Direct posting of pictures--is it possible?

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Are you willing to donate for site update to direct post?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Yes, I'd donate
50%
No, don't care
25%
No, really can't afford it.
25%
I have web abilities and will donate time-work
No votes

Total votes: 4

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Direct posting of pictures--is it possible?

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:20 pm

On the other forums I visit, such as http://lugerforum.com/, I am able to post pictures directly to a thread from my files. It is really handy and greatly speeds up communication. Many times I just don't bother posting here because of all I have to go through to get it just right to load to my web site then just right to get it on a page here.

Is there any way to modify this board to do the same thing? Within reason, of course. I assume it would involve money but how much? I'm willing to donate.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Direct posting of pictures--is it possible?

Post by dragsamou » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:12 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:On the other forums I visit, such as http://lugerforum.com/, I am able to post pictures directly to a thread from my files. It is really handy and greatly speeds up communication. Many times I just don't bother posting here because of all I have to go through to get it just right to load to my web site then just right to get it on a page here.

Is there any way to modify this board to do the same thing? Within reason, of course. I assume it would involve money but how much? I'm willing to donate.

Gary
If someone knows a way and that at the same time it can reduce the scans automatically to a Max of 1000 so I don't have to reduce them like so many times...Let me know.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:18 pm

The only reason to do this would be to have the pictures stored for good even in old threads. For now when you check old threads, the picture links are usually broken.
The question is, do we have that much disc space available ?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:35 pm

mmgun wrote:The only reason to do this would be to have the pictures stored for good even in old threads. For now when you check old threads, the picture links are usually broken.
The question is, do we have that much disc space available ?
And that is a good question. I don't know what the other boards do for storage but Things are getting much cheaper in that area. You can get a 1Tb drive for $75 or less. When files are archived I assume they are compressed in some way. What is the monthly fee in Europe for a cloud subscription?

The link thing is a problem from another angle too. Everything I have ever posted on here is on an ISP that I will soon be parting company with. That means everything I have posted will be gone. I really don't want to be tied to that ISP just because I have pictures posted here.

I sure don't have all the answers but I am willing to work on them. I'm going to contact the Luger board to see what they do. I know they aren't rich people so their answer may help.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi Gary

I will ask my webmaster about it, but at this time of the year, he's overbusy between work and personal life, so as soon as I can, I will try to provide an answer, cause this is out of my technical skills :)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 pm

The other forums that I've been on have their own photo uploader, and that does make it much easier to post pictures. You can set a file size limit on the uploaded so that Alexis shouldn't have to resize pics anymore. It would be nice if the photos remained in the old threads when I was searching for info. I think it comes down to disk space as said above.

For awhile, you might see several people ask how to resize photos so that they are small enough to post.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:53 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:The other forums that I've been on have their own photo uploader, and that does make it much easier to post pictures. You can set a file size limit on the uploaded so that Alexis shouldn't have to resize pics anymore. It would be nice if the photos remained in the old threads when I was searching for info. I think it comes down to disk space as said above.

For awhile, you might see several people ask how to resize photos so that they are small enough to post.

Tav
Hi Tav

Valuable pics have been lost mainly because they were Ebay links, and also cause some Pics providers back in the years doesn't exist anymore, or some Members deleted their account on some, that's why for long time now, I try to save a lot of them on my computer to prevent those situations.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:00 pm

That is my concern, Alexis. There is a lot of historical information here that will never be anywhere else and I hope we can preserve it.

I realize there are some that just want a rape site that they can grab present info from for their personal benefit. That is their call. On the other hand I know there are many of us that would like to see a site that preserves the history of Magic for future generations.

The web site the Luger forum uses is: Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4. I have tried to get hold of the webmaster but there has not been a response yet. Their web site has a lot of information (selling info) but I would like to talk to someone that actually deals with it and try and find out costs and other issues. Hope I hear from them.

Gary
Gary Adkison

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:16 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:That is my concern, Alexis. There is a lot of historical information here that will never be anywhere else and I hope we can preserve it.

I realize there are some that just want a rape site that they can grab present info from for their personal benefit. That is their call. On the other hand I know there are many of us that would like to see a site that preserves the history of Magic for future generations.

The web site the Luger forum uses is: Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4. I have tried to get hold of the webmaster but there has not been a response yet. Their web site has a lot of information (selling info) but I would like to talk to someone that actually deals with it and try and find out costs and other issues. Hope I hear from them.

Gary
Hi Gary

This version of PhpBB is real old, and I believe that the latest version offers a lot more of possibilities, but at least, I know how to use it more or less, and I remember also that in the 2 previous transfers, a lot of posts and pics went lost, so for now, I stick with this one...
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:36 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Hi Gary

This version of PhpBB is real old, and I believe that the latest version offers a lot more of possibilities, but at least, I know how to use it more or less, and I remember also that in the 2 previous transfers, a lot of posts and pics went lost, so for now, I stick with this one...
Don't blame you a bit. Hate learning new software. If there is a newer version though it doesn't mean you will know the first thing about using it.... LOL. I upgraded my Access program to 2013 and can't use it for s..... so I am still using the 2007 version. Can do twice as much without banging my head on the keyboard.

Gary
Gary Adkison

vegas10
Librarities Hero

Post by vegas10 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:08 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
Hi Gary

Don't blame you a bit. Hate learning new software. If there is a newer version though it doesn't mean you will know the first thing about using it.... LOL. I upgraded my Access program to 2013 and can't use it for s..... so I am still using the 2007 version. Can do twice as much without banging my head on the keyboard.

Gary
I hear you on this one Gary newer doesn't always mean easier or better when it comes to software especially.