Shipping charges for PSA graded cards

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Magik321
Legendary Infernal Contract Collector

Shipping charges for PSA graded cards

Post by Magik321 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Okay, one reason why I did'nt like ebay was the immense pool of ridiculous people there. (No offence to librarities members :wink: )

So I bought 2 PSA graded 10 cards from a seller on ebay. How much should shipping be? He charged me around $24 for 2 PSA graded cards. Seems high to me. Assuming shipping costs $14. Will I be able to lodge a ebay/paypal report against him, claiming I paid excessive shipping? How much is it to ship 2 PSA graded cards.

Next, he kept claiming that he had sent me a combined invoice, yet he did'nt so I could'nt make a combined payment, then filed a non paying dispute. What an idiot.

Secondly, I find the seller wierd. The PSA graded cards were taken from another auction (copied from someone selling PSA graded 10 UL cards). I therefore believe his scans are fake. Even his descriptions are copied from the same seller. Thats something I did'nt realised till I checked back. Any help on this issue?

Audric

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=020

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 pm

It depends on how they are being shipped. I don't know how much 2 graded cards weigh, but I made a guess and calculated that first class would be about $7. Priority would be $11. First class registered with a tracking number would be $17. The seller is allowed to add a reasonable amount on top of that as "handling" fees but look at his other auctions and their shipping costs I think you would be valid to report them for excessive shipping / fee avoidance.

Magik321

Post by Magik321 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:49 pm

Hi, he said the shipping I paid will be for first class. When I receive my item, I would report him. Note that he is also using scans from other users and put into his auctions, a fact which I overlooked then. I guess I'll need to check back the id numbers then. Wierd that he has PSA 10 graded cards of exactly the ones sold on ebay.

I'm assuming PSA graded cards don't weigh that much to warrent a $25 shipping charge. I report about him using stolen photos, apparently ebay did'nt care. He directly copied and paste their recriptions too. Look at an auction where he claim he had 1000s of refs.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Ebay only cares about stolen photos if you are the owner of the photo stolen.

Regardless, based on all you've told us I find this buyer really suspicious. I hope you at least get the items you paid for.

Moebius
Legendary Big Footed Cow Collector

Post by Moebius » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:37 pm

I don't get your point, when I look at the auction description it states:
Shipping and Handling - To - Service
US $23.50 - Singapore - USPS Priority Mail InternationalTM

So the 24 is 23.50 + 0.50 for the next auction?
In my eyes this seller was quite clear what the shipping charges would be. I personally stay away from these sellers but he has done nothing wrong.

I think you have no chance with either paypal or ebay.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:09 pm

I was going to buy 2 PSA 10 UNL Drudge Skeletons from this seller, until I noticed that the pic for both of them was for a PSA 10 UNL Drudge Skeleton that I won from another seller (spacebaby: a reputable PSA seller).

I then noticed from this sellers feedback, that they hadn't sold any magic cards in the past, so I found it weird that they all of a sudden had a ton of PSA 10 UNL cards.

I also asked this seller why shipping was so expensive for a PSA card ($21 to Canada), and they said cuz it was 1st class and confirmation cost them $2.50! I mean, if it costs them $2.50 to add delivery confirmation to regular mail, then why am I paying $21 for it?

I also asked this seller why the picture of the card I wanted, was the exact same as a card I had won from a different seller 2 weeks ago, but they never responded. It was also funny that they are selling 5 Unl Plains labelled as misprint/Edgar. Basically, I get the impression that this person has no clue what they are talking about, and these were fraudulent listings.

In the end, I had to pass on the 2 UNL PSA 10 Drudge Skeletons. As much as I'd like to get every PSA 10 graded Drudge Skeleton I can get my hands on, I just didn't think these listings were legit. If shipping was $3, then I would have gladly taken a chance at winning them for $0.99 and crossing my fingers. However, I wasn't gonna fork out $21 for shipping in the hopes this seller was legit.

Thrond
Librarities Legend

Post by Thrond » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:32 pm

If you think that the seller ripped you off on the shipping fees, just look at the amount written on the envelope when you'll receive it and take it into account when you'll put your feedback.
I once charged a 70$ amount for a psa 10 graded LOA, and it was the cheapest I could offer for a chronopost international shipping with a 600$ insurance.

heartagram420
Librarities Hero

Post by heartagram420 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:42 pm

Moebius wrote:I don't get your point, he has done nothing wrong.
actually excessive shipping amounts on eBay is against the rules, even if the seller has that price posted in the auction. sellers do this to forgo higher ebay fees. unfortunately, eBay almost never does anything about this, even if it's reported.

we had an ongoing thread on starcitygames forums to inform other members of fraudulent listings, and asked anyone with a few minutes to spare to make reports to eBay, but i don't think any of the listings were closed, and nothing happened to any of the sellers.

and also, it is against the rules to use any image or text from another sellers listing without their permission, so that's another thing this seller did wrong.

I'd say you should reluctantly pass up these auctions.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:10 am

Hey All,

I agree that the auctions are most likely not legit, but I just wanted to comment on the whole "borrowed scan" thing. I really get annoyed at sellers who list high-end premium cards that command large $$$ over your average run of the mill stuff, but then won't put up a unique picture to sell it. As a regular buyer of PSA graded cards I WILL NOT buy any card where the seller won't put up a unique scan of the card, with cert. number. I'm sure most of you know, not all cards are equal, and I would like to see what I'm getting, if it is something special. With regular "filler" stuff I'm fine with just a description of condition.

Sorry, just had to rant a little >:-(

Take it easy,
Jared

Magik321

Post by Magik321 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:33 am

Hi,

I paid for the items, when the package come in I could give scans to you guys. If shipping is much lower than is supposed to be, I'll lodge a complain against ebay. I did file one before and ebay sided with me. His shipping was first class international via USPS to Singapore. I'm ready to file complains with ebay/paypal. If hes selling fakes, he needs someone to get the item, discover its fake and bring him down. Ebay emailed me yesterday, saying they are investigating the matter on the stolen pictures.

I believe ebay rules state that seller can only charge exact shipping, and reasonable amount of handlng charges (packaging costs etc). I'm trying to get him to leave a positive first, so I won't get any backlash from him when I file reports and leave him a neg (I doubt the PSA cards will be real even if I receive them).

@Berkumps: Yes, he copied the scans from spacebaby, I realised that after winning the auction.

@Moebius: The case where I reported to ebay when the seller charged me excessive shipping was $8 for a pile of cards. Ebay ruled in my favor for that, and the seller had to reduce his shipping. A 2nd case was nearly $10 for normal air mail shipping for 1 card, threatened to report him to ebay, in the end I paid $2.25 shipping.

Audric

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:25 pm

I've been buying and selling PSA/BGS on ebay and elsewhere for a while and thats the first time I've seen shipping that high for a low end card.

However, I'm not suprised that the seller set the S&H that high, being that it takes anywhere from $5-12 to grade a card + the time and money required for shipping and the whole turnaround process...

He was probably just trying to set an indirect high reserve on his auction. UL cards, esp commons usually don't command that much of a premium and if theyre graded 9 or below, you usually lose money or barely break even selling them.

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:28 pm

thulnanth wrote:Hey All,

I agree that the auctions are most likely not legit, but I just wanted to comment on the whole "borrowed scan" thing. I really get annoyed at sellers who list high-end premium cards that command large $$$ over your average run of the mill stuff, but then won't put up a unique picture to sell it. As a regular buyer of PSA graded cards I WILL NOT buy any card where the seller won't put up a unique scan of the card, with cert. number. I'm sure most of you know, not all cards are equal, and I would like to see what I'm getting, if it is something special. With regular "filler" stuff I'm fine with just a description of condition.

Sorry, just had to rant a little >:-(

Take it easy,
Jared

Wow its Thulnath... Hi there... you haven't updated your beta set on the Registry for a while

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:18 am

Yeah, sadly I have had to scale back all of my MtG purchases :'-(

I will most likely be de-listing the majority of my PSA sets, since I have no plans to complete them in the next couple of years. For now I will continue to focus on my album set, along with a couple of side projects.

Of course, if I can win that lotto... :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared

Magik321

Post by Magik321 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Okay received the cards. He shipped me 2 revised ungraded cards, and looking at them, they can't even make it to be PSA 9!

I have lodged an ebay and paypal report. The seller also leaves a neg to everyone who takes out a paypal claim against him or leaves him a neg. Any way ebay can remove the neg if he leaves one for me?

Also any advise?

Thanks
Audric

Spectral_bears
Librarities Hero

Post by Spectral_bears » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:26 pm

I have had people leave me retaliatory negative feedback before and even when you prove to eBay that it isn't warrented, they still RARELY remove it. I don't know if this is going to change now that they seem to be stepping up their phone in customer service though.