes courage to admit that you no longer enjoy doing something that you once did. Hopefully you'll find something else to occupy the extra free time that you'll enjoy as much as you (in the past) enjoyed rarities.
  • What's going to happen to this domain? Is Ralph going to control the domain from here to the end of time or will he simply cease to renew it when the time comes?

If Ralph is not planning on renewing it, what about just transfering ownership instead of letting the domain expire, which would effectively make it available to anyone, have they any interest in MTG or not.

And if the domain is going to exist forever, then there should be no need to transfer the forums.

If, however, someone does want to transfer the forums, I'll offer to do what I can to help out. I am a member of the phpBB Group [1] and I converted the YaBB posts to the phpBB format [2], so if any problems do arise with this board, I should be better able then most to fix them.

[1] See http://www.phpbb.com/about/team/ and http://www.magiclibrary.net/library-credits.html. Note that TerraFrost appears in both (although the case is different) as does Jim Wigginton (my real name).
    [2] See http://www.magiclibrary.net/phpBB2/view ... 0932#40932
  • Who's going to host the successor to this website (I consider the website and the message board to be two distinct "components")? MAPtheMOP has made a proposal, as has Mykeatog and dragsamou. Are there multiple people planning successors to this website or is the end goal of everyone who's made a proposal for their to be only one definitive website?
Hi Terra.
Like I mentioned previously,the Old Rarities Web site and Forum will be moove and improved on a New location under a very similar name.
I would like to have a talk with you as the PHPBB2 will be kept normally
Thanks.Alexis.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

NightBeing
Librarities Member

Post by NightBeing » Sun May 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Well, Ralph, sad to see it go, but when you don't feel up to it, it's better not to struggle. Mewthinks, I told you everything in e-mails, but back then you didn't make the decision yet.

I would suggest still keeping the site around as it is, not dropping it, because even if it would quickly become outdated, it is still a lot of work and useful information that is almost nowhere else.

Wish you luck with whatever hobbies or projects you choose to redirect your energy to, and keep in contact ;)

Andrew 'NightBeing' Alchemist

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Ralph is leaving

Post by victorcamp » Tue May 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Ralph,

Your decision, though suspected for a while, is nonetheless sad to hear. It is the cyclical passing of an era. And because of that, two sides embrace to bring both sadness and excitement. You are at the beginning of your adult life. Projects and goals will evolve, change, morph, and split off in a hundred new directions. Though day-to-day feelings may bring sadness or regret, your horizon is far, far beyond sight. I envy you.

The work you have done is unparalleled. Magic Library is a solid and valuable internet resource. You have raised it to the level of professionalism and respect. You need not feel sad about walking away from it, for you have built it, nurtured it, and it will endure within new sites it spawns.

Your attention to detail is a trait I hold in high regard, as you very much already know. The few (too few) collaborations we worked on were enjoyable and productive. I loved having someone point things out at a level I thought only I would notice. And, of course, detail even I didn't seek. If there's one warning I'd give you, it would be that few will appreciate it, and fewer still encourage it. The trick will be to find an area where that type of perfectionism is needed, desired, and appreciated. I speak from experience when I say it'll get you into conflicts. Nonetheless, we are what we are, and you know the results are so beautiful!

I enjoyed our many phone conversations. They were fascinating, delightful, and insightful. I was wondering where you were? I, too, am unhappy with my distance of late. I am going through one of my lean times. Keeping my anticipation and expectations alive are almost a full-time job in themselves. I know that transitions are difficult; I've had many. Yours, however, will be one of your most exciting. You will land on your feet running.

Thank you, and

Auf Wiedersehen

--Victor

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Posted: 22 Sep 2007 23:01 on The Old Forum.
flaminio wrote:Thanks for all the work you've done, Ralph. No one knows more than I what a huge piece of work running a site like this is. You quickly get buried by the huge quantities of information that need to be sorted, verified, organized, and posted. I was able to keep on top of it with one child; when my second came along there was just no way, and luckily you were able to take it up from there and run with it.

Now that there is just so much more stuff out there, I can't see how an individual can do it. I see that Alexis has picked it up; good show for him, and I wish him the best of luck and support.

Cheers, friend!

-Bob
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

merfolkguy
Librarities Hero

Post by merfolkguy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:16 am

To Ralph, and Bob before him, and to Alexis and all others who help out now, past, present and future curators of such a magnificent resource for the collector.

Anyone who's ever maintained any site, let alone one as comprehensive as this one, for very long, would appreciate the amount of work and care you put into this place.

Everyone moves on eventually or has other things come up in life that pull you from such things, but the work, the investment you put in, lives on and in this case, thrives.

Thank you all.
Merfolkguy