New Page on the website...What title ?

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Name of the New Page

Poll ended at Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Magic Memorabilia
64%
Magic Oddities
23%
Magic Paraphernalia
9%
Other
5%

Total votes: 22

dragsamou
Administrator

New Page on the website...What title ?

Post by dragsamou » Fri May 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi Members

In the future, a new page will be created after Magic Card Sets, Magic Rarities and Magazine Galleries. What should be the most appropriate title ?
Thanks for input.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:41 pm

What types of items will be shown on the page?

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri May 30, 2014 5:12 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:What types of items will be shown on the page?

Tav
Hi Tav

MTG Badges, MTG Phone cards, Calendars, Statues, Coins, Puzzles, etc....
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

sk1
Librarities Legend

Post by sk1 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:09 pm

For what it's worth, I would stay away from using "oddities" since that could connote misprinted/unusual cards, not neccessarily just memorabilia or paraphernalia.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat May 31, 2014 9:29 am

sk1 wrote:For what it's worth, I would stay away from using "oddities" since that could connote misprinted/unusual cards, not neccessarily just memorabilia or paraphernalia.
Hi Mark

From what I see so far "Memorabilia" is the leader.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat May 31, 2014 9:42 am

maybe "non-card promotional items"?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat May 31, 2014 9:57 am

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:maybe "non-card promotional items"?
Hi Clay

That title is too long, and I do believe that for the kind of MTG Products that I think of, the choices of the poll seems to me a good option. Anyway, this a first approach, that page is a future one, as it will be a huge, long and consuming job.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Sorry, but for me there needs to be more specifics about what will be there to choose from this list.

Memorabilia is probably the closest if what you have in mind is what I see in my mind at the moment.

However, it's definition really includes all items ever used by WotC or ANYONE else in relation to Magic. Local event posters, banners, card sleeves, play mats, binders, flyers, spin-down dice, old photographs of players and events, T-shirts. Actually anything that would cause one to "remember" Magic.

That is a very large barrel of worms but sure would be a complete "catch-all".

As sk1 said, oddities leads to confusion.

Paraphernalia is not correct by definition (again depending on your vision) and, at least for some, has an inappropriate drug use connotation (yes, like open a booster to get your fix).
Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:maybe "non-card promotional items"?
This is a very appropriate suggestion. It immediately gives the searcher the information that if they are looking for cards, skip this and if they are wondering what else is in the world of Magic this is the place to go. i.e. "I wonder if anyone has ever put a set of spindowns togather?" or "What all kind of stuff has been put out at prereleases?"

To bad the title is too long. My title would be "Official and unofficial promotional and historical items related to Magic: The Gathering"

You see, Alexis, what has happened to the board is that it was designed to hold 10 Kilograms of information with about 10 clearly designed areas of interest. It is now trying to hold 100 metric tons that have spread into every corner of human imagination.

The logical approach to this pile of ..... is a historical approach with a lot of indexing. As I say that I realize that the old saying is all to true "It is easy for the fellow in the tree to tell the fellow on the ground how to get away from the bear." I don't want to put that weight on you but am just sharing an opinion.

Sorry, old frind. As usual you ask a simple question and I give you a two page answer.....
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:24 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: Sorry, old frind. As usual you ask a simple question and I give you a two page answer.....
Hi Gary

Don't be sorry, if I open a poll it was aimed to discuss about it, even, if that project is a future one. The first step, for my webmaster to create a New page, is to find a title, then of course Sections and Subsections. A list of what should be included is another step, so let's discuss the title as a first one, and a 2 page answer is always much better than no answer at all my friend.
mystical_tutor wrote:Paraphernalia is not correct by definition (again depending on your vision) and, at least for some, has an inappropriate drug use connotation
I agree with you, I saw some MTG pipe when I was living in California back in the years héhé

Title will be placed here, for better understanding:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/index.php

Examples of Sections:
Magic Accessories
Magic Documents
Magic Literature
Magic Storage
Etc...

Then examples of Subsections:
Badges
Miniatures
Phone cards
Statuettes
Etc...
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:48 pm

I had an "A-Ha!" moment... "Non-Card MTG Products"

hopefully that is short enough. if it is too long, how many characters are you limited to?

Clay

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:I had an "A-Ha!" moment... "Non-Card MTG Products"

hopefully that is short enough. if it is too long, how many characters are you limited to?

Clay
Hi Clay

There's no limitation on how many characters, but all the titles are kind of short in the index pages, that's why , I'd rather have a short one. What Gary wrotes ""Official and unofficial promotional and historical items related to Magic: The Gathering" is really appropriate, but in my vision way too long, but like I say, we discuss about it, and this future page is really not a next week or next month project.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:30 pm

In the spirit of discussion, please don't panic but this is my approach to a historical rather than a topical presentation.

General Librarities titles (where card sets, rarities, mag galleries) is now.

History of publicaton this is two listings one on a time line and the other alphebetically each item being a link to the detail presentation of that product-(including sets and other products [PDS, DD, Multi player formats, etc.)

History of Promotions
Official (Wizards of the Coast)
Unofficial (anyone else)

This is where everything is in a time line. Starting with the little Dragon at dragon con. Thus "Arena or players rewards" has it's section that is accessed either from the History of publication or from the history of promotions. All program items, cards or whatever, are presented in historical sequence, no matter their size.
All the official material for a prerelease is included in the section on that release. Thus Avacen Restored would have the Helvault stuff, Theros would have the 5 promos, the hero cards, the challenge cards for the path of heros, etc.
Specials like Modern Masters or Commanders Arsenal would be indexed historically and linked.

All the unofficial stuff would be done topically, play mats, non WotC media inserts, dice, tokens, ad infinitum ad nasuem

Yes this does take a mental leap from where we are but it provides a basic format for all that will follow as well as an easily accessable presentation of what we have.

For discussion only.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:53 pm

I should note a couple deffinitions here.

Historical events would be seperate publications such as an expansion or special publications (PDS, DD, Modern Masters, etc) Launch party, Buy a box, Game Day would all be related to the historical event of publication.
Thus:
Theros:
prerelease: all the stuff related to that
Launch Party promo
buy a box promo
Game Day promo

Thus all those cards used for the follow on events are with the set they are in and support. Not scattered all over the board.

Programs would be those that start at a given time and are continued mostly unrelated to the above, FNM, Gateway, players Rewards, etc.

A program would be placed on the time line where it began and historical events would be placed at the time of their occurrence.

If that is not enough the third item in the Librarities titles would be:
Card index by name with links to each card ever used as a promo.... This is a job for Clay.

For discussion only

Gary
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Adkison

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:I had an "A-Ha!" moment... "Non-Card MTG Products"
That sounds pretty good to me.

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:04 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:In the spirit of discussion, please don't panic but this is my approach to a historical rather than a topical presentation.

General Librarities titles (where card sets, rarities, mag galleries) is now.

History of publicaton this is two listings one on a time line and the other alphebetically each item being a link to the detail presentation of that product-(including sets and other products [PDS, DD, Multi player formats, etc.)

History of Promotions
Official (Wizards of the Coast)
Unofficial (anyone else)

This is where everything is in a time line. Starting with the little Dragon at dragon con. Thus "Arena or players rewards" has it's section that is accessed either from the History of publication or from the history of promotions. All program items, cards or whatever, are presented in historical sequence, no matter their size.
All the official material for a prerelease is included in the section on that release. Thus Avacen Restored would have the Helvault stuff, Theros would have the 5 promos, the hero cards, the challenge cards for the path of heros, etc.
Specials like Modern Masters or Commanders Arsenal would be indexed historically and linked.

All the unofficial stuff would be done topically, play mats, non WotC media inserts, dice, tokens, ad infinitum ad nasuem

Yes this does take a mental leap from where we are but it provides a basic format for all that will follow as well as an easily accessable presentation of what we have.

For discussion only.

Gary
While I haven't put a LOT of thought into it, this seems to be a really nice organization method. I like it. The simultaneous historical and alphabetical list of links would allow anyone to quickly and easily find anything they were looking for if they knew either what it was called, or approximately when it was released. The only thing I might change is one of the titles "History of publicaton" , perhaps changing it to the simpler "Magic Cards" , or something like that.

Tav