Price of boosters in other countries

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

l0qii

Price of boosters in other countries

Post by l0qii » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:31 am

I have a friend who is currently in Caracas, Venezuala for his job. He says he's found only one place selling magic cards and hey were asking the equivalent of $25 a pack?!

Is this sort of thing typical? I always assumed the price of a booster was relatively the same everywhere.

mintcollector

Re: Price of boosters in other countries

Post by mintcollector » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:38 pm

I also have heard that in some areas product commands premium prices.  I do know that Iguana Comics in Iowa used to pay top dollar for any high end cards.  The reason is that they would sell overseas at bloated prices.  I had many friends who used to make road trips out there any come back with car loads of cash.  This of course was prior to eBay and a lot of the other online trading forums.  Having to pay for premium prices may still be in effect in some areas.  I would be interested to hear about current prices and what people have to pay in general for their stuff.

I have connections though and get my booster boxes for $57, and all my Arena and FNM cards for $3 each.  What does everyone else have to pay?  Also list where you are from.  I am from Wheeling, IL, just outside of Chicago.

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:40 pm

Hi,

Though I'm impressed by the Venezulian price of booster packs, I can confirm that packs prices vary from one country to another.

It varies because of the marketing policy of WotC in each country but also because of the exchange rate variations.

Currently a MtG pack in France costs €3.6 - €3.8, which is above $4 because of a high euro at the moment.

Maybe Venezuelian currency has suffered severe depreciation recently ...

Regards,
Eric.

Crazyx

Post by Crazyx » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:18 am

Boosters cost the same here (3,80 EUR), but FNM foils and so go form 6 EUR or more. But a lot of single cards are more expensive here in the netherlands than on ebay.com.  :(

Cizzio

Post by Cizzio » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:27 am

4$ here in sweden too per booster pack
127$ per booster box

with the current rate 1$ = 8.655 SEK

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:21 am

4 euro in the netherlands wich is about 4.50 dollar
but currently im getting my boxes 75 euro each

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:28 am

Well l0qii, although no one so far has gotten up to $25, you can see prices are higher outside of the US.  I would be interested to see what user has to pay the highest price.  Lord_of_Llanowar is the winner so far (outside of the alleged $25 in Venezuela).

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:01 am

also 4 euro's over here.(Assen or Beilen (NL))
i buy boosterboxes until now for 90 euro's.

I stopped buying boosterboxes since 8th, i hate the new look!

GavinO

Post by GavinO » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:21 am

One store near me started charging premium prices for Onslaught and Scourge to make up for losses taken on Legions (he overstocked, under the impression the set would be huge, then it flopped) I think that the price has returned to MSRP, as he really didn't have all that much Magic business anyway after he killed his 20-person-a-week FNM ('I'm losing money even though its being trhown at me every week!')

I remember when I vacationed to Europe last year that packs seemed a bit expensive (I was going to pick up some foreign language ones for kicks, but only ones I could find were in English! Thats what i get for shopping in tourist places, I guess) but not on the level that you described for Venezuela (you think that as drug import for the US is shifting there, that perhaps it is causing inflation?)

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:04 am

Mint Collector is Allen selling you boxes that cheap you lucky dog.   ....oh by the way from Lombard Il.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:10 am

So Europe seems at a slight premium, but still no word from anyone else in the more obscure countries. Anyone from Asia or South America, I'd be very interested in hearing from.

I told my friend to look for Spanish language cards, so I'm assuming the packs he found were Spanish. I'm also assuming they were from one of the newer sets, but he didn't specify which set it was.

Venezuela had a big oil strike recently that caused a lot of confusion, but I don't think their economy collapsed or anything. $25 we both agreed was outrageous, and wondered if it was just because he was in the touristy area of the capital.

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:36 pm

sylvanstu wrote:Mint Collector is Allen selling you boxes that cheap you lucky dog.   ....oh by the way from Lombard Il.
I actually get my boxes through my brother-in-law.  He owns a store in Chicago (Apocalypse Comics) and I get my boxes through him.  My wife still jokes that this is the reason why I married her!
;D

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:30 am

hehe , can you send me about 10 boxes at 60 each orso :D(too much deliverycosts i quess :D))

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:25 am

yeah, I'd order a ton of boxes too, but I'm not his brother-in-law.   :P

gamingjim

Post by gamingjim » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:38 pm

I will sell any one  on the forum,  boxes at $62.00 Plus shipping. Just let me know.