I need your help Members

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:13 pm

What would I do at work without this site. I am in.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Blood wrote:What would I do at work without this site. I am in.
Playing Tetris or Pac Man maybe...Thanks
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:18 pm

random wrote:Dragsamou,

I completely understand where you're coming from;) I hope you'll get your needed immediate support!

My post was meant for a possible long term solution to raise funds for the site. I was personally skeptical when the idea was raised here before (some years ago) but now having seen it work out I think it's a plausible concept to think about- without necro'ing that old thread, if it still exists, just posted here since it seems relevant. Keep it in mind and I hope you get things situated over time.
First short term, then definitely long term. My debts are huge, hit and run accident never go to good with Insurance, unfortunately.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Today I posted an incredibly insensitive post that was meant to be a joke, but was simply awful.
Last edited by dry cereal on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:59 am

This site is just fantastic. It has shown me a mature serious (yet fun) side of this hobby that other sites can't match. I have learned so much from all the great members and have made a many friends in the process.

This site must carry on and you must flourish with it. I hope my gift helps as I am proud to be able to give back just a small part of what you have given to us all these years.

God bless, and I hope everything turns around for you very soon.

Paul
Last edited by Hayden on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:59 am

Sent!

Dont care if I'm in credits or anything, put whatever you like, Alexis.

Good luck with your recovery.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:23 am

Hi Members
Just very touched by the ones who helped so far....Merci
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:46 pm

random wrote:You should consider the print idea the last moderator had. He was too fixated on John Avon for some reason...
~K
Your overall idea looked good, even if I didn't quite follow it all.

However, the first thought that crossed my mind was:

It is always easy for the person in the tree
To tell the fellow on the ground
How to get away from the bear.

Gary

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:48 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi Members
Just very touched by the ones who helped so far....Merci
Alexis;

I have been away from the board for a few days and just saw this. I'll be sending something but would like to provide something more in the way of long term support and some kind of backup in case a disaster should happen.

No credit wanted.

Gary

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:52 pm

IMHO, it is quite risky/dangerous that no one has access to the admin account other than Drag if a problem arose.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:03 pm

I was enlisted so I think you were the person in the tree more often than me Gary :wink:
I'll be sending something but would like to provide something more in the way of long term support and some kind of backup in case a disaster should happen.

I was alluding to a long term plan in my post. It makes no sense obviously for someone to pay to maintain the site by themselves (without any real incentives)and obviously after some time it becomes a burden and people get burned out and whatever... what's the upside being the Dragsamou?
The guy before him (right before he abandoned running the site and turned it over do to real life issues which the current Mod is facing himself) had an idea to produce a print or something and wanted John Avon to do the artwork and then the idea was for people to buy a limited print or card or whatever- This never panned out-
A few years later another site I follow (D&D rarities site) actually accomplished doing the same basic thing (produce a print which was bought by members...) and it actually worked and they're doing it again-
So, my input is that this is a non profit site and often times people are wondering where Dragsamou is or why nobody is doing anything or whatever... Am I wrong? So, it's kinda thankless on his end for the most part -till now as he's getting donations? How long does that last though? How often will people ship $$ into a vacuum or assume that they already did their part or whatever... what if the donations dried up? Then we move on to the next guy?
What I'm saying is that basically the last guy was right and had a legitimate idea that wasn't followed through upon. It is a viable way to generate some revenue (assuming of course the support exists). Being a rarities site basically the concept is to create a cool rarity- For the TSR crowd all it took was a print by popular TSR artists. I dunno if that would satisfy the WOTC crowd but it's possible?
I'd imagine that if this site has little-no upside asides the MTG prestige of running the site brings (whatever that might be) then we will be looking at a new Mod at some point when Drags bills mount and real life stuff is too much to deal with. That's logical I think? If this site had some project/s and some source of revenue to where it wasn't an all out time burden/labor of love deal it might be a positive stressor instead of probably a negative one for the person running it.
The person in the tree has a better view of the situation by the way...

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I was enlisted so I think you were the person in the tree more often than me Gary :wink:
I'll be sending something but would like to provide something more in the way of long term support and some kind of backup in case a disaster should happen.

I was alluding to a long term plan in my post. It makes no sense obviously for someone to pay to maintain the site by themselves (without any real incentives)and obviously after some time it becomes a burden and people get burned out and whatever... what's the upside being the Dragsamou?
The guy before him (right before he abandoned running the site and turned it over do to real life issues which the current Mod is facing himself) had an idea to produce a print or something and wanted John Avon to do the artwork and then the idea was for people to buy a limited print or card or whatever- This never panned out-
A few years later another site I follow (D&D rarities site) actually accomplished doing the same basic thing (produce a print which was bought by members...) and it actually worked and they're doing it again-
So, my input is that this is a non profit site and often times people are wondering where Dragsamou is or why nobody is doing anything or whatever... Am I wrong? So, it's kinda thankless on his end for the most part -till now as he's getting donations? How long does that last though? How often will people ship $$ into a vacuum or assume that they already did their part or whatever... what if the donations dried up? Then we move on to the next guy?
What I'm saying is that basically the last guy was right and had a legitimate idea that wasn't followed through upon. It is a viable way to generate some revenue (assuming of course the support exists). Being a rarities site basically the concept is to create a cool rarity- For the TSR crowd all it took was a print by popular TSR artists. I dunno if that would satisfy the WOTC crowd but it's possible?
I'd imagine that if this site has little-no upside asides the MTG prestige of running the site brings (whatever that might be) then we will be looking at a new Mod at some point when Drags bills mount and real life stuff is too much to deal with. That's logical I think? If this site had some project/s and some source of revenue to where it wasn't an all out time burden/labor of love deal it might be a positive stressor instead of probably e negative one for the person running it.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:17 pm

From what I understood since the beginning, Drag considered he was owning the site. Therefore he could do whatever he wanted out of it.

Now the situation has slightly changed since he was asking for donations. Donators are turning into "shareholders" in your point of view, so to say.

But Drag did not choose to hand over the website to someone who could run and support it financially. He chose to get donations instead.

I quite agree with what you said. I think it would be fair to open the admin access at least to the other mods who have wished for years to be able to do more for this site, but could not.

Librarities could have been something else if people could have contributed openly to it.

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:31 pm

I agree at least a little with that sentiment. Heck, even ONE other person who had access to "the keys to the kingdom" as it were, in case something happened to the other.

Lots of history here that would be a crying shame to lose for something as silly as not having someone else with access if something awful happened.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:20 pm

magic-belgium wrote:From what I understood since the beginning, Drag considered he was owning the site. Therefore he could do whatever he wanted out of it.

Now the situation has slightly changed since he was asking for donations. Donators are turning into "shareholders" in your point of view, so to say.

But Drag did not choose to hand over the website to someone who could run and support it financially. He chose to get donations instead.

I quite agree with what you said. I think it would be fair to open the admin access at least to the other mods who have wished for years to be able to do more for this site, but could not.

Librarities could have been something else if people could have contributed openly to it.
Hi
I'm owning this site indeed, I always have paid for everything, and spend thousand of hours of work on it, and the only help, I did get is from Hans for the scans and at that time was providing him cards for free or great deal on others. My webmaster is taking care of the technical part and some Members are helping with errors, etc...Situation has changed since I almost lost my life, did I ever ask something when I lost 4 members of my family or took care of my mother for a year when she was having leukemia...Answer is No. Did I accept good offers , I was having from MTG companies , that wanted banners on the website...Answer is No again. I ask for donations this time, in regards of my situation, for the present moment it's not an obligation , just a gracious act. Once, I get back on my feet, I can give back the money if necessary. Why, I should hand over a website that I spend so much money onto and more than everything so much time, and time is money. The administrator access, is just the access to the program , my webmaster have created for me, and where I spend my time adding sections, subsections, etc....Otherwise, creation of sections or subsections on the forum have always been discussed with the members and mods. I'm not surprised at all by your comments, coming from someone who never helped, contributing by his posts maybe but mainly enjoying this website to make business.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.