Beta Charity Sheets Poster Set

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

heartagram420
Librarities Hero

Beta Charity Sheets Poster Set

Post by heartagram420 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:00 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

very cool. i emailed the seller and asked what the reserve was.... he said $99 :'-( might still be worth it, but not for me. he said he's got another one he's gonna sell as well.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 am

That is a great price. I bought mine last year at $300, which was the price last year.

Did someone notice the price of Time Spiral complete set on Ebay.com ?

$45 !!!! It's MTGO, but nevertheless, how can someone sell a set of 301 cards (20 booster packs), not taking into account the rares that are inside, for $45 ??? Same for Planar Chaos...

I saw Invasion complete set go for very cheap prices too...

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Sets

Post by equi-nox76 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:29 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Did someone notice the price of Time Spiral complete set on Ebay.com ?

$45 !!!! It's MTGO, but nevertheless, how can someone sell a set of 301 cards (20 booster packs), not taking into account the rares that are inside, for $45 ??? Same for Planar Chaos...

I saw Invasion complete set go for very cheap prices too...
Yes, I noticed that too. The prices for sets are dropping since quit a time :-\
On Ebay Germany a M/NM Arabian Nights set + dark/light cards was sold for 600 Euro!! :-O
Chris

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Recently I could get many French old Sets for very cheap prices.

This is good for me, and I don't mind to see the value of my collection decrease, but I wonder what that means : less collectors ? market overloaded with cards ?

I don't know if it has anything to do with the rise of WoW TCG (if they spread it to 5 and soon 6 countries, it must be successful), but something happens to MTG. WoW is easier to collect than MTG, even though the Epic Rares are quite expensive (up to 50 Euros for a card). Upperdeck reprints as much as needed (3 reprints for Azeroth for instance).

Players say Lorwyn is fantastic and WOTC say that the number of active players has never been so high...

Any clues on what is happening ?

Gary_a_Getty
Librarities Hero

Post by Gary_a_Getty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:18 pm

I've noticed the same thing.
In particular I noticed that the prices of recent sets are much more fallen. I believe that the main cause, at least for these set, is MTGO.
Here infact, there are too many cards and then too many sets; the reedemption policy has flooded the market with many complete sets.
Many offer, prices fall.
About the older sets i think the cause is the rate of exchange dollar/euro and the current economic situation very close to recession.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:28 pm

Have you ever redem a set ?
I use MTGO to redem my standard set, this item i have to redem 12 set (for me and friends).
On the last set the ID N° is 126360.

My first Redem set was the 5/4/2005 for a Mirrondin set and the ID was 50347.

Do you think that the ID N° is the number of set who has been redem ?

Is so more than 127 000 set has been send ?
That 's a lot !
IPA to Lorwyn and much from Mirrodin, Kami, Rav an tsp Block.

It 's a good thing for mtgo marketbut not for th irl's one.
:-k

Gary_a_Getty
Librarities Hero

Post by Gary_a_Getty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Unfortunately it's not a good thing for the market and for collectors.

I have a MTGO account just for reedem a MTGO set when i buy it for a low price. I have reedem a two or three sets until now.
Ebay is full of a "factory complete sets" and "complete MTGO sets"; for this the prices falls.
I don't know if ID is the numer of all the sets reedemed.
But if it's true, soon we'll use our cards for clean our *sses ....

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Well, if there were more collectors, the prices would be high or "normal".

I've redeemed a lot of sets when I was building my foil set collection in English.

I had to pay $27 shipping for each set, and even though they combined the shipping, they did not combine the shipping fees, and I had to pay for customs fees.

I think that 4 sets in a year is too much, and many collectors just don't collect them anymore.

I will post a poll today and ask the members here if they collect new stuff. We'll see.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm

An unredeemed MTGO set will always be cheaper than a physical set, simply due to shipping and customs fees.

Patrick, when you paid $27 shipping per set, was this with WOTC?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:38 pm

yvel wrote:Have you ever redem a set ?
I use MTGO to redem my standard set, this item i have to redem 12 set (for me and friends).
On the last set the ID N° is 126360.

My first Redem set was the 5/4/2005 for a Mirrondin set and the ID was 50347.

Do you think that the ID N° is the number of set who has been redem ?

Is so more than 127 000 set has been send ?
That 's a lot !
IPA to Lorwyn and much from Mirrodin, Kami, Rav an tsp Block.

It 's a good thing for mtgo marketbut not for th irl's one.
:-k

This is not an ID number that is unique per set, it is a Lot number. All Mirrodin sets with the date 5/4/2005 are from the same Lot, and should all have the same number. Some sets have more than one possible Lot, and therefore more than one possible date.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:48 pm

In my opinion prices for complete sets are falling because of lack of demand.

What I mean is that almost everybody nowadays goes for the playable cards only, and nobody cares about complete sets... there are very few persons I know that care about having all cards of Lorwyn etc.... they simply want four of each playable card and, very often, only at the times they're actually using them in decks.

An Invasion set will probably go for the price of Fact or Fiction + Reya Dawnbringer + a small percentage :-\

If you tried offering a complete Legends set excepting Mana Drain, Moat, the Abyss, Mirror Universe, Nether Void you'd get very little for it ](*,)

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:37 pm

You will find that collectors come in waves. In the beginning no one collected, and everyone played. After a few years of popularity a few people started collecting, in large part because of the artwork. It wasn't until around Saga that the first wave of collecting took off.

I think that now is a lull, but eventually another wave of collectors will jump in. Existing collectors will drop out of trying to get every set and work more in special niches. Current players will tire of playing and will gradually move toward collecting. At that point they will want real cards rather than an online account.

It has been this way with many other collectibles. The main difference is that Magic can be played and collected, and Wizards always has some new feeder game (starter, pokemon, yu-gi-oh, etc.) to bring in new blood.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 pm

Lots of variables. Too many :wink:

I think the main problem is were being overwhelmed with cards.. I had everything up till Saga and multiple sets of everything and then I got burned out. Then I stopped getting the new cards. Then I stopped playing. Then I wondered why I kept the old cards... Then I sold those. I'm sure most people have a similar story :wink:

Online; I've been doing all my drafting online these days and it's just amazing how many cards I amass in just a few weeks of drafts. I've sold some accts with extras and I lost $$$ on those (in theory). If you're good enough to win those drafts then you basically get your prodcut back in prizes. There's still the matter of the 2 tickets to play though. So, you need to draft at least 1 money rare per draft. Not get paired up against some broken deck round 1. Not get hosed or screwed either. Then you're about at break even level... Basically it's a loss unless you're really good (which I am in the Core set format). Then I honestly break even. I win when it's Nix Tix but I'm only slightly ahead when it isn't.. I wind up selling all the good cards to dealers for more tickets to keep playing and buy packs when I get a 1st round loss. I think the # of perpetual drafters keeps the value of cards online waaaay too low. It must be easy for an online dealer to build and redeem sets. That would likely suck as a job but it's still easy.

I live next to a big hub of CCG dealers here and Warcraft isn't that big right now. At least from a sellers perspective. Maybe it is elsewhere. I don't think any CCG will ever come close to actually competing with MTG.
I don't think another game (at this time) can hurt MTG, Like MTG did to TSR and their catalog of games. Nobody thought TSR could go down though so you never know...

There's too many sets with 0 playables in any good format. Why collect a set of Prophecy or something if you never play the cards.. Usually there's like 1 good card in a lot of sets so it's easier to just get a set of those cards and who cares about the rest. Then you get back to overwhelming new players. Imagine starting up just now and seeing all the cards that have been printed. It would be too insane to try and collect them all...

Ok, that's what I think!

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Note;

Another problem with playing online is that cards start out with a $$ value. That value declines very rapidly.. So cards like Treetop Village, Mogg Fanatic hold some value right now where I can get several tickets for a playset of each. A year from now those cards will likely be 1 ticket for a playset.. So, a year from now I'd theoretically have to be near perfect to make my money back (just break even) to draft that set.
I had a near 1900 rating when I was doing the last 999 (as well as 888 and 777 even) and barely broke even. Possibly even lost during those last months. That's how low the card values become.. It also gets so bad that I'd top 8 a sealed and still lose $$$ if I didn't break out of that 1st round and the 4 pack prize. It's a real losing proposition and I don't believe that anyone can honestly go infinite in draft formats because those change too frequently and the card values always get worse:'-(

Meanwhile idiots like me flood the dealers with 1000's of cards which I'm sure they redeem and flood the market with :wink:

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm

One last thing! Sorry..

I live next to Franks (Frank and Sons) and am going to go today actually.
They don't have much old stuff there recently so I doubt there's a serious problem. I'd get worried if a lot of the old good stuff was available for cheap :wink: It sucks to be you if you don't have a place like Franks next to your house.