frequency of AN and Revised basic lands & Summer

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Madness Games

Re: frequency of AN and Revised basic lands &

Post by Madness Games » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:39 am

The auction for the 3 sealed and one open Summer pack was me.  I had purchased 8 sealed packs from an ex-WotC employee.  As he stated it, there were dump bins of random boosters in small quantities around the offices for employees to use to practice with.  The Summer packs were labeled in the offices with a large green 'E' just to signify what printing they came from.  People within the company knew of the 'Edgar' printing, but truthfully had limited interest in it.  Test printings, prototypes and sample cards simply no big deal.  They were unique or near-unique items, but that was it.  These kinds of items are very common around the offices of any publications company.

Of those 8 packs, here's what I noticed...
   They were all facing the front of the pack.  This by itself is not a clear indicator simply because I have seen Revised packs facing both directions.    
   They were all marked with the green 'E'.
   They varied in physical condition from very tattered to near perfect mint.

In order to prove I knew what I was talking about to my partners, I grabbed two packs and opened them.   One of them had the hurricane.    I sold the other open pack to a long time customer that was working on a set.  I sold three packs to private individuals. (erloo)  The pack that had the hurricane and the last three sealed packs I decided to ebay off.

print run

Several years ago I came up with this from various sources around the hobby...

assuming 35 booster boxes
rares --- 10 of each
uncommons --- 30 of each
commons --- 110 of each
basic lands --- 150 of each picture

I believe these numbers to be too low.  I have had three seperate hurricanes over the past six years.  I have seen three MIllstones owned by the same guy!

This is my best guess...

40-50 boxes (all booster boxes---this is 100% confirmed from sources at WotC to me personally)

rares --- 10-20 of each (depending on colation)
uncommons --- 30-50 of each
commons --- 110-170 of each
basic lands --- 175-225 of each picture

This is all very difficult to pin down because of the way the box colation occurs.  Even if we knew for absolute fact that there were exactly say 41 boxes, it still would only be a guess as to the specific card counts on this small of a number of boxes.

Also, I know of one person that possesses a sealed box.  I cannot say who or how, but it is out there and will most likely never appear out on the market for any price.

Also, having stores in north Texas, we have had Summer singles in five seperate collections we've purchased.  Mostly lands and commons and uncommons, with the best two things so far, VF Sol Ring and NM Balance.

On the basic lands on revised sheets, here's what I came up with for Alpha/Beta

Alpha Production Run                                                

200       Starter Display cases                                          
         10 boxes per case                                          
2,000      Starter boxes                                          
         60 cards per deck (2 rares, 13 uncommons and 45 commons)                                          
     (avg. of 20 basic land per deck)(3 in uncommon slots and 17 in common slots)                                          
     SRP $7.95/deck (Released July 1993)                                          

200      Booster Display cases                                          
        10 boxes per case                                          
2,000      Booster boxes                                          
         15 cards per pack (1 rare, 3 uncommons and 11 commons)                                          
       (avg. of 4 to 5 basic land per pack)                                      (4 in common slots and 2 out of 3 packs will have 1 basic land in an uncommon slot)                                          
     SRP $2.45/pack (Released July 1993)                                          
     Print Runs                                          
     2.6 million total cards printed                                          
     Rares                    1,100 of each                                    
     Uncommons      4,500 of each                                    
     Commons             16,000 of each                                    
     Basic Land      85,500 of each pic            

Beta Production Run                                                

650      Starter Display cases                                          
        10 boxes per case                                          
6,500      Starter boxes                                          
        60 cards per deck (2 rares, 13 uncommons and 45 commons)                                          
     (avg. of 20 basic land per deck)(3 in uncommon slots and 17 in common slots)                                          
     SRP $7.95/deck (Released August 1993)                                          

720      Booster Display cases                                          
       10 boxes per case                                          
7,200      Booster boxes                                          
        15 cards per pack (1 rare, 3 uncommons and 11 commons)                                          
     (avg. of 4 to 5 basic land per pack)                                          
     (4 in common slots and 2 out of 3 packs will have 1 basic land in an uncommon slot)                                          
     SRP $2.45/pack (released August 1993)                                          
     Print Runs                                          
     7.8 million total cards printed                                          
     Rares                     3,200 of each                                    
     Uncommons      13,500 of each                                    
     Commons                48,000 of each                                    Basic Land      171,500 of each pic      

Hope this helps,

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:16 am

madness wrote:
Also, I know of one person that possesses a sealed box.  I cannot say who or how, but it is out there and will most likely never appear out on the market for any price.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:42 am

How do you it is summer?  If you know of a way to differentiate summer from Revised without opening the box, it would be nice to know...

Madness Games

Post by Madness Games » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:20 am

All of the Edgar printing was packaged in standard Revised packs and boxes.  No Starters were produced.  This person was involved with the production of this set and kept one box of it since they cancelled the rest of the production and had ordered the remaing to be destroyed.  I know it is authentic because of who he is and how it was that he got it.  It is for real, but you cannot tell any differance on the outside of the box.

MagicRumorMill

Post by MagicRumorMill » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:24 am

madness wrote:All of the Edgar printing was packaged in standard Revised packs and boxes.  No Starters were produced.  This person was involved with the production of this set and kept one box of it since they cancelled the rest of the production and had ordered the remaing to be destroyed.  I know it is authentic because of who he is and how it was that he got it.  It is for real, but you cannot tell any differance on the outside of the box.

Wow!!  If you ever did decide to auction it off.  It may be a hard convincing.  It may actually be worth more opened.   :-/

ende73

Re: Summer Magic Booster Box question

Post by ende73 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:37 pm

erl00 wrote:
Yep! That's right, I have a beautiful Nettling Imp facing the back of the pack :)

And you're also right, as the packs are "scannable", it's possible to identify them without opening them.

Anyway, a transaction involving a Summer pack would at least require extreme level of confidence or third party such as Jim or Inca to make sure there's no rip-off ...

Regards,
Eric.
Did you ever try scanning all the cards in the pack?

I know you might fear ruining it, but if you saw a Demonic Tutor or Serendib Efreet or Hurricane or Lightning Bolt + Dark Ritual, then it might be worth opening !

crimson30

Re: Summer Magic Booster Box question

Post by crimson30 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:27 pm

fvzappa wrote:You bet! Given the value of the Hurricane (an uncommon, remember) makes it worth opening to prove it. I thought the same thing too. I'm curious as to what were in the other 3 packs. Much like most Revised packs, they were probably worth more unopened.
ende73 wrote:
Did you ever try scanning all the cards in the pack?

I know you might fear ruining it, but if you saw a Demonic Tutor or Serendib Efreet or Hurricane or Lightning Bolt + Dark Ritual, then it might be worth opening !

Just thought I'd chime in with my .02 for the curious.  I was the guy that bought those packs on eBay (with BIN).  I originally planned (and still do, basically) to wait until I could sell the packs and just keep the Hurricane for free (or very little, anyway).

I scanned the packs and wrote down what I found on a small piece of paper that I keep in the box that I keep them in, but am currently away from home.  I distinctly remember there being a Fungasaur.  I remember thinking "Drat! Why couldn't Fungasaur be a good card?!", since the only beta rare I own is also a Fungasaur.  I believe one of the packs contains an StP and I think in the very same pack is a Sol Ring (score!).  I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a Dwarven Weaponsmith in there... and I forget the rest (nothing to get excited about).  I forget the rares.  I remember the opened rare from the Hurricane is the Hive, but can't really think of the rest beyond the Fungasaur.

I kind of wish I hadn't scanned them myself.  I beat 2 of the packs up a little in the process (not bad at all, just made some very minor creases).  I probably devalued them a couple hundred bucks in the process!  :-[