When does Santa come for you?

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

When do you open Christmas presents?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:01 pm

"The Night Before Christmas"
53%
"Christmas Morning"
40%
As soon as I have it and no one is looking....
7%

Total votes: 15

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

When does Santa come for you?

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:01 pm

Just a little holiday poll.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi Gary

The option: "I don't believe in Santa Claus" is missing héhé
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:17 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi Gary

I NEVER turn down Christmas presents. Believing in Santa is an option that is not needed to get your hands on more goodies (because nobody really knows--except you (and Santa)).

Thus, the present will be opened regardless of your belief in Santa/Kris or even Roudolf.

The philosophical question before us today is "when" will that happen.

However for unbelieving Frenchmen it won't matter. Your gift will vaporize when you open it because SANTA IS WATCHING YOU......
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:25 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
dragsamou wrote:Hi Gary

I NEVER turn down Christmas presents. Believing in Santa is an option that is not needed to get your hands on more goodies (because nobody really knows--except you (and Santa)).

Thus, the present will be opened regardless of your belief in Santa/Kris or even Roudolf.

The philosophical question before us today is "when" will that happen.

However for unbelieving Frenchmen it won't matter. Your gift will vaporize when you open it because SANTA IS WATCHING YOU......
Looks like Santa is your Big Brother :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Growing up, We would always go out and drive around on Christmas Eve to look at all the decorations. As we were leaving, my Mom would conveniently forget her purse and have to go back in the house to get it. (took me YEARS to figure that out) When we got back home, the presents were under the tree, so since Santa had already been to our house, we went ahead and opened gifts on Christmas Eve.

My Wifes tradition has been to open them Christmas Morning, so that's what we do now. Most people of spoken to open them Christmas Morning, which took a little while for me to get used to.

Tav

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:23 am

Nice story, Tav!

Back in Germany when I was young gifts were given Xmas Eve -- obviously! -- and exchanging gifts the following morning was known to us as how the English would do it. I learned only later that it differs even in Germany.
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

vegas10
Librarities Hero

Post by vegas10 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:10 am

We do both sort of, with her family on Xmas eve, then with the kids (from Santa) stuff on Xmas morning. And I get a Good xmas dinner 2 days in a row! sweet

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:14 am

You guys were so lucky!

In my family we would get to chose one gift on Christmas morning, we always chose the biggest because one year I chose a small heavy present and it turned out to be batteries for some other unknown electrical present that I couldn't open until later.

All the other presents had to wait until after Christmas dinner and I suspect that this was to keep us busy while the adults fell asleep.

Now I am married I have to contend with my wife's traditions; I have to hide all gifts because if she finds anything before Christmas she will open it. If any friends or workmates give us a gift for Christmas it is generally torn open in the car on the way home, often weeks before Christmas.

Ignore all the attempts to give me a clue as to what I am getting, because it generally ends with her telling me when I can't/won't guess.

Act delighted when she gives you a plastic carrier bag from the shop where your gift was bought, inside will be your gift, not wrapped, with the price (and discount sticker) still attached.

Argue with her mother about some twenty year old arbitrary price limit which has been set on the gift giving, $15 might have bought you loads in 1990 but you won't get much for it these days.

Try to explain Advent calendars again, once again reminding them why there is no point buying them in the January Sales.

Force the whole family to put up a few baubles on the nearest thing that looks like a christmas tree, I am sure the baubles were in the house when they bought it because you just can't buy junk that old, all the glitter has fallen off so what may have once looked like Cinderella's slipper now looks like a plastic shoe.

On Christmas morning any gifts that haven't already been opened are now opened, apologies are then exchanged. I buy my own gifts, so I am generally happy with what I get.

Then because it is about 32C (100F+) we don't have a cooked Christmas dinner.

Then we go for a Christmas swim until one of us gets stung by a jellyfish.

Then we go back home and I try and put together all the various presents for people who are even less mechanically minded than me.

All in all it is great fun.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:You guys were so lucky!

In my family we would get to chose one gift on Christmas morning, we always chose the biggest because one year I chose a small heavy present and it turned out to be batteries for some other unknown electrical present that I couldn't open until later.

All the other presents had to wait until after Christmas dinner and I suspect that this was to keep us busy while the adults fell asleep.

Now I am married I have to contend with my wife's traditions; I have to hide all gifts because if she finds anything before Christmas she will open it. If any friends or workmates give us a gift for Christmas it is generally torn open in the car on the way home, often weeks before Christmas.

Ignore all the attempts to give me a clue as to what I am getting, because it generally ends with her telling me when I can't/won't guess.

Act delighted when she gives you a plastic carrier bag from the shop where your gift was bought, inside will be your gift, not wrapped, with the price (and discount sticker) still attached.

Argue with her mother about some twenty year old arbitrary price limit which has been set on the gift giving, $15 might have bought you loads in 1990 but you won't get much for it these days.

Try to explain Advent calendars again, once again reminding them why there is no point buying them in the January Sales.

Force the whole family to put up a few baubles on the nearest thing that looks like a christmas tree, I am sure the baubles were in the house when they bought it because you just can't buy junk that old, all the glitter has fallen off so what may have once looked like Cinderella's slipper now looks like a plastic shoe.

On Christmas morning any gifts that haven't already been opened are now opened, apologies are then exchanged. I buy my own gifts, so I am generally happy with what I get.

Then because it is about 32C (100F+) we don't have a cooked Christmas dinner.

Then we go for a Christmas swim until one of us gets stung by a jellyfish.

Then we go back home and I try and put together all the various presents for people who are even less mechanically minded than me.

All in all it is great fun.
That post is EPIC =D> :-D
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:You guys were so lucky!
My Favourite part :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I can't vote. No Christmas and no gifts (apart from the exchange on here but I kinda payed for that myself) for me.

I don't recall anyone ever doing that Christmas morning thing on the 25th over here but I remember the Orthodox people celebrating on January 6/7th ... your pool is lacking options :wink:

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:35 pm

NeRo wrote:I can't vote. No Christmas and no gifts (apart from the exchange on here but I kinda payed for that myself) for me.

I don't recall anyone ever doing that Christmas morning thing on the 25th over here but I remember the Orthodox people celebrating on January 6/7th ... your pool is lacking options :wink:
NeRo; Actually the options are adequate. "Christmas" for the Russian(Greek) Orthodox is on Jan 6 (for those Orthodox that still follow the Julian calender). Though the month and day are different that means nothing. You might decide to celebrate the birth of Jesus at a time much more appropriate to the season of His actual birth, maybe spring or fall, then use the first option to mean the evening before the event and the morning as the day of the event. The traditional dates are way off but the true celebration/thankfulness of the event are in ones heart and need no time restrictions.

In any case, if you believe or not in His birth, I truly wish for you a holiday season that will place a warm feeling inside you and in some way lift your spirits with a hope that this world will be able to find peace and happiness.

Gary
Gary Adkison

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:In my family we would get to chose one gift on Christmas morning
Reminds me of good friends from years ago who had the "house rule" to open one gift a day. It was a family of six, so it usually took them into February to unwrap them all.
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:22 pm

awww man, I'm the 1 that opens presents when they are received and no one is looking.

However, this is because of co-workers. if you open a care package in front of others and they want a cookie or it looks like you received a good book to read (or whatever they see in the box), it's fair game.

*sighs*

Since I've had Christmas for the last like 11 years away from family, I forget what Christmas morning is like.

Thanksgiving is my family's biggest holiday, and I make it a point to try and make it home for that one. Sometimes I get Christmas presents then!

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Clay:

I remember those days. Open the package in the mail room and take the good stuff out ((never really minded giving my buddies "their share" of the sweets (in my case usually Brownies) but boy noting else got shared....)).

Where ever you are, my friend:

PEACE and a warm bed.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks Gary!

We aren't allowed to open mail in the mail room. There isn't room for but 2 people in the mail room (mail clerk and recipient), and there's usually a long line during mail call. Besides, open boxes spill, and you don't want to have to worry about spilling stuff when passing through the Gauntlet.

And so that everyone here knows, everyone I work with knows that MTG cards are NOT fair game. [-X

Finally, this year I will be spending Christmas with family. I'm in Tokyo right now, but fly home next week.

Clay
Last edited by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.