Interesting Fake Black Lotus Auction Find

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Interesting Fake Black Lotus Auction Find

Post by Hayden » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:59 am

So I was checking recent Lotus sales on eBay and came across this...

Which since it is from ccghouse I must assume it is 100% legit

Now look at this other seller who sold a Beta Black Lotus with the exact same title as the ccghouse auction (ending less than 1 week after the ccg auction)

Wow what a coincidence that it had the same title... look closer now at the card pic... EXACTLY THE SAME PIC. Itsybitsysupplier stole ccghouse's auction title and image for this presumably fake auction.

And the best part is that the seller sold this high value item with (0) feedback to a presumably reputable seller by the name of the-magic.shop who somehow was satisfied enough with the sale of this fake auction in less than 1 day to leave +ve feedback like shown here

So to summarize...

Either ccghouse got a hold of itsys lotus pic and posted it a week before itsy did as a fake auction (not bloodly likely)

OR Itsy is the fake Lotus seller and the-magic.shop helped him out by leaving +ve fb (being either the same person or a legit other party that got sucked in by the fake sale, maybe didn't end up paying but still left +ve fb for the unscrupulous seller)... either way I now have 2 new eBay sellers that are on my black-list.

Now to be fair, one could argue that Itsy started their auction just prior to ccg's auction ending with the same copied pic and title knowing that a few hours later they would win that exact card from ccg using a different account. Then they paid for it and got it in hand in time to sell it at half their buying price and deliver it to the new buyer in less than 24 hrs.
... LMAO yaaah riiiight! (but at least I am fair)

No wonder nobody trusts eBay sales for vintage and high valued cards any more - too many jerks like this in the market... Well I for one am going to do whatever I can to expose them whenever I see this kind of crap.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:18 am

It is possible, although very unlikely, that the low fb seller simply plagiarised the picture which ccghouse used, as well as the title. It isn't kosher by eBay policy to do that, but it wouldn't be the same as outright fraud. On the other hand, looking for power on eBay is getting to be more and more risky, and new seller + stolen picture/title + nonchalant product description usually = avoid. The guy who won it could either have been a shill feedback or might lack the experience to discern a fake (or it might have been an actual lotus that was received -- we won't know).

It must be said that ccghouse isn't exactly the most righteous seller around either. Between selling a rebacked lotus recently and grossly overpricing some of their misprints, its standing with some rarities collectors has been frayed.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:37 pm

ouallada wrote:...ccghouse...grossly overpricing...
Like this?

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:46 pm

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:51 pm

I have seen that angel offered by them for half that price. They must be taking into account the 400% inflation rate so that they can break even.

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:11 pm

I hate CCGHouse so much XD