Should I open my Fallen Empires box ?

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Yes
25%
No
60%
Why are you wasting our time ?
15%

Total votes: 20

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi guys, bear with and old-time member like me since this is a not-too-serious poll and it's strictly personal too...

I'm sitting on a sealed Fallen Empires booster box. 60 packs with 8 cards each.

As we all know this is not too valuable even though it's pretty old (1994), since opening the packs would guarantee you 7-8 NM Hymn to Tourachs and little more...

Thus my best choice would probably be to keep it as it is, and see whether it grows in value in the future due to its "vintage item" status, or hope that some combos come out in the future involving cards in the set (check Grindstone from Tempest as an example when Painter's Servant was printed)... in my remote fantasies, that might happen with Icatian Town or Rainbow Vale maybe :-\

However, there's another factor which is very tempting for me to open the box.... and quite obviously that's the chance of pulling out misprinted / miscut cards. I personally saw people pull out Fillers or miscut cards from packs in the past, and got extremely jealous since I NEVER opened one single card myself which wasn't perfectly colored, centered etc. etc. !

What are your thoughts? Is the actual chance to find misprints worth the shot? In your experience, if the first packs I eventually opened were normal, would that have an impact on the chance that the other packs in the box contain no misprints too?

Thanks for your help.
ende73

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:28 pm

I think if you don't open it it might contain misprints, crimps and maybe a non appeared filler, also I have heard rumors that Alpha Volcanic Islands came from FE boxes. Once you open it you will just have the regular FE cards and with my luck not a single Hymne either.
ALso remeber, when its opend its opend. Mybe if you wait long enough your the only one with a seald box :)
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:33 pm

pickle.69 wrote:also I have heard rumors that Alpha Volcanic Islands came from FE boxes.
I believe yours was the only one in existence that we know of ?!

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Mybe if you wait long enough your the only one with a seald box :)
No chance, I have a sealed FE box since the early days and I don't waste any thought in open this box... O:)

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:41 pm

Mister Foilcard wrote:
Mybe if you wait long enough your the only one with a seald box :)
No chance, I have a sealed FE box since the early days and I don't waste any thought in open this box... O:)
I think there are quite a few unopened boxes around. Some in dealers back rooms with the same hope expressed above.

Open it. Then mine will be worth more......LOL

Gary

magicdude

Post by magicdude » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:20 pm

I've bought 2 FE boosters from Bram Snepvangers (for something like 5 Euros...) that contain something like 3 and 13 cards :-O instead of 8 and 8 (both are still sealed obviously...!). They will probably NEVER leave my collection, since that is the weirdest error I have...(together with the 5th Edition Counterspell with the 'Lightning Bolt' in the reverse ink)...
You might find something similar too!
Also... FE together with IA contain the most misprints/miscuts...
So I say "OPEN IT!"

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:40 am

flip a coin:

heads: dont open it
tails: dont open it
edge: open it, then buy a lottery ticket

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:46 am

I once thought about buying up as many sealed FE booster boxes as I could find in the hopes of opening miscuts, double prints, etc....but then I decided to buy Premiere Limited Wyvern boxes instead. We all know how well that turned out.

Moral of the story: Don't bother!