BoK Instore Prerelease Foil Promo Card

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ponagger

Re: BoK Instore Prerelease Foil Promo Card

Post by Ponagger » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:32 am

Here in Australia, we (CardHeaven.com.au) recieved 64 Budoka's to give out in our instore "Sneak Peak" events. They are certainly not going to be that rare.

The thing that is astounding me about this thread - no one seems very excited by the new foiling technique. Completely different from the JJS foils! Our foil collector didn't seem very impressed by it, but all the players thought it was hot. The shiruken and "Betrayers" logo are extras in the foil, much like the Unhinged foils.

flatmatt

Post by flatmatt » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:37 am

ponagger wrote:The thing that is astounding me about this thread - no one seems very excited by the new foiling technique. Completely different from the JJS foils! Our foil collector didn't seem very impressed by it, but all the players thought it was hot. The shiruken and "Betrayers" logo are extras in the foil, much like the Unhinged foils.
Well how is this (the foiling) different from a prerelease promo?

rg

Post by rg » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:36 am

I don't know how the foiling works so i can not explain the differnces, but i made this two pictures so everyone can see it (i hope this helps):

1st with flashlight, 2nd without

Image Image

Mr.C

Post by Mr.C » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:55 am

It seems that the foil is 'glossier', no?

flatmatt

Post by flatmatt » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:41 am

Ah, I see, I thought that all the scans were just bad scans.  [smiley=laugh.gif]  Still, it doesn't look too exciting just from the images.  Maybe I'll just have to pick one up for myself.

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:31 pm

Ahh, i see what you mean about the different foiling technique. There's a foil pattern over the text portions of the card, kinda like the new jss foils but a different pattern.

magicdude

Post by magicdude » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:11 am

The 'official' prereleases (22/23 jan) in the Netherlands had 'Ink-Eyes' as the promo.
The instore prerelease (28/30 jan) in the Netherlands had 'Budoka Pupil' as the promo.
As far as I know, this will be the 'normal' way for prerelease cards to be distributed from now on (at least in the Netherlands), starting with Betrayers of Kamigawa.
'Official' prereleases (2 weeks before release) will have a foil rare, instore prereleases (1 week before release) will have a foil uncommon.

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:39 am

This is great and all, but my question is what do I file this under?  Would I put it with my other prerelease cards or as a different type of promo?   ???

silver.paladin

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:16 am

bigfatkitty wrote:This is great and all, but my question is what do I file this under?  Would I put it with my other prerelease cards or as a different type of promo?   ???
At the moment, I would guess that this would get filed immediately behind its 'normal' pre-release card.

In a way, this reminds me of the Alt-Art foil cards, like came with Planeshift - seeing as how it has the *asterik* before the card #.

Perhaps they might belong to the Standard Alternate Art Cards section??  As with SylvanStu below, will wait to see how Ralph decides to handle them.

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:13 am

I think they should have their own catagory. I was waiting to see what Ralph was going to do. I'm curious what others think and why.

I beleive theese are not prerelease cards but in-store prerelease cards. they have no date and are uncommon. So they should have their own catagory. [smiley=ok.gif]

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:37 am

Due mainly to the lack of a date, I would agree that these belong with the standard alt. art cards.

monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:12 am

We had a similar discussion not too long ago about whether or not the Rukh Egg belonged with the other pre-release cards.  The consensus at that time was that it did.  Many of the arguments to oust that card from the pre-release section are now being made for this card (it has no date, tournaments not billed as classic “pre-releaseâ€￾ tournaments etc…).   I don’t know where this card belongs (and I still don’t know where the Rukh Egg belongs), but I guess another subset within the pre-release section could be created for “In-Store Pre-Release Eventsâ€￾.  I don’t think it belongs in the Alternate Art section since the art is the same as the standard card.  It is only the foiling process and logos that differ.   I had planned on just putting this one next to the Ink-Eyes in my binder before this topic popped up.  

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:18 am

monkeymadness wrote:We had a similar discussion not too long ago about whether or not the Rukh Egg belonged with the other pre-release cards.  The consensus at that time was that it did.  Many of the arguments to oust that card from the pre-release section are now being made for this card (it has no date, tournaments not billed as classic “pre-releaseâ€￾ tournaments etc…).   I don’t know where this card belongs (and I still don’t know where the Rukh Egg belongs), but I guess another subset within the pre-release section could be created for “In-Store Pre-Release Eventsâ€￾.  I don’t think it belongs in the Alternate Art section since the art is the same as the standard card.  It is only the foiling process and logos that differ.   I had planned on just putting this one next to the Ink-Eyes in my binder before this topic popped up.  
Thats quite a good idea - if they do this with every set, it won't be a single-card category for long.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:41 am

The central aspect of this card is its promotional character, so categories which cover cards available in purchasable products are out of question. The next important step is its origin. Since it has been given out at a Prerelease Tournament, adding it to other cards which have been awarded on a similar occasion in the past is a natural choice. The only question in my opinion is where to place it within this section.

(Note: I have resorted the section not long ago and divided regular expert level prerelease cards from cards with a nonstandard prerelease or release event origin. Some time in the future, it might become a good idea to further differentiate between prerelease and release event cards (with Ass Whuppin and Rukh Egg, there are currently 2 Release Event cards, maybe Ninth Edition will bring a third one), but this is not necessary at the moment due to the low number of cards in this subsection.)

I see two viable options for the card at the moment:

1. Add it next to Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
2. Create an own subsection of Instore Prerelease Tournament cards.

I prefer the former option, because Instore Prerelease Tournaments are not a new invention, but have been in existence for a long time, (I will need to know exact data of these events by the way.) and until Betrayers of Kamigawa, at these events, the same Prerelease card which had been given out at the normal Prerelease Tournaments has been handed out again. As a consequence, we do not have two separate groups of cards (normal Prerelease cards and Instore Prerelease cards), but we have one group of cards (the new group of specifically designed Instore Prerelease cards) which is part of a greater group (the standard Prerelease card both for standard and Instore Prerelease Tournaments), a subgroup of a subgroup in other words. Since the website is based upon a three level system (main section, section, subsection), it makes more sense to keep the subsubsection (Instore Prerelease cards) undivided from the subsection (standard and Instore Prerelease cards) than to disrupt the structure and set them next to each other.

rg

Post by rg » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:04 pm

The official term Amigo uses is: Instore Prerelease Promo-Karte (Karte is german for card)