frequency of AN and Revised basic lands & Summer

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Gryfalia

frequency of AN and Revised basic lands & Summer

Post by Gryfalia » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:03 am

Ok, here’s a silly question..

Anyone know how to tell a Summer Magic booster box from the outside?

I know the conventional wisdom is that only about 10 boxes ever saw the light of day, but I am assuming that somehow the box itself was different.  And someone’s gotta know..;-)

Thanks!

Gryfalia

Erl00

Re: Summer Magic Booster Box question

Post by Erl00 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:09 am

gryfalia wrote:Ok, here’s a silly question..

Anyone know how to tell a Summer Magic booster box from the outside?

I know the conventional wisdom is that only about 10 boxes ever saw the light of day, but I am assuming that somehow the box itself was different.  And someone’s gotta know..;-)

Thanks!

Gryfalia
I fear only divination can help you. Summer booster packs are completely identical to Revised one. I suppose it's the same for the boxes.

Regards,
Eric.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:58 pm

I also wonder, i hear all about wizards storage of older boxes.
Maybe they have boxes of summer magic stores somewhere.
cause i dont believe there is any proof they destroyed them all.

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:43 pm

lord_of_llanowar wrote:I also wonder, i hear all about wizards storage of older boxes.
Maybe they have boxes of summer magic stores somewhere.
cause i dont believe there is any proof they destroyed them all.
I am pretty sure they have some.
But I have no clue on whether these boxes will surface up to the free world one day or not (I hope not, it's more fun finding these when they are so rare. Ho, one exception: they can surface into my appartment, I won't mind ;D)

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:26 am

What is there reasoning on keeping some old boxes unless they were going to do something with them eventually.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:17 am

an overactive hording instinct that i think all mtg players have ;)

and also for their own historical record. I mena, what if in like 30 years they were put into some museum? you laugh about it now, but hey, if swatches and old macs are in museums, why not boxes of mtg cards

Tenacious_Dyl

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:06 am

Yeah, when WotC later wants to put something on display (museum or not) it kinda looks bad for them if they go "uh we are sorry... we don't have that... even though we made them".

Here is a question? I don't know much about box contents from the older game... but think on this...

If Summer was apparently a "fixed" version of Unlimited or Revised (I can't remember)... then perhaps any rulecards/rulebooks given in previous sets were added, changed, or removed... I don't know anything about this. But if for example Summer Ed boxes had 50 page rulebooks, and revised had 30 page rulebooks (or something comparable like that) you could go find a display of revised (yes they are out there, not very rare) you could use a professional scale to weigh the revised, and compare to possible summer boxes? Who knows....

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:14 am

Summer was a fixed version of Revised. There were no rule books in booster boxes. Rule books only came in Starters, and as far as I know, there aren't any Summer Starters? (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

Tenacious_Dyl

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:15 am

Ok... thanks for clarification :-)

Still... if the whole set was reprinted, and they changed some things... was there perhaps even an insert about the set, or *something* that would change the weight? A nice postal or jeweler's scale could snag that :-)

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:34 am

l0qii wrote:Summer was a fixed version of Revised. There were no rule books in booster boxes. Rule books only came in Starters, and as far as I know, there aren't any Summer Starters? (correct me if I'm wrong someone).
True, no Summer Starters ...
And I think that boxes are really identical and GamingJim could confirm. T&T had a box of Summer a few years ago. They only noticed it was Summer when customers complained about the revised packs they had purchased which were not containing revised cards ...

:)
Eric.

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:32 am

Yeah they were complaining then now I bet they aren't

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:44 am

erl00 wrote:
True, no Summer Starters ...
And I think that boxes are really identical and GamingJim could confirm. T&T had a box of Summer a few years ago. They only noticed it was Summer when customers complained about the revised packs they had purchased which were not containing revised cards ...

:)
Eric.
I spoke with Jim on this topic earlier when trying to do some number theory on how much Summer there would be.  What did not jive was to explain how Summer lands existed then if only boosters were supposed to exist.  After talking with Jim, he did state that there are summer starters.  This makes sense, otherwise how could there be Summer land?  Basic lands were never put in boosters by the time Revise/Summer/Edgar was rolling.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:08 am

mintcollector: I am sorry but you are wrong. Revised Edition boosters did contain basic land. The basic land cards were part of the common and uncommon print sheets, so you often found a basic land instead of a common or uncommon card. Since the latter case was not very liked by players, the whole concept was discontinued after Revised Edition. Fourth Edition introduced a separate basic land sheet and distributed lands only in starters.

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:56 am

I stand corrected then.  I started during 4th/Ice Age, so my knowledge of information prior to that is a little sketchy.  

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:23 am

I second Ralph!

There are lands in Revised packs, and in Summer too (I swear I have "seen" one ;)).

Usually you get 1 "uncommon" basic land per Revised pack (3/4 chance), plus 3 or 4 in place of commons.

Regards,
Eric.