Inspected and sold Boosters

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alifromcairo2

Inspected and sold Boosters

Post by Alifromcairo2 » Tue May 10, 2005 8:35 pm

Good day to all  8).

This topic about a problem well knew from the collectors, it is a matter of the boosters of old editions (I think about ABU, Arabian, Antiquities etc. ..) inspected, opened and put back  >:(.  You already did the experience to buy a doubtful or visibly handled booster?  Which are the details allowing the recognition of such boosters?  Is it sure to buy old boosters to the bids on internet ?  ??? I recently did the acquisition of an Alpha booster with a salesman that seemed me serious.  I need your opinions on the subject.  Thank-you.

psrex

Re: Inspected and sold Boosters

Post by psrex » Tue May 10, 2005 9:03 pm

Welcome!

The problem with the old boosters isn't that they are opened and then resealed.  What one can do is to slide the cards up inside the booster one at a time so that the card name is under the white portion of the booster wrapper.  When the card is on this part of the wrapper you can read the card names.  Unfortunately there is no way to tell if a particular pack has been scanned or not unless you know that it's just been taken out of a sealed booster box.

mintcollector

Re: Inspected and sold Boosters

Post by mintcollector » Tue May 10, 2005 10:11 pm

psrex wrote:Welcome!

The problem with the old boosters isn't that they are opened and then resealed.  What one can do is to slide the cards up inside the booster one at a time so that the card name is under the white portion of the booster wrapper.  When the card is on this part of the wrapper you can read the card names.  Unfortunately there is no way to tell if a particular pack has been scanned or not unless you know that it's just been taken out of a sealed booster box.
The ability to tell whether a booster has been 'sifted' may or may not show signs of wear.  Excessive or poor sifting will result in wear/stretch marks on the upper portion of the pack.  You are correct though that you cannot tell for sure if a pack has been sifted or not.  I just wanted to point out that sifting may indeed damage the booster wrapper and be noticeable if done too frequent or poor handling is used.  You can tell by stretch marks if the booster wrapping was strained too much.  I have seen this on a Legends pack before at Heroes Unlimited here in Illinois.  

Alifromcairo2:  Boosters are not your only concern.  I have heard urban legends on starters being open, cards looked at, then re-shrink wrapped for resale if the cards are unworthy to keep, or other cards substituted in place and the re-packaged.  Please note, not everyone knows of the ability to sift a pack or is untrustworthy enough to do it, but you can never be 100% sure if anyone has sifted the pack.  It may not even be the person you bought the booster/starter from but someone before them.  Unless you are collecting boosters/starters, I suggest avoiding earlier sets all together.