Note to self.... slaps selfs head...

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Note to self.... slaps selfs head...

Post by Giediprime41 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:19 am

Well.. note to self...
When bidding on a Summer Black Knight auction double check your bid of $250.00 to see if you stupidly put a bid of $550.00!! instead !! :-O
And for my stupid act... i'm rewarded with a $150.00 stupid charge up the crack....
Well that's the lesson for the day...calls ones self a dumb a*s*s.... crap. :'-(
I guess it's payback for the great Will-O'-The-Wisp price. ](*,)
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:26 am

Wow is $400 a lot for that one. I tried to get the Drain Life at $55, but I guess my EDH will have no Summer in it.

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:28 am

LOL, there there... its ok. You still got what you wanted in the end. $150 is just money and replaceable. The joy you get out of getting what you want is still worth that price in the end.

PS. Invest in an automated auction sniping program

I've used Auctionsentry since 2002 and its well worth the price I paid ($14.99 lifetime), now its $9.95 a year BUT still well worth it.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Re: Note to self.... slaps selfs head...

Post by berkumps » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:43 am

Giediprime41 wrote:Well.. note to self...
When bidding on a Summer Black Knight auction double check your bid of $250.00 to see if you stupidly put a bid of $550.00!! instead !! :-O
And for my stupid act... i'm rewarded with a $150.00 stupid charge up the crack....
Well that's the lesson for the day...calls ones self a dumb a*s*s.... crap. :'-(
I guess it's payback for the great Will-O'-The-Wisp price. ](*,)
Well, $250 would not have won it for you, but I'm guessing you would have been fine with that. I'm sure the other bidder was surprised that their overvalued snipe wasn't enough to take it down (thanks to your $550 mistake).

Reminds me of when I bid $50ea on 6 Korean 5th starter decks thinking my bid would outbid the highest bidder, but not understanding how dutch auctions worked, I cost myself $150 more than needed. I felt like I had been kicked squarely in the nuts when I saw an invoice of $300+ for 6 starters. Whoops!

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:21 am

I hear ya... I too have made similar typo blunders that have resulted in spending more coinage than I wanted.

But something confuses me in your case...
You put your last bid in aprox 3.5 mins before auction closed. The total at that time would have been $255.00 as your bid of 550 would have taken out the top spot of 250. So you should have been able to immediately see that you were the high bidder at an amount above what you thought you bid (the $250 intended bid) - and alarm bells should have started to ring. And with around 3 minutes left you could have retracted your bid and reentered the correct amount.

Congratz on winning the BK btw... but what happened? How come you did not correct yoru mistaken bid. Bid mistakes during sniping are something that one has to live with, but in your case you should have had time to fix the error. (unless I am reading eBs bid retraction rules wrong - I have never canceled or retracted a bid myself so not basing this on actual experience)

.. just wondering? :-k

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:12 am

If im not mistaken bids within an hour of close can not be retracted.

jamesham

Post by jamesham » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:32 am

everyone makes mistakes bidding and on the bright side it's a cool card that will always be cool
i've spent hundreds of dollars on promos that are worth virtually nothing now
:'-(
live and learn
Underneath all reason lies delirium, and drift. - Deleuze

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:04 pm

wizard1 wrote:If im not mistaken bids within an hour of close can not be retracted.
Oh that makes sense now. I thought that might be a rule but I could not find it.

Anyway, James is right - that is a really cool card to own so don't sweat the cost.

But if you really still feel that you made a mistake and overbid, then try asking the seller to cancel your winning bid and they can make a second chance offer to the runner up. This Summer seller is very nice so they might help you out, but I would do it soon.

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Hayden wrote:How come you did not correct yoru mistaken bid.

The old rule was you can't retract bids after twelve hours i think.
But with all these new rules...i can't keep up with them.
I did see that after the bid of $255.00 i was still in the lead, but i was looking at the Mana Flare too and it was ending first...lol.
Then when the Flare ended i thought ..."crap, what did i just do and i can't retract that either".

Well now i guess you can...the rule reads:
Time restrictions for retracting a bid. "Auction ends in less than 12 hours?,...Yes, but only if you retract the bid within one hour of placing it".
Result is:
"When you retract the bid, we remove only your most recent bid. Bids you placed prior to the last 12 hours of the listing are not removed".
So yes i could've retracted the bid...but i didn't know it. :-\ :-(
Oh well... ](*,)
I don't mind paying a little more, besides in about a year it will be worth about $400.00 the way summer prices keep going...right?
Plus you figure that whom ever the person was that tried to snipe me wasn't willing to pay the price they sniped for...they were just trying to overshoot my bid and win with a high bid.
Asking them to pay their snipe bid will get you laughed at.
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!