Please answer the poll : Do you collect new released sets ?

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Do you collect each new released set ?

Yes all of them as they are released.
29%
Only the ones I like, not all of them.
18%
No, I stopped collecting sets, I only collect rarities now.
35%
I buy them all, but I wait till I find a good price.
18%

Total votes: 34

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Please answer the poll : Do you collect new released sets ?

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:04 pm

This poll is made to give us an idea of what the collectors are doing regarding the "complete sets". We've been discussing about the downfall of prices on the complete sets.

So please, even if you don't answer here, please vote.

Gary_a_Getty
Librarities Hero

Post by Gary_a_Getty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:15 pm

I buy them all, but I wait till I find a good price.

I buy 4 sets for every set which one must be foil and the others in different language .....

.....obviously i wait till i find a goooood price ............ :-D

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Stopped

Post by equi-nox76 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:21 pm

I stopped collecting sets since Future Sight which was a good set to end with.
The goal now is to get every card since the beginning till FS as a playset and if possible in mint condition (also the Promo's, Misprints, ... till December 2007, only the Lorwyn FOIL and non FOIL MPS promo lands make an exception) which will obviously take a looooooooooong time :-D
Chris

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:26 pm

I haven't collected a complete set since Tempest, with a couple exceptions for sets a really liked.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Need all of them x1 an english only.

hortar
Librarities Hero

Post by hortar » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Collect all of them, in Portuguese.
The Old ones that don't exists in Portuguese in English.
Also all the promos, and repacks.
My Projects:
All Portuguese Stuff
20 Beta Rares, Korean Cards,
Limited Editions (Russian, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese)
Japanese Chronicles
Promos

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:18 pm

I consider a set fair game for collecting once it has rotated out of Type 2, and then I'll need at least one of every card in English.

arctanx

Post by arctanx » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:35 pm

I buy one display of every new edition and do a lot of limited FNMs with rarepicking after the tournament. So it's not a big problem to get at least one english set.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:53 pm

For some languages, I also buy booster boxes and get the last rares from Online Shops or contacts.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:56 pm

I stopped collecting every set when 8th edition came out.

1) The change in the card facing sucked in my opinion.
2) The direction art, in general, took was very disappointing (Spirit Link was an insult to Kaja and a degradation of Kev Walkers very fine abilities).
3) I was really PO when WotC ignored the requests of a multitude of players to do something about the lack of color on artifacts. It was an arrogant attitude that I could not condone and didn't want to support.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:08 pm

When they say they are following users opinions, I wonder what opinions they are taking into account...

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 pm

magic-belgium wrote:When they say they are following users opinions, I wonder what opinions they are taking into account...
Basically any opinion that supports what they already want to do.

In all fairness to Mark Rosewater though, he really does a lot of sensing and seeking to find out what players are thinking. In the case of the placid artifacts, however, I know of no player sampling that was done and I have NEVER known of any "collector" sampling that has been done.

Remember. Many things happen in companies just because someone wants to make a name for themself--WotC is no different.

Example (I will not give all the details for personal reasons): When we were in the midst of the Hasbro sale Peter was running 90 MPH in a 40 zone most of the time. Someone tried to slip a major redesign through the system. Vince, (VP at the time, great guy and a former Boeing VP--that is another story--a real #1 corporate executive but not a gamer) was sold on the idea because of normal corporate logic and approved it. Richard Garfield and Skaff Elias knew it was a bad idea from a gaming point of view but Vince was much more interested in the business aspects. They did an end run on Vince and went to Peter--there was a very short meeting in which the decisions were re-evaluated with one two-letter word that starts with N.

Bottom line (totally personal opinion here) someone who was not to be with the company much longer wanted to go out with a big resume item.

Just emailed Peter and he doesn't remember that relocating casting cost was part of that redesign but it sticks in my mind that it was--really not sure.
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:48 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: Just emailed Peter and he doesn't remember that relocating casting cost was part of that redesign but it sticks in my mind that it was--really not sure.
It was. It was (potentially) relocated to down the left side. Some early test prints have been circulating lately of these.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/ ... tprint.jpg

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:25 pm

When a marketer does his job correctly, he can make the business grow tremendously as satisfy the consumers.

I guess what they need is someone to make quality and quantity marketing studies both in the collecting and playing aspects of the game.

They would get precious answers and develop the game...

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:20 am

l0qii wrote:It was. It was (potentially) relocated to down the left side. Some early test prints have been circulating lately of these.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/ ... tprint.jpg
Very interesting you should point this one out--I had forgotten about it. This is from Judgment (circa. 2002). We sold WotC in 99-2000 and the story above is from 99. Peter stayed on as the figurehead president for a little over a year after the sale. When he left this kinda thing started happening...LOL.

Even though it is awkwardly unbalanced I can tell quickly what the casting cost is. This spiral thing they have in Future Sight is confusing to me.
Gary Adkison