frequency of AN and Revised basic lands & Summer

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

gamingjim

Re: Summer Magic Booster Box question

Post by gamingjim » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:37 pm

mintcollector wrote:
I spoke with Jim on this topic earlier when trying to do some number theory on how much Summer there would be.  What did not jive was to explain how Summer lands existed then if only boosters were supposed to exist.  After talking with Jim, he did state that there are summer starters.  This makes sense, otherwise how could there be Summer land?  Basic lands were never put in boosters by the time Revise/Summer/Edgar was rolling.
Hi
I think you miss heard me on the phone. I said I never saw any Summer starters in my life time.
Also I can say there is more then 20 of any summer uncommons. The reason I have had more then 20 of some.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:02 am

I've read- but can't confirm- that Summer packs had the cards facing the opposite direction. I could've sworn a few of you owned an unopened pack or two!

And, the last time I saw Summer packs being sold, there was a green "E" handwritten on the pack. I doubt that this was a standard thing, though.

And Jim, I talked to you recently, & you said you sent in some Summer to PSA. They marked them Revised. Did you keep them in the case?

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:11 am

fvzappa wrote:I've read- but can't confirm- that Summer packs had the cards facing the opposite direction. I could've sworn a few of you owned an unopened pack or two!

And, the last time I saw Summer packs being sold, there was a green "E" handwritten on the pack. I doubt that this was a standard thing, though.

And Jim, I talked to you recently, & you said you sent in some Summer to PSA. They marked them Revised. Did you keep them in the case?
well i dont know much about it , all i know is that erl00 has a summer pack with an e handwritten on it. Maybe thats the one you saw

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:14 am

fvzappa wrote:I've read- but can't confirm- that Summer packs had the cards facing the opposite direction. I could've sworn a few of you owned an unopened pack or two!

The cards facing the opposite Direction in the packs in not true.
I have one Revised pack and one Summer pack and cards are facing the same direction (ie. front of cards on the back on the booster).

Maybe some Summer packs had cards facing the opposiute direction, but not all ...

And the hanwritten "E" on my pack is definitely not "standard" ;)
I guess it was the initial owner who tagged them just in order to be sure not to get confused with revised packs.

Regards,
Eric.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:24 am

But then for another thing, if its impossible to seperate them, then how easy would it be  to sell a revised booster pack as summer edition (ok, your kinda busted when someone opens if, but that isnt very likely)

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:54 am

If I remember, there's a Nettling Imp in that pack Eric?

And Llanowar, anyone who busted enough packs in those days remembers that you can see through the packs (which is why starters are a better deal for the old base sets). So, you search the pack for the 1994 copyright on the bottom before opening, that way you know what you have- a very rare pack.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:02 am

fvzappa wrote:If I remember, there's a Nettling Imp in that pack Eric?

And Llanowar, anyone who busted enough packs in those days remembers that you can see through the packs (which is why starters are a better deal for the old base sets). So, you search the pack for the 1994 copyright on the bottom before opening, that way you know what you have- a very rare pack.
oh well
Ive been playing since about nemesis.
But thanks, that clears it up for me.

Vilan

Post by Vilan » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:29 am

Yeah, I remember seeing an eBay auction for a few Summer packs where the seller said he opened one just to confirm they were Summer and lo and behold, there was a blue Hurricane in it. I'd bet large sums of money he scanned all his packs and saw that one had a blue Hurricane so decided to "randomly" open that one so he'd get a higher price.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:13 pm

You bet! Given the value of the Hurricane (an uncommon, remember) makes it worth opening to prove it. I thought the same thing too. I'm curious as to what were in the other 3 packs. Much like most Revised packs, they were probably worth more unopened.

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:29 am

Yep! That's right, I have a beautiful Nettling Imp facing the back of the pack :)

And you're also right, as the packs are "scannable", it's possible to identify them without opening them.

Anyway, a transaction involving a Summer pack would at least require extreme level of confidence or third party such as Jim or Inca to make sure there's no rip-off ...

Regards,
Eric.

furiousavatar

Re: Revised Edition Basic Lands

Post by furiousavatar » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:57 pm

gryfalia wrote:Ok, here’s a silly question..

I know the conventional wisdom is that only about 10 boxes ever saw the light of day, but I am assuming that somehow the box itself was different.  And someone’s gotta know..;-)
Weren't there, only 8 boxes. 6 in texas that were stolen and two over seas.

Gryfalia

Post by Gryfalia » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:53 pm

That was the original story (well, 10 was), but since then it has become apparent that there was quite a bit more than that.  I think we've been pretty sure that 10 sets exist (man, I should search the old threads to check on this number, but I think it was 10), which is a lot more boxes than 10.

Gryfalia

Muldoon

Post by Muldoon » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:27 pm

Currently we're talking around 4-5 cases, aka 40-50 boxes :P
Nearly 15 of each rare is thought to exist, and there's probably some more out there still waiting to be discovered ;)

giediprime41

Post by giediprime41 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:10 pm

All the summer collectors should get together and have "summer magic treasure hunt", like in the goonies. ;D
"ROCKY-ROAD!"
Darren

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:00 pm

Well, until last week, no one had responded to this thread in almost a year, so I had not seen it yet.

It seems quite logical that wizards would keep several boxes of each set, or more.  As a matter of fact, I am sure they keep a lot more than "several".  I don't buy into the "gradual release" summer conspiracy theory, but I am sure they have some.  As a matter of fact, I don't even believe that all but one of the 1996 'Champions or Schizufickijiuan Dragon were destroyed - if they had this big ceremony where they destroyed the plates, and all of the rest of the cards on the sheet, than that proves nothing - they could have had 2 sheets printed, destroyed all but one card on one, and kept at least a few copies from the other.  I think it is highly unlikely that there is only one each of these cards.  In addition to massive amounts of known products, they probably have some things we've never seen, and probably never will.
giediprime41 wrote: All the summer collectors should get together and have "summer magic treasure hunt", like in the goonies. ;D
"ROCKY-ROAD!"
Darren
Yes, we should.  I am already in the process of buying massive quantities of revised starters and packs (hoping to pull mint duals, not summer), but finding some summer would be great.  Since revised boosters can be scanned, it would seem logical to buy either whole boxes or starters, so thats what i'm doing.  I don't expect to, but if I pull any summer, i'll let everyone know.

my Summer magic set: 300 cards