Info needed on a nonlicensed review of Alpha/Beta

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

theorgg

Info needed on a nonlicensed review of Alpha/Beta

Post by theorgg » Thu May 05, 2005 2:25 pm

Many years ago, I purchased a set of three posters with the cards from Alpha on them and a small booklet that reviewed every alpha and beta card.

I've recieved very mixed responses about the value of this item, and have not been able to find ANYTHING reguarding its production, print run, etc.

I know I purchased it at a Hobbytown around '95 or early in '96 for... well, possibly way too much.

dragsamou

Re: Info needed on a nonlicensed review of Alpha/B

Post by dragsamou » Thu May 05, 2005 3:55 pm

theorgg wrote:Many years ago, I purchased a set of three posters with the cards from Alpha on them and a small booklet that reviewed every alpha and beta card.

I've recieved very mixed responses about the value of this item, and have not been able to find ANYTHING reguarding its production, print run, etc.

I know I purchased it at a Hobbytown around '95 or early in '96 for... well, possibly way too much.
Hi.
Are you talking about that:
http://www.magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yab ... 1059391469

motorcitymagic

Post by motorcitymagic » Thu May 05, 2005 10:32 pm

I wrote up a short history of these, with some images.

http://wiki.mtgarchive.net/Charity_Fellowship_posters

Gryfalia

Post by Gryfalia » Thu May 05, 2005 11:23 pm

And my wife was supposed to scan the whole booklet in for me but screwed it up and hasn't gotten back to it yet.  Remind me to remind her again.

And hello, good to see you from the SCG boards..;-)

Gryfalia

Gryfalia

Post by Gryfalia » Thu May 05, 2005 11:27 pm

Not to mention that from what I glean from reading the booklet, the 'charity' was merely an organization that helped people finish sets by being a clearinghouse of sorts for cards.

I don't think it was a 'charity' in any way we would currently think of one..;-)

Gryfalia

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Fri May 06, 2005 1:19 am

gryfalia wrote:Not to mention that from what I glean from reading the booklet, the 'charity' was merely an organization that helped people finish sets by being a clearinghouse of sorts for cards.

I don't think it was a 'charity' in any way we would currently think of one..;-)

Gryfalia

correct

theorgg

Post by theorgg » Sat May 07, 2005 8:38 am

So these are pretty damn rare, huh?

I'm amazed they don't go for more than thirty to eighty dollars on Ebay if they're as rare as indicated.

Also, I have a black-on-blue version of the booklet instead of black-and-white version.  Any information on the different coloration of the booklet?

motorcitymagic

Post by motorcitymagic » Sat May 07, 2005 3:40 pm

theorgg wrote:Also, I have a black-on-blue version of the booklet instead of black-and-white version.  Any information on the different coloration of the booklet?
My set also has a black-on-blue cover, I think all the ones we refer to as "black-and-white are all the same.

braves54321

Post by braves54321 » Sun May 08, 2005 3:42 am

A local store that has been around forever had a bunch of these as of a few months ago. I bought one for $5, its still sealed. They had prolly 25 or so, I'll have to go back and see if they have any more. I had no clue these were rare and worth anything at all, it just looked cool.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sun May 08, 2005 8:01 am

braves54321 wrote:A local store that has been around forever had a bunch of these as of a few months ago. I bought one for $5, its still sealed. They had prolly 25 or so, I'll have to go back and see if they have any more. I had no clue these were rare and worth anything at all, it just looked cool.
If they do, I'd definately be interested in a set.