Beckett in the Business

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Beckett in the Business

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:59 pm

This may not be news to some but it was to me.

http://marketplace.beckett.com/search#s ... &rowNum=50

It looks like Beckett is running some kind of card listing for shops. Have they always done this for Magic? Their new web site seems to work much better than the old one so maybe I just didn't navigate the old site well enough.

I would imagine regular sports card prices would much more stable. Magic, Pokemon, etc. cards fluctuate so much more. It will be interesting to see how heavy regular sports card dealers get into this, how long they keep it up and how it will impact the gaming card companies--if at all.

This happened in the day of the yellow rat when dozens of card shops wanted to obtain "premier" status so they could order rat cards direct from WotC. One shop on my route actually installed a "play area". It was a card table behind the counter with 2 chairs.......

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Magic cards have been listed on their marketplace for some time Gary. It was just near impossible to find them as none of their links would work to take you to them.

Beckett has been trying to revamp their website for the last 10+ years to join the modern age. Their search function sucks, their registry sucks (if it happens to be working on the day you are trying) and it is nightmare to navigate.

That being said, their cards tend to bring more as compared to identical graded cards from other services and the holders they use are the best in the business. If they ever figure out their web issues, I can see myself making the switch over to them from PSA
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!