frequency of AN and Revised basic lands & Summer

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

l0qii

Re: Summer Magic Booster Box question

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:22 am

erl00 wrote: Usually you get 1 "uncommon" basic land per Revised pack (3/4 chance), plus 3 or 4 in place of commons.
I only remember 2 to 3 lands per pack, and it was very rare to find one in the uncommon slot. Much more rare than 3/4.

Tenacious_Dyl

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:12 am

Speaking of lands in booster's... what was the chance to get a Mountain in a pack of Arabian Nights? I thought I remembered it being pretty high... but I see very few mountains compared to other cards from Nights.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:47 am

Mountains were common, but were pulled from the second run of arabians, and so are rather rare. Arabians came in two  runs, and many of the commons have an A and B version. I think between these two versions is when Mountain got pulled.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:58 am

The Arabian Nights Mountain is a C1 card. Compared to other Arabian Nighs cards this can be rated as uncommon.

Tenacious_Dyl

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:02 am

Hrmm... thanks for the info guys :-)

But this doesn't make much sense.. apparently just the mountain was added to increase incentive on playing red.... but to make desert like a c10 (or something really high compared to the others) and make mountain a c1.. that seems like they are contradicting themselves.... oh well.

If only there were Arabian Night's Islands... I would love those :-)

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:59 am

The original plan was to have all 5 basic land types in arabians. They pulled the other 4, and I guess accidentally forgot to pull the mountain.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:48 am

This is correct. The initial design was to add basic land to Arabian Nights. This plan was changed at the last minute, however, and the basic lands were removed from the print sheet and were replaced by more copies of Desert. One slot was forgotten, however, which gave birth to the infamous Arabian Nights Mountain.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:56 am

Anyone know what images were planned for the other 4 land? Since the mountain was the same as one of the regular land artworks, the others probably were too, but it's interesting trivia.

Grapes17

Post by Grapes17 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:00 pm

Sounds like a good Ask Wizards question. I would be very interested in the answer. I would also most likely try to only play with those lands. It would be very cool.

BTW has anyone figured out a true, or as close as can be, number of rares, uncommons, and commons from Summer Magic. I have seen alot of different answers, from 4-6 of each rare to 10-15. I know Wizards answered it, but I don't think their numbers are incorrect since I have read so many other things to contridict this. Also, is there any accual estimate of how many cases exist of this. I guese it is pretty much the same question, but I am just cuirious. I heard that one went to Texas and one went to England. I have also herd Texas and Florida, which is a lot different from England.

One last thing, if it matters I talked to Mike Eliot while I was at Gencon about Summer Magic. I asked him if he knew anything about it. He said that there were deffinitly more than 20 of each uncomon because of the high amounth of blue Hurricanes. I told him that I heard about the two case deal, and he said that makes since. So I don't know. Anymore info would be appretiated.

Grapes17

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:42 pm

l0qii wrote:
I only remember 2 to 3 lands per pack, and it was very rare to find one in the uncommon slot. Much more rare than 3/4.
To be honest, I never made any stats.
It must be my bad mood when I found Unco basic lands that makes me think they were so frequent ;D

Anyone has a picture of a Revised Uncommon Sheet so that we can make accurate stats?

Regards,
Eric.

alotenor2

Post by alotenor2 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:15 pm

There are 26 basic lands on a revised uncommon sheet.  There are six each of Forest, Mountain, Plains and Swamp along with two Islands.  The reduced number of Islands is presumably due to there being Islands on the Alpha/Beta/Unlimited rare sheets.

If we make the assumptions that all the uncommons in a booster pack come from the same sheet and that the selection of each uncommon is independent of the other two, then the probability of at least one basic land in an uncommon slot of a booster pack is

1-(95/121)*(94/120)*(93/119) which is approximately 0.52.  

So just over half the booster packs would have at least one basic land in an uncommon slot.

The assumption that all the uncommons in a booster pack come from the same sheet is probably reasonable although not exact since 3 does not divide 121.   I have no idea how good the independence assumption is but I would have to know more about the WOTC packaging process before doing anything else.

Thrond

I remember...

Post by Thrond » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:13 pm

Long time ago (1997 :P), I opened a Arabian Night booster with 2 deserts inside of it. (And a Merchant Ship as uncommon  :-/)
Is this normal or was it a fake "booster" re-packed and re-sealed?

Erl00

Re: I remember...

Post by Erl00 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:59 pm

thrond wrote:Long time ago (1997 :P), I opened a Arabian Night booster with 2 deserts inside of it. (And a Merchant Ship as uncommon  :-/)
Is this normal or was it a fake "booster" re-packed and re-sealed?
Salut!

Desert was C11 !! Which means 2.5 to 11 times more common than other commons ... Having 2 in booster packs is unlucky but absolutely not impossible.

A+
Eric.

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:04 pm

alotenor2 wrote:There are 26 basic lands on a revised uncommon sheet.  There are six each of Forest, Mountain, Plains and Swamp along with two Islands.  The reduced number of Islands is presumably due to there being Islands on the Alpha/Beta/Unlimited rare sheets.

If we make the assumptions that all the uncommons in a booster pack come from the same sheet and that the selection of each uncommon is independent of the other two, then the probability of at least one basic land in an uncommon slot of a booster pack is

1-(95/121)*(94/120)*(93/119) which is approximately 0.52.  

So just over half the booster packs would have at least one basic land in an uncommon slot.

The assumption that all the uncommons in a booster pack come from the same sheet is probably reasonable although not exact since 3 does not divide 121.   I have no idea how good the independence assumption is but I would have to know more about the WOTC packaging process before doing anything else.
Maths! Good!! :)

If you make the assumption that the three uncos come from three separate sheets, this will not change much the probability:

1-(95/121)^3= ~51.6%

Though I don't know how the process was at this time, it seems that now carta mundi is using separate sheets for the uncos of a booster pack. It's the most probable conclusion I end up with considering the "case" of the English uncos in Portuguese Mirrodin packs.

(For memories, a Brazilian friend opened several packs of Portuguese Mirrodin last week and each time the second unco was in English instead of Portuguese).

;)
Eric.

motorcitymagic

Post by motorcitymagic » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:09 pm

alotenor2 wrote:So just over half the booster packs would have at least one basic land in an uncommon slot.
I've opened a lot of revised in my day, and I seem to remember opening lands as uncommons in less than about 25% of the packs. It don't think it was 50%.