Mis-cut fillers

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Celebrindor

Mis-cut fillers

Post by Celebrindor » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:21 am

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased 3 filler #10s (the all white front, normal back) from eBay.  They arrived today, and I am quite glad that I purchased three of them - they are all miscut!  The front is of course the normal filler 10 - all white, but the backs are shifted up - there is a lot of black on the bottom, and almost none at the top.

dragsamou

Re: Mis-cut fillers

Post by dragsamou » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:29 am

celebrindor wrote:About 2 weeks ago, I purchased 3 filler #10s (the all white front, normal back) from eBay.  They arrived today, and I am quite glad that I purchased three of them - they are all miscut!  The front is of course the normal filler 10 - all white, but the backs are shifted up - there is a lot of black on the bottom, and almost none at the top.
Hi Evan.
I hope it's not one of these Fake Fillers,that came from Normal Cards that were not glued together,a lot of Sellers on Ebay sold them by hundreds or these others were the Foil part was going off,that will explains the Miscut.A Scan will be great.Otherwise,it can be a Nice Find  :)

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:24 am

dragsamou wrote:
Hi Evan.
I hope it's not one of these Fake Fillers,that came from Normal Cards that were not glued together,a lot of Sellers on Ebay sold them by hundreds or these others were the Foil part was going off,that will explains the Miscut.A Scan will be great.Otherwise,it can be a Nice Find  :)
I am reasonably sure it is real.  The cardstock feels ok, and the front looks good (no erasing or seperating marks), and the card is thick enough.  Here is a scan of the back of the filler.  One thing I noticed is that the back seems quite dark (the card in the bottom right is from Alpha, the card in the upper left is from Mirrodin, I believe we discussed how the backs have been printed progressively lighter.)  This would imply that the fillers can from a relatively old set (probably around Stronghold, give or take a block, it is significantly darker than even an Invasion card).  I also noticed that the printing dots are a bit more pronounced than usual (but correct).

http://www.shadowslayers.net/f1.jpg

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:07 am

evan,
i think alexis meant in the meaning of the word "fake" : that they are the acetone fillers.

you know, normal (miscut in your case) cards from which the front have ben erased with the aid of acetone.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:17 am

axios wrote:evan,
i think alexis meant in the meaning of the word "fake" : that they are the acetone fillers.

you know, normal (miscut in your case) cards from which the front have ben erased with the aid of acetone.
They seem ok...     How can I tell for sure?

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:06 am

look really close, tilt them in a bright light, see if you can see any pink smudges.

the one i have seem to have pink smudges....

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:26 am

axios wrote:look really close, tilt them in a bright light, see if you can see any pink smudges.

the one i have seem to have pink smudges....
Nope, no pink.  Anyone want one?  

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:09 am

there were no fillers in alpha.  They put islands in all the extra spots. :/

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:12 am

dry_cereal wrote:there were no fillers in alpha.  They put islands in all the extra spots. :/
Only one of the fillers is pictured in the scan.  specifically, the card in the middle.  The card in the bottom right (Alpha Mons's) and the card in the upper left (cloudpost) are merely for comparison - different levels of darkness.

vandal08

Post by vandal08 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:58 am

If we are thinking of the same auctions...I won one of these as well, and the back was miscut just as your scan. The name of the seller was zenogais180fd2. You could tell in the auction scan as well that at least one of the backs was like this.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:34 am

vandal08 wrote:If we are thinking of the same auctions...I won one of these as well, and the back was miscut just as your scan. The name of the seller was zenogais180fd2. You could tell in the auction scan as well that at least one of the backs was like this.
Yes, that was indeed the name of the seller.  I was paying more attention to the fronts in the scans, not the backs, but it is indeed quite clear.