What are these Promos ???

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou

What are these Promos ???

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi Members.
I was having a look at Troll and Toad Special section
and I found this:
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p123635.html
So apparently these 4 Promos are from Ice Age:
Aurochs
Essence Flare
Prismatic ward
Word of Undoing

And I remember that:
The Ice Age promo commons are: Aurochs, Balduvian Barbarians, Bone Shaman, Chub Toad, Dire Wolves, Essence Flare, Flygja, Gaze of Pain, Gorilla Pack,
Norritt, Prismatic Ward, Scaled Wurm, Word of Undoing.  Almost 50% of the promo cards were Norritts.

So,I really wonder if after all some of them are not with Alternate Art(See the comment of one Buyer about Word of undoing).That will explain the 29,99$ for the Prismatic and the 99,99$ Prices for the 3 others.
I have opened different MTG Magazines and have a lot of the Ice Age Promos,but I never notify anything with the Normal card  ??? Did Special Versions was inserted in others Magazines,like Shadis for example but I check the Shadis Link:
http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Role-Playing/ ... dex/Shadis
Only the Essence Flare appears as a Promo in Issue 18 and 2 others Promo Card in Issue 22.Any infos about these Special Promo cards are welcomed  :)

AXIOS

Re: What are these Promos ???

Post by AXIOS » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:14 pm

load of bull from T&T.
The same with you,
i opened several magazines back then (just got into magic) also Shadis
and didn't find any alternate art ice age promo's
All the promo's were just preview cards, nothing different.
(maybe for the prismatic ward with the different mana symbol, but later all the prismatic wards seem to have the symbol like that..
I think the anynomous reviewer got mayorly screwed

hammr7

Post by hammr7 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:26 pm

I'm grasping at straws here - I remember that there were pre-release cards, including the ones mentioned above.  I thought there were very minor print differences in a couple of these cards.  I don't think there were ever any alternate arts.  I have 60 or 70 ice age common sets buried away somewhere.  If I ever come up for air I'll try to see if I can find any differences.

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:40 pm

hammr7 wrote:I'm grasping at straws here - I remember that there were pre-release cards, including the ones mentioned above.  I thought there were very minor print differences in a couple of these cards.  I don't think there were ever any alternate arts.  I have 60 or 70 ice age common sets buried away somewhere.  If I ever come up for air I'll try to see if I can find any differences.
Hi Hank.
After talking with one of our Members,I find out that there's definately differences between some of them,different colors(Chub Toad),different Mana cost(Fylgia),etc...What was very Mysterious for me was the Comment of the buyer of the Word of Undoing:
it doesn't get much cheaper than this if you're playing "bounce" folks. and superduper kool art too. recommend..
 -- By Anonymous from gainesville, FL USA on March 10, 2005
Maybe these are also Sealed packs of 50 Promos Cards
that they used to sell at T&T,that will explain the 99,99$
price.Anyway,I will get deeper into that story,hoping it's just New Misprints to find instead of New Promo Cards  :P

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:25 am

I cannot speak for ALL the card listed, but I have seen the Norrit and Auriochs from the magazines years back and compared them against their normal IA counterparts.  I detected no differences back then and determined them to be nothing special.  As far as the Chub Toad is concerned, color variations even within the same set are not uncommon 4E and earlier.  During a print cycle there are multiple runs done and color variations were present in the earlier sets.  Thus I would personally state the Chub Toad would not be worthy of calling it different.  The Fyglia is another story.  If it does have a different casting cost, this is proof enough to be a promo variant.  Any hopes of getting scans at all?  

On a side note since Jim left, Troll and Toad has dropped to  being a third rate store.  I trust them very little for info and credibility on stuff.  so unless someone can come up with definitive proof, there is nothing to this claim.

squt

Post by squt » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:13 am

Alexis-

The rumor about the different CC Fylgia was based on a misprint that occurred in a MTG companion book - all of my research indicates that it doesn't actually exist in real life.

Squt

squt

Post by squt » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:14 am

Also note that the reviewer says it has super dooper kool art, but not alternate art.

Squt

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:09 pm

squt wrote:Alexis-

The rumor about the different CC Fylgia was based on a misprint that occurred in a MTG companion book - all of my research indicates that it doesn't actually exist in real life.

Squt
Hi Mark.
In that case,I will ask for a Scan of the Fylgia, if possible.
EDIT:After checking,you are right about the Fylgia,the mistake came from the Companion Book.

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:57 pm

So in summary there are no IA promo cards then as suspected.  They are all just normal cards.

squt

Post by squt » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:59 am

That seems to be the case...so why did someone pay $99 for a word of undoing?  Jim...anything you can ad?

squt

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:17 pm

squt wrote:That seems to be the case...so why did someone pay $99 for a word of undoing?  Jim...anything you can ad?

squt
Hi Mark.
Jim doesn't work anymore at T&T ;)
I believe the 99$ are for a Sealed lot of 50 Promos Word of Undoing,if someone can call T&T to verify,that will be great,to solve that mystery.