How to tell if ity's alt 4'th ed. W/O a blacklight

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

MightyMorphling

How to tell if ity's alt 4'th ed. W/O a blacklight

Post by MightyMorphling » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:05 am

Can anybody tell me how to tell the diffrence between normal 4'th ED. and alternate 4'th ED. without using a blacklight?

I have some 4'th ED. that feels diffrent, and I suspect they may be alt 4'th ed. but I have no clue, and I don't own a black light.
Thanks in advance

Scans http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/M ... t4thed.jpg

I scanned the backs of both of those cards, and noticed one has a diffrent dot pattern, just like it says it's supposed to on the description page.

1 of those cards is normal 4'th ed. and the other I suspect to be Alt 4'th Ed.

MagicRumorMill

Re: How to tell if ity's alt 4'th ed. W/O a blackl

Post by MagicRumorMill » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:55 pm

mightymorphling wrote:Can anybody tell me how to tell the diffrence between normal 4'th ED. and alternate 4'th ED. without using a blacklight?

I have some 4'th ED. that feels diffrent, and I suspect they may be alt 4'th ed. but I have no clue, and I don't own a black light.
Thanks in advance

Scans http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/M ... t4thed.jpg

I scanned the backs of both of those cards, and noticed one has a diffrent dot pattern, just like it says it's supposed to on the description page.

1 of those cards is normal 4'th ed. and the other I suspect to be Alt 4'th Ed.

There may be other ways than this, however, it does work.  Grab a stack of 4th about 2 or more inches thick face down.  Drop the stack straight down from about a foot up.  It will cut to the alt 4th.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:57 pm

Look at the upper-right corner of the 'a' in Magic on the back - if it is a lighter blue than the rest of the 'a', it is normal, if it is darker, its alt. 4th.

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:40 pm

the left one is alternate...the right is normal 4th.

just as Celebrimdor says,
the op right of the "a" in magic.
If it is the normal blue, it is alt, if it has a slight discoloration, it is normal 4th.

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:35 am

SWEET!  
Now that I know that little splotch denotes it as regular 4th I found out i have 3 Alt 4th Llanowar Elves! I know they're not worth much but it's still cool.

MightyMorphling

Post by MightyMorphling » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:14 am

Thanks for the tips :)
I found 4 more in my pile of 4'th ed stuff, because of the Darker corner in the A tip :)
I found 53 total, 48 of which I knew were diffrent because of the cardstock, the other 4 I could only tell bhy looking at the A on the back of the card.
Too bad they're all beat up, due to me hating WB cards, and not caring about any of them, they're all messed up now :(
I would love to collect a set, but who wants beat up cards in a set. Oh well, thanks for the tips :)