Please answer the poll : Do you collect new released sets ?

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Do you collect each new released set ?

Yes all of them as they are released.
29%
Only the ones I like, not all of them.
18%
No, I stopped collecting sets, I only collect rarities now.
35%
I buy them all, but I wait till I find a good price.
18%

Total votes: 34

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 am

magic-belgium wrote:When a marketer does his job correctly, he can make the business grow tremendously as satisfy the consumers.
I guess what they need is someone to make quality and quantity marketing studies both in the collecting and playing aspects of the game.
They would get precious answers and develop the game...
I believe that they dropped the ball on making money with collectors but on the other hand, I'm not sure what type of imperical data they might have that relates to collecting and the 'bottom line'. I wish I did because I think it would be very interesting. They had a very large marketing division before the sale and I know they did a lot of work on where to put their effort. There must have been some reason for it but to me the fact that collecting never rated even a 'cell' of workers and the little I saw over the years that focused on collecting makes me think they lost out in that area.

I'm not sure that I could have done better because it is so easy to see backward but so hard to see the future.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:54 am

No one could have expected a company like Hasbro to do things right...

I once worked with Disney, and the things were exactly the same. They tend to think they had the divine speech, so no one can contradict them. But they always lose connections to their customers (most of them being faithful for years) trying to "think" what they could like while making lots of money...

There has been ups and downs in the MTG history, and there will be again in the future. I just hope they will make it last as long as monopoly for instance.

I've checked the latest spoilers from Alara, and though I love the arts (much more than Shadowmoor), most of the cards abilities are weird and worthless.

Do you think likewise or am I just misreading ?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:05 pm

magic-belgium wrote:I've checked the latest spoilers from Alara, and though I love the arts (much more than Shadowmoor), most of the cards abilities are weird and worthless.
Do you think likewise or am I just misreading ?
To be honest, I have not paid attention to any of the new updates. I seldem play any of the new cards. There is a group of us here that have plenty of old cards that we still haven't built the decks we want to try. Not much use in getting new stuff to play.

I do buy most of the PCDs and play with them, just to get a flavor.

So my opinion on that topic is worthless.... LOL
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:06 pm

PCD = preconstructed decks ?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:20 pm

magic-belgium wrote:PCD = preconstructed decks ?
Roger that (realizing that is soon to become another part of history and not the present).
Gary Adkison