Beta Serra Angel Artist Proof w/ Sketch by Doug Shuler!

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

BadMagic
Librarities Member

Beta Serra Angel Artist Proof w/ Sketch by Doug Shuler!

Post by BadMagic » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:55 pm

All - I saw this & thought there might be some interest. The last Beta Serra Artist Proof I remember seeing on eBay was several years ago & sold for $650 as a single, w/o sketch.

I interacted with the seller to learn that it's Doug Shuler who's selling this item... In his original listing, he didn't announce this & had USA shipping only. He's changed the listing to International Shipping so all can participate!

During my interaction, I learned that Doug only received 30 of these & not the ~50 that he received for other Beta APs... which means these are much more rare than standard Proofs!

I hope everyone enjoys - Never thought Serra could look so innocent :)
Tony

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:50 pm

The quantity of these APs is still probably 50. There was probably some WotC employee who decided to take the other 20 and only ship off the other 30...

Best rgeards,

Rainsford

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Rainsford wrote:The quantity of these APs is still probably 50. There was probably some WotC employee who decided to take the other 20 and only ship off the other 30... Rainsford
OUCH! I really don't think George would have doen that.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:09 pm

I was under the impression that many proofs (A/B) had a number of them lost in the mail, accidently destroyed or thrown away or simply not printed?

I wish I had the $$$ for this one! I love that sketch, original Serra is so sexy!

bigbob585
Librarities Member

Post by bigbob585 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:46 pm

my apologies.. i didn't mean it that way.
Last edited by bigbob585 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:08 am

bigbob585 wrote:...as rainsford said. They we're probably lost in the mail..pile.. and didn't get mailed out
To assume that someone in the mail room at WotC stole them is an injustice to some good hard working people. In the early days almost everyone that worked for WotC was a personal friend or at least an acquaintance of Peters. But, if you like to assume the worst in people, go ahead, that is your choice. I will provide some thoughts for consideration, however.

APs were not a part of the artists "payment". They were gratis (I have no idea how it is handled now days). Thus there was no real emphasis on "exactly 50" by CM or WotC. And despite what some artists will say today (when they can get some decent money for one of their APs) several artists thought little or nothing of the APs. They threw them in a corner of the garage and forgot them.

So, it was not unusual for artists to get a number other than 50 (or whatever the target number was for a given set). Some received 41 or 56 or some other odd number and not always did they all get the same number. There were a lot of reasons for this. Bad sheets, bad cuts, lost cards--human error before they even left CM. Did anyone care? In those days VERY FEW!!!!

I'll finish with this. Some mail room people like George Lowe don't deserve the insinuations made in the above two posts. He is one of the finest Christian gentlemen I have ever met.
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

tetsuo42
Librarities Hero

Post by tetsuo42 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:03 am

Chilax bro. From what I've seen, the posters aren't accusing anybody of anything. If anything, just supposin'...

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:04 pm

tetsuo42 wrote:Chilax bro. From what I've seen, the posters aren't accusing anybody of anything. If anything, just supposin'...
Who said anything about accusing?
Gary Adkison

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:10 pm

ritnecrowin wrote:I was under the impression that many proofs (A/B) had a number of them lost in the mail, accidently destroyed or thrown away or simply not printed?

I wish I had the $$$ for this one! I love that sketch, original Serra is so sexy!
haha well from the smaller picture it looked like she had a black eye....
one small one big ;)