How do you call sellers....

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Magik321
Legendary Infernal Contract Collector

Post by Magik321 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:49 am

I sent them a screenshot in an attachment, however ebay told me all attachments are deleted right away. All I did was to provide the transcation and case detail id. I told them it would be good if they can work it out with Paypal, since the seller admitted he was making profits out of shipping there.

Audric

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:30 pm

i just payed 12 for tracked shipping and the guy insured for 24,40 and payed the rest out of his pocket.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:33 pm

That is so rare... Unfortunately.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Garbage

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:31 pm

mahdishain wrote:No one has to bid and if someone wins it for a buck or two will it really be a ripoff?
As soon as the buyer realizes that this card is extremely common he will feel it is a ripoff. Maybe he even thinks it's a misprint of a promo insert. I know to many sellers that sell their stuff for very high prices to new collectors and I feel that is not fair.

@ gzeiger: Since you are a forum member and judging from your post I assume you're not one of these sellers that want to rip people off, so please accept my excuses. :wink:

Chris

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Re: Garbage

Post by mahdishain » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:49 pm

equi-nox76 wrote:As soon as the buyer realizes that this card is extremely common he will feel it is a ripoff.

Chris
these cards are not extremely common. since they come one per promo pack they are considerably less common than the promo cards they come with and no reasonable person would describe even fnm promos extremely common.

equi-nox76

Re: Garbage

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:18 pm

mahdishain wrote:
equi-nox76 wrote:As soon as the buyer realizes that this card is extremely common he will feel it is a ripoff.

Chris
these cards are not extremely common. since they come one per promo pack they are considerably less common than the promo cards they come with and no reasonable person would describe even fnm promos extremely common.
They ARE extremely common imo, I threw away about 50 of them, no reason to debate on that (one per promo pack of every newer fnm existing, so more common then the fnm cards...)

Chris

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:21 am

chris

you are correct. i forgot that the insert card is the same for all promos.
however this still does not make them extremely common compared to regular magic cards. the fact that you threw away 50 does not alter the fact that many players have never seen one and have no access to them.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:22 am

There are a lot of things in that category, really. It's crossed my mind more than once to try to make a full set of FE miscuts, for example. The fact that it's hard to move those at $.50 doesn't disqualify them from being "rarities" in my opinion, even though they aren't worth anything.

I will send the buyer a link to this post and make sure he is informed. I will note, however, that the previous auction for the same item was purchased (at a similar low price) by a longstanding member of this forum who I am sure knew what he was doing, and there were six people watching the auction, which is comparable to what I see for P3K boosters.

I've also paid as much as $1.50 for the Pro Player cards just because I felt like completing the set on Prerelease day. The point is you never know what people will want.

equi-nox76

ebay

Post by equi-nox76 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:29 am

mahdishain wrote:...the fact that you threw away 50...
But this fact makes them more uncommon now :wink:
gzeiger wrote:I will send the buyer a link to this post and make sure he is informed. I will note,…
That is a fantastic behaviour!!! =D> But I really did not want you to do that.
gzeiger wrote:…however, that the previous auction for the same item was purchased (at a similar low price) by a longstanding member of this forum who I am sure knew what he was doing.
Yes, like mahdishain wrote, not all have access to them, I think that is the reason.

Nevertheless the essential point is that you do not want to rip people off, independent of the card is common or not (actually that was not my point).

Chris
Last edited by equi-nox76 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 am

I've been reading this thread for a few days now, and ask myself a few questions :

- how many of us have had an experience like this, overpaying for an item that is not worth it on Ebay ? Isn't experience a good thing even if we lose a few $ ? (I've lost quite a bunch myself)

- while this "unfortunate" buyer loses a few $ on something that I would not even call a Magic card, but rather a piece of cardboard, how many others get ripped off by sellers who do not send anything with the mere intention of stealing collector's money ?

- is it our responsability/duty to act as "Spidermen" of Ebay ? If we decide to act like Saviours of Ebaygawa (I have nothing against this), then we must act accordingly and organize ourselves.

But argueing for hours on end about this "stupid" piece of cardboard is helpless in my humble opinion.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:43 am

I disagree. I think most of us want to help out when we see scams. The ways we can do that are limited - basically we can report items in violation of Ebay policy, and we can email buyers before they make a mistake. In either case it makes sense to me to discuss cases whose resolution may be doubtful. This should be a good place to come to ask about the legitimacy of sellers' tactics, I think. I know I've learned a lot from discussions like this in the past.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:02 pm

while this "unfortunate" buyer loses a few $ on something that I would not even call a Magic card, but rather a piece of cardboard, how many others get ripped off by sellers who do not send anything with the mere intention of stealing collector's money ?
I think the big problem is the shipping. It's too easy to legally rip you off in that regard. Lots of sellers make all the profit on shipping. If you buy from people with lots of good feedback you shouldn't encounter a situation like the above. Idiots that send $$$ to 0 or really low feedback sellers that "all of a sudden" happen to have a mint set of P9 get what they deserve IMO.

Note: I bought a sealed Collectors set a few years ago from some guy with like 2 feedback. The whole time I was thinking that I'd give myself a 50/50 (at most) that I actually get that package in the mail. The price was right though. If I never got that thing I would have blamed myself.. We know when were taking risks :wink:

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:41 pm

Well, if shipped overbroad, many sellers protect themselves by shipping with a Tracking Number to abide by Paypal's rules.

So the fault is Paypal's mostly. I too was a seller on Ebay and lost thousands of Euros because of Paypal.

Now, let's talk about Ebay's fees. That is scandalous too.

The higher the price on Ebay, the more fees. There are no fees on shipping charges.

That does not explain everything, but if you add Ebay's and Paypal's guilt, you will have 90 % of the cases you were mentioning above.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Paypal is just another middle man... At first people were like, "what is this crap" and now most people that I know use it religiously :-\ I'm unsure how it's better than a postal money order within the USA?
I bet that whatever people were doing for overseas transactions in the past is as reliable as Paypal is today. Paypal was forced onto people through Ebay and since most people that Ebay inevitably get a Paypal acct and then they get used to getting screwed out of more $$$. Just like ATM fees and everything else that we adjust to..

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Well, moneybookers offers an escrow service, that you have to pay for, but all other fees are very small.

There should be alternatives to Ebay and Paypal.