Your Hard Work

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Celebrindor

Re: Your Hard Work

Post by Celebrindor » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:02 pm

stefke wrote:I collect Lands. My goal is to get a version of all Basic and Non-Basic English Land in my binder.

These include:
all Basic Land non-Foil + Foil.
all non-Basic Land from Alpha untill now.
all Promo/arena/FNM Lands.
all Lands from special series like Anthologies, Beatdown, Battle Royale etc.
all Apac/euro/guru Lands.
all Lands from World Champion Decks.

So far they exclude:
Summer Lands
Alternate 4th Lands
Alpha+Beta Duals

I'm missing some 90 basic Lands non-foil ( have all foil versions ) because I only decided to also start collecting the non-foil versions next to the foils about a week ago. I also still need 30 out of 142 Foil Non-Basic Land, 28 non-Foil non-basic Land, 12 Arena League Lands, 4 Guru Lands and a lot of Lands from World Champion Lands.

There are currently some 1200 to 1300 different Lands in my binder :)

Collecting Lands is a never ending project for me. I keep discovering new Lands that I hadn't heard of when I started collecting ( mainly because of this site. Thanks Magiclibrary!!).
Do you collect non-English foil Basic Lands?

Stefke aka magic dsb

Post by Stefke aka magic dsb » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:39 pm

No, only English :)

I'm not coming anywhere near your FBL-Project. No worries! :D

pickle.69

Post by pickle.69 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:59 pm

As of today I do not collect Arabian Nights Mountains  anymore. I collect 82 and sold 52 today.
I am trying to get all kinds of fillers, one of each kind of non- standart misprints (packing, cutting or color defects) I only have very little of those but I am improving.
My alpha set was/is (5 missing) a very hard work as I picked up every card one by one. Save money and buy a set is what I concluded in this attempt as I did spend a lot of money on it and the majority of cards are not nm/mint.
Alpha Playset of all cards not restricted is my next Long Term project.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:36 pm

stefke wrote:No, only English :)

I'm not coming anywhere near your FBL-Project. No worries! :D
I wasnt worried, I was hoping you had spares!  ;D

normalbrains

Post by normalbrains » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:40 am

stefke wrote:I collect Lands.
So far they exclude:
Summer Lands
Alternate 4th Lands
Alpha+Beta Duals
i have a set of all 15 summer lands that id like to sell. email if youre interested.

normalbrains@yahoo.com

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:39 am

My first P9 set  :(
only got a Lotus, Ruby and Twister so far...
Most of my friends seem to be lucky at getting P9 at a cheap price  ???

psrex

Post by psrex » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:53 am

My current project is filling out my draft box to one of every card by name.  I've got a ways to go, but so far I haven't really spent any money on the project (aside from postage for trades).

I think that a fun project would be to see if it's possible to get a full set of P9 while starting off with just one piece of power.  If I can sell off enough cards to afford it I'd like to get a Mox Pearl, trade it down for duals and other decent cards, sell the cards on Ebay, buy a new piece of power and then repeat.  Given how crazy some people will go when trading up for power I think that it shouldn't take too long to be able to afford two pieces of power.  Of course the end goal is also to help fill out my draft box, but I don't see any other way to complete the project while only adding $20 a month to my "Magic allowance" that I give myself.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:02 am

What do you mean 'draft box'?

psrex

Post by psrex » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:18 am

celebrindor wrote:What do you mean 'draft box'?
Check out these links:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/bb33

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/bb35

Before my recent move to NH I had assembled about 5000 cards for the draft box and I would play every day with people at work over lunch.  We started off doing 4 to 5 person drafts with simulated packs built out of the draft box, and for maybe the last 7-8 months before my move (and of course leaving my old job) we had changed to doing sealed deck style play.  We'd build our initial decks from an initial allotment of 12 cards in each color, 8 artifacts, 5 gold and 3 non-basic lands.  After about a week we'd add a second pack of 5 of each color, 3 artifacts, 2 gold and 1 non-basic land and then a similar pack the next week.  This style of play is endlessly varied and it really levels the field when there are very large differences in collection sizes.  I highly recommend building a draft box if you can.  The hard part is keeping your list current of what you still need for the box and keeping duplicates from creeping in.

(BTW:  I include portal, unglued and unhinged in the draft box.)

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:45 am

My current project is my Kev Walker Collection. Right now i'm focusing on only the foils, and if i ever get that finished i'll move backwards and get cards that predate foils.
My collection is a bit weird tho because i'm trying to get playsets of every card. My reason for this is so I can make decks out of my collection.

Currently I only have about 60-70 foils of his, Both the non-promo 8th Boxtoppers, Volrath Life counter(from Duelist) and about 20 pre-foil cards(including a Cruel Tutor). I have a loong way to go.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:54 pm

psrex wrote:My current project is filling out my draft box to one of every card by name.  I've got a ways to go, but so far I haven't really spent any money on the project (aside from postage for trades).

I think that a fun project would be to see if it's possible to get a full set of P9 while starting off with just one piece of power.  If I can sell off enough cards to afford it I'd like to get a Mox Pearl, trade it down for duals and other decent cards, sell the cards on Ebay, buy a new piece of power and then repeat.  Given how crazy some people will go when trading up for power I think that it shouldn't take too long to be able to afford two pieces of power.  Of course the end goal is also to help fill out my draft box, but I don't see any other way to complete the project while only adding $20 a month to my "Magic allowance" that I give myself.
T2 cards depreciate way too quickly before you can sell them on ebay  :(

MagicRumorMill

Post by MagicRumorMill » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:10 am

charlie wrote: T2 cards depreciate way too quickly before you can sell them on ebay  :(

That is why you presell.   8)

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:33 am

magicrumormill wrote:

That is why you presell.   8)
Thats why you prebuy.  I got a playset of Ravagers for $8 :D

merfolkguy

Post by merfolkguy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:59 pm

I believe I have about 315 of the 725 or so merfolk and lords of atlantis in print.  While it's an almost impossible goal to finish, I enjoy trying.  I think foils in 9 languages kinda prevent you from something like this unless you have some wotc connections or have ties to distribution in all the foreign countries (or a lot of cash wouldn't hurt either.)

The summer lord also makes things difficult--I would imagine his going ebay value is as high as the rest of my collection.  Oh well, I'd rather have the other 63 lords anyway... (I have about 25).