Miscut Apoclaypse sealed booster

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:41 am

Good find!

We have just had the power restored to the house after three days, when it rains in Queensland it really rains! I would have missed this one for sure!

@CHaPuZaS: That is really stretching the friendship a bit :) but I do not want to get into a bidding war and although this would be a great addition to any booster collection I am happy to back out of this one, if you decide not to bid for it just let me know and I will be putting on a snipe for sure...

As to it being fake, I tend to agree, either a fake or a mock up pre-production type of thing but Occam's Razor points to it being produced by someone other than WotC.

The only fake boosters I have come across have the horizontal sealing along the ends.

Maybe this was an employee using different equipment to try something out or maybe someone got hold of a roll of the booster packaging and is having some fun.

It appears there is more than one in existence, but this does not help much, maybe someone is making them for fun and profit or maybe WotC produced half a dozen to hand out to employees to get their feedback.

Personally I collect fake boosters, and seeing this it would fit into my collection as a fake or as a genuine miscut, either would work. I think it shows part of the production process and is valuable for that reason alone! I don’t know anything about booster packaging but from this and other mistakes (such as crimped cards) I can guess that there is a big tube of booster wrappers, probably on a roll. The wrapper is already folded over and sealed along the median seam. The bottom is probably sealed first, the wrapper inflated, the cards fired in and then the booster is sealed, the booster is cut from the main tube and then it starts all over again.

The price is a bit high for a fake, especially if there is the capacity to make 100’s more. It is good for a genuine mistake though.

I would not be sorry if this did not enter my collection because it really could just be someone with a roll of wrappers wondering what to do with them and as much as I support individual enterprise I don’t really think that we need to encourage this sort of behaviour.

Without a bit more history or providence I would find it hard to believe that this is a genuine error.

Still pretty cool though!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:04 am

If only someone had a non-error pack sealed like this

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 am

l0qii wrote:If only someone had a non-error pack sealed like this
Well I will of course look when I get back, any excuse to pull all the boxes out again!