What's the deal with Ebaay?

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

What's the deal with Ebaay?

Post by fvzappa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:47 am

That's right, I used two a's in that title for a reason. 'Auction site' is replacing, well, you know, that one online auction site we all go to.

Why can't I link to it properly or mention it properly on here any longer?

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: What's the deal with Ebaay?

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:11 am

fvzappa wrote:That's right, I used two a's in that title for a reason. 'Auction site' is replacing, well, you know, that one online auction site we all go to.

Why can't I link to it properly or mention it properly on here any longer?
Hi Keith.
I just don't stand anymore to have the Word Ebaay All over the Website
1000 times and broken links as well,this website is not aimed to have Non stop advertisements for Any MTG Commercial websites.This matter is discuss with the Moderating Team.I hope you understand.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=5227
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:32 am

rofl wordfilter FTW

You guys are a bunch of dirty rotten ebay! =D> :-D

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:46 pm

Ugh. I can't claim I am on board with this idea.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:11 pm

EEbay seems to be where most of our misprints come from, right? Why worry about it?

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Ebay

Post by equi-nox76 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:16 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:EEbay seems to be where most of our misprints come from, right? Why worry about it?
Yes, but you can also go to Ebay without looking in this forum (I assume everybody on this site has very good search skills). The forum should not be a promotional site for Ebay IMO. Chris

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Auction Site

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:35 pm

equi-nox76 wrote:
Tha_Gunslinga wrote:EEbay seems to be where most of our misprints come from, right? Why worry about it?
Yes, but you can also go to Auction Site without looking in this forum (I assume everybody on this site has very good search skills). The forum should not be a promotional site for Auction Site IMO. Chris
Hi Chris.
Looks like,you are not an Ebay Slave :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:57 pm

In my opinion there is no collecting without Ebaay now. I don't think the word should be taboo.

MTG IS a commercial game, where money is the only motivation from the owners (Hasbro). The more money you have, the more you can collect (who can deny that here ?)

Personnally I spend a lot of time already on Ebaay, but one can't see everything can he ? So if someone on the forum posts an interesting link, that may help others who did not see the item. 90 % of the links posted here were of interest to me.

It would be interesting to make a poll and ask the users here if they wish to see links on the forum (not self promotion).

Isn't a forum intended for its users ? Just my humble opinion.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:42 pm

magic-belgium wrote:In my opinion there is no collecting without Ebaay now. I don't think the word should be taboo.

MTG IS a commercial game, where money is the only motivation from the owners (Hasbro). The more money you have, the more you can collect (who can deny that here ?)

Personnally I spend a lot of time already on Ebaay, but one can't see everything can he ? So if someone on the forum posts an interesting link, that may help others who did not see the item. 90 % of the links posted here were of interest to me.

It would be interesting to make a poll and ask the users here if they wish to see links on the forum (not self promotion).

Isn't a forum intended for its users ? Just my humble opinion.
Hi.
A little bit new on this Forum to raise your voice,but let's put it with your Money motivation,everytime the word Baybay is mentioned on this forum pay me 1 Euro or More to my Paypal adress,at that time please do it 1000 times a Day :wink:
Still there?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:24 pm

Not sure I understand your point perfectly. But if I understand it right, since this site is free, then there should not be any Baybay word mentioned ? No link to items either ?

I've been reading this forum for quite many months now, and read Ralph farewell letter. How WOTC ignored him, how MTG is costly...

From what I can understand, you have enough money to run this site and deal with your own collection which is a good thing for all of us. Some members here mentionned the fact this site could be dealt with some subscription. Personally I would subscribe. Because I think this site is definitely useful for collectors, since WOTC is unable to run a decent site for their collectors (what a mess MTG.com is !).

Now, you asked me what were my motivations registering to this forum. One of my motivations is to find people who share the same passion as I do. Trade with them, maybe play with them in the future. I offered my help on one topic but I felt that you prefer to deal with this website on your own except for the technical part. I was not invited to participate in other sections or things (though I'd like to), so I did not insist.

French manicheism can be felt here (being French I know what it is). The everlasting French taboo over money (among which associations sans but lucratifs...). Money is the key in MTG. Ignoring it is in my opinion a contradiction (you had/have/will have enough money in the past/present/future to run probably the biggest MTG collection worldwide). Banning self promotion is understandable, but banning the word Baybay on commercial sites is not.

That's just my opinion, and I don't think that because I'm new on the forum I should not express my opinion. A community is not made only of "beniouioui" (french expression meaning dumb that says yes yes).

Now, if I am asked (kindly or not) to shut up, I will.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:24 am

I really think putting this ban on Ebaay is just going to complicate things.

I DO understand that you are sick of it being a subject, but how do you expect your actions to solve things?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:13 am

magic-belgium wrote:Not sure I understand your point perfectly. But if I understand it right, since this site is free, then there should not be any Baybay word mentioned ? No link to items either ?
Correct,the word has been censored,this is not a Baybay community Website but a Magiclibrarities Community.Links to interesting items in case you did not remark are still working,just the word has been replaced.
I've been reading this forum for quite many months now, and read Ralph farewell letter. How WOTC ignored him, how MTG is costly...
From what I can understand, you have enough money to run this site and deal with your own collection which is a good thing for all of us.
Correct.Read this topic.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=5199
Some members here mentionned the fact this site could be dealt with some subscription. Personally I would subscribe. Because I think this site is definitely useful for collectors, since WOTC is unable to run a decent site for their collectors (what a mess MTG.com is !).
The Subscription is new to me,but it was never in my mind to request money from any Members of this forum,here everything is free,but if you want to participate financially,a Paypal donate exist on this website.
Now, you asked me what were my motivations registering to this forum. One of my motivations is to find people who share the same passion as I do. Trade with them, maybe play with them in the future. I offered my help on one topic but I felt that you prefer to deal with this website on your own except for the technical part. I was not invited to participate in other sections or things (though I'd like to), so I did not insist.
Please don't misunderstand me,you offered help on the Salvat Cards,but another Member have already provided me the 600 Scans(That needs to be done under a Very Specific way,meaning very High quality and with Photoshop).If you want to help in others sections,you are welcome,but using that specific process.Now,I just need to add the 1200 Scans(Small and big)and add all the infos on the card,this will be a very long update.
French manicheism can be felt here (being French I know what it is). The everlasting French taboo over money (among which associations sans but lucratifs...).
Crap,you miss the point Independancy is more appropriate.I do not have any problems to deal with money.
Money is the key in MTG. Ignoring it is in my opinion a contradiction (you had/have/will have enough money in the past/present/future to run probably the biggest MTG collection worldwide). Banning self promotion is understandable, but banning the word Baybay on commercial sites is not.
Another point that you miss again,this Website is Not a Commercial one.
As,I am a Baybay Member myself for years,a huge buyer,I go there anytime without any problems but I do it separetely from here.But some Members are Baybay junkies,so I believe they should join the Baybay community forum but not the Magiclibraties forum,if they want to spend their life talking about it.
That's just my opinion, and I don't think that because I'm new on the forum I should not express my opinion. A community is not made only of "beniouioui" (french expression meaning dumb that says yes yes).
Well,here anybody can express their opinion,but I have to admit that as a New Member,first 10 posts was mainly about providing Links to Commercial websites and Baybay talking,and I have to delete some of them,not the best way to start.
Now, if I am asked (kindly or not) to shut up, I will.
No,you can still talk,but nothing worst than a French guy living in Belgium,they never shut up :-D

Also,when you will see the hundreds of interesting topics that will need to be put into scheduled for deletion because of Baybay broken links,maybe you will understand another reason of why Baybay links are a Huge problem for the website.I remind also Members that an IRC chat channel exist,where I canno't post anymore unfortunately,otherwise,I will have meeting with my moderators over there and that you can eat,drink,talk,etc... Baybay as much as you want.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:08 am

fvzappa wrote:I really think putting this ban on Ebaay is just going to complicate things.

I DO understand that you are sick of it being a subject, but how do you expect your actions to solve things?
Hi Keith.
I do not understand why things are so complicate for you,links are still working just the name of the company have been modified(Thanks to Tim for the brilliant idea :wink:).If some Members will have not abused of using and mentioning it everywhere on the website,maybe,I will not have been sick about it,also this took place on every MTG Website.The last example:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=5300
We are glad that this Member offer them on the Magiclibrarities forum,but why does he needs to mention that they are on Baybay right now?
If the word Auction site is such a problem,I do not mind changing it,but I think it was appropriate in regards of the different Auctions sites that exist.
Do you think that simply cancelling that section will be a better Action?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:00 am

Hello again,

There are broken links after 90 days. All it takes is to delete the post after 90 days or ask the person who posts a link to include a picture in his post.

Once again, Baybay is part of every collector's life now, and unfortunately that won't change. If no one is above the law, no collector is above Ebay.

You don't like to be contradicted, as the owner, moderator and webmaster of this site (so is your status). So I won't anymore, we would both lose our time (yours is precious I understood) and energy.

I will PM the users from now on.

Best regards,

Patrick

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:31 am

magic-belgium wrote:Hello again,

There are broken links after 90 days. All it takes is to delete the post after 90 days or ask the person who posts a link to include a picture in his post.

Once again, Baybay is part of every collector's life now, and unfortunately that won't change. If no one is above the law, no collector is above Auction Site.

You don't like to be contradicted, as the owner, moderator and webmaster of this site (so is your status). So I won't anymore, we would both lose our time (yours is precious I understood) and energy.

I will PM the users from now on.

Best regards,

Patrick
Thanks,like you say,I have better things to do then to argue for thousand years about something external to Magiclibrarities.And like you say,
Baybay is part of my life probably from longer times than you,and I deal with it differently.This section will remain open at any rate,and the word baybay will have been kept in that specific section but the Censor Program won't allow it.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.