P-9 art

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

random
Librarities Legend

P-9 art

Post by random » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am

Anyone seen any of these sell lately? If it gets to the point where I could get a Frazetta out of the deal...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Magic-the-Gathering- ... dZViewItem

I'm unsure if the seller is correct about WOTC buying these up at any point either? They let go of all the TSR paintings (TSR had the same idea about starting up a museum of its artwork) several years ago for no costs to the artists who produced them. If anyone knows I'd be glad to hear about it :wink:

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:23 am

It was my understanding that these all sold at a gallery event back in 94. I have never seen an original MTG piece hit even 5 figures, let alone 6. I think this must be a joke.

and FWIW, you can get a smaller Frazetta for a much more "affordable" price than this.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:55 am

I think this must be a joke.
I feel that way most of the time but the reality is that it usually isn't >:-(

The Frazetta I want is kinda pricey :wink:

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:41 am

I know Magic art is extremely cheap, but I don't really expect it to blow up. There's no way any piece of Magic art, even Lotus, would top $50k.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 am

I'm also really curious about this statement he makes that WOTC is buying up "key" pieces of art. What's that about? What is key? And why would they do that after giving away all of the art they acquired from TSR?

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:42 am

There's no way any piece of Magic art, even Lotus, would top $50k
Maybe after were all dead and gone and if MTG is still going :wink:

I think there's one special piece, the original logo itself, that has the most potential...

TSR art is generally superior in all ways and some of those are approaching/clearing 10K. Maybe, just maybe, a few of them will get way up there in value. I think that Northwatch could get near 30K today and maybe the original DM Hardcover book would clear 20K. There's a large offer out there as well for the 1st Forgotten Realms Parkinson cover.

MTG doesn't have any really transcendent works that have crossed into pop culture the way that other genre stuff has. The cards are just too small... That being said, when Frazetta passes on it's possible that his better works clear 1 million or maybe more and then that leaves the door open to Donato and maybe a few more MTG guys who might be able to capitalize from that. Then those MTG pieces could even possibly become high end mini paintings worth several thousands...

Anyways, that sucks! I got really excited when I saw that auction >:-(

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:15 am

my 2000 best offer was declined :(
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:22 pm

pickle.69 wrote:my 2000 best offer was declined :(
haha! Well he does warn that anything below 50k will be auto-declined.

random wrote:MTG doesn't have any really transcendent works that have crossed into pop culture the way that other genre stuff has. The cards are just too small...
Although the cards are small, some of the art is pretty decent size. I don't think this is true for most/all of the alpha run art. IMO none of that is really quality art that could stand on its own value without its MTG legacy. But Donato (as you mentioned) and a few other artists have done fantastic full sized art for later sets, and many of the old TSR artists have done excellent MTG pieces as well. As far as crossing into pop culture, all we need is one collected fantasy art coffee table book to come out that includes some MTG art for this to happen, and history shows us this is bound to happen eventually.

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 pm

This guy is nuts......I would say the Pearl would top out at 10k at most.....its a p9 card, but the art itself is pretty underwhelming....I mean, hang that on your wall and let 100 non-magic people pass by, I doubt it would generate much conversation.

Juzam would hit $25,000 tomorrow if sold.....The guy who owns it, has turned down $20,000+ multiple times, including from WOTC.....

I could see some art hitting crazy prices, but I agree, nothing would ever approach $50,000 any time soon.....

The original magic logo art is still at WOTC, it used to hang in one of the back rooms at the old renton tournament center.....I never asked if it was real, but it was in a super nice frame and mounted on the wall.

Someone find me the Original Erhnam art! I would pay $3000.00 cash in a heartbeat!

Later EddieO

johnstown713
Legendary Boy Of 713

Post by johnstown713 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:14 pm

Any Idea how I would go about tracking down the original artwork for Meltdown?

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:02 am

Start with the artist.....and pray they kept good records.....most didn't, especially the early stuff. As time went on, they seem to have done a better job in general, but still lots of poor record keeping.

If the artist does know, attempt to work out a deal to get in touch with the buyer.....some artists will just tell you, some won't, but will usually forward your message.

You may get lucky and the artist might still have it...

Later EddieO