SGC Grading Service

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tha_Gunslinga

SGC Grading Service

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:08 am

So, I got an SGC-graded card on Ebay, a Beta Sapphire.  I was planning to play with it, so I cracked the case with a butter knife and pulled the card out.  The case had no obvious security seal or anything, so I could have easily reglued it with another card in it.  Anyway, the "Beta" Sapphire turned out to be rebacked Collector's Edition, and a fairly bad fake.  The corners weren't rounded correctly, and the back had slight ripples.  When I bend-tested it, it started looking MUCH worse.  I'm in the process of getting a refund, but that's not the point.  The seller claims that he had the card graded himself, so this would mean that SGC graded an obvious fake.

Has anyone used SGC?  Do they normally grade Magic cards?

mintcollector

Re: SGC Grading Service

Post by mintcollector » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:55 am

No I have not used SGC.  In fact I abhor every grading service out there as there are a plethora of mistakes they are making.  I feel my personal grading exceeds any commercially offered.

I feel bad for you having to go through that mess getting money back for P9 paid for.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:15 am

tha_gunslinga wrote:So, I got an SGC-graded card on Ebay, a Beta Sapphire.  I was planning to play with it, so I cracked the case with a butter knife and pulled the card out.  The case had no obvious security seal or anything, so I could have easily reglued it with another card in it.  Anyway, the "Beta" Sapphire turned out to be rebacked Collector's Edition, and a fairly bad fake.  The corners weren't rounded correctly, and the back had slight ripples.  When I bend-tested it, it started looking MUCH worse.  I'm in the process of getting a refund, but that's not the point.  The seller claims that he had the card graded himself, so this would mean that SGC graded an obvious fake.

Has anyone used SGC?  Do they normally grade Magic cards?
Are you saying that the seller intentionally had a fake graded, then sold it?  

implode

Post by implode » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:41 am

celebrindor wrote: Are you saying that the seller intentionally had a fake graded, then sold it?  
More then likly popped real card in and inserted fake--honestly I can't see a professional grader making that big of a mistake.

Cardhaus

Post by Cardhaus » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:10 am

We ended up buying a card from the same seller, a Beta Jet off Ebay about 2 weeks later.  Ben dropped me an email before I received our card and told me the problem with the card he won being counterfeit.  When I received mine, one quick look was all it took to realize the card was not genuine.  

Since SGC offers a refund for any slabbed card that proves not to be real, I sent the card back to SGC along with a real Beta card for a refund of our purchase price.  I have spoken to a representative there and have been assured that there was indeed a problem with the card and that I will be receiving a check to cover our loss.

This marks the second time we have owned a card graded by SGC, both Beta Moxes, and each time the card has been a counterfeit.  Unfortunately, with the exception of PSA or Beckett, these graders have no idea what they are supposed to be looking for with regards to a genuine card.  Both cards I received were so blatently fraudulent even sitting inside the cases that you had to wonder what the graders (minimum of 3!) were all looking at.  It seems that all these companies are trying to cash in on a fast buck that can be made by slabbing gaming cards these days.

I do not believe the slab was tampered after being factory sealed.  Typically, the plastics used will splinter or crack if you try to do this (I bust low graded PSA cards out of slabs all the time) and it ALWAYS leaves telltale marks of tampering.  I think it was just a case of the grading service not having any clue what they were doing and having the unfortunate luck of having a buyer that knew how to handle the situation.  I feel very bad about Ben and his loss but since he had already opened his slab before he contacted me about his card there was no way I could relay the information about the SGC warranty.  

Ben, you should try to file a claim with Paypal saying the card you received was counterfeit.  It is a longshot but you might be able to get a resolution in your favor.  I will help in the matter any way I can.

Len

silver.paladin

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:30 am

cardhaus wrote:Ben, you should try to file a claim with Paypal saying the card you received was counterfeit.  It is a longshot but you might be able to get a resolution in your favor.  I will help in the matter any way I can.

Len
With luck, he will be able to do this, but the real bad thing I find with dealing in claims with PayPal, is that unless it is within the 30 day window, they will completely ignore the claim.  I had paid high dollars for a case that I did not receive, and then received an email from the seller apolagizing that his costs were higher than his revenues, so he was unable to send me product or a refund.  I sent everything I had to PayPal a few times, but all I got was automatic ignore messages, because my claims were after the 30 days.  A 30 day window is pretty small in an online payment world with real-time delivery world.

Tha_Gunslinga

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:24 am

I've got a refund pending.  I'm glad SGC is refunding you; hopefully the seller can get a refund from them as well, for the Sapphire as well as grading fees.  I'm pretty unimpressed with any service that would grade such obvious fakes.

hammr7

Post by hammr7 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:28 am

Ben,

Glad to hear things are going well.  Let me know when you get the refund.