Beginner's Guide to Misprints

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Is this guide worthwhile?

Yes! I know people who could use this!
82%
Nope. The people who need this won't read it.
9%
Meh, waste of time.
9%

Total votes: 11

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Beginner's Guide to Misprints

Post by TheJGit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:07 am

On pretty much every forum (except this one of course) and other social media group there's at least one place where people post "How much is this misprint worth?" and let's be honest, about 50% of the time it's slightly off centered or got a tiny little smudge on it.

In an attempt to remedy this flood of "misprints" from clogging the forums and ebay, I've decided to create a simple beginner's guide to misprints. Now I know this in all likelyhood will have minimal to insignificant impact on that flood, but hey, a man can dream can't he?

So, I wanted to run it by you guys first before I started sharing it. I'm open to comments and criticisms. Is there anything I left out? Is there anything absolutely incorrect? Should I include links to Keith's youtube channel and squt's misprint page? Let me know what you think! Thanks!

http://thejgitsmisprints.tumblr.com/GuideToMP

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:02 am

That was good, I have come across a couple of misprints in the past but I could never be bothered to sort through thousands of threads to find out more about them.

Article was a nice length, well illustrated, well written, no grammatical errors jumped out at me, it had links to further resources, answered the few questions I had about misprints and gave me some info that was interesting.

Nice work

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 am

I don't know anyone specifically that needs this, but an honest and comprehensive post about the value and identification of misprints is long over due, so this is great.

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Post by Alifromcairo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:24 am

Nice tutorial ! Very informative, I appreciate the effort. IMHO, it is really hard to determine the value of a miscut card because based on many subjective criterias... And depending of the collector's goal.

I have a miscut, SORRY, an extremely off-centered cabal coffers and two buddies collecting miscuts. One is willing to pay a good price for it, the second don't even care... :-k
Visit the Shores of Imagination

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks! Very helpful. My main concern about the guide is that it's really quite vague on values. I was hoping to avoid throwing out any numbers, but still wanted to be able to communictae what is ,for lack of better terms, really cool and what's not. However, it's still pretty easy for me to imagine someone reading the article, and then posting asking about how much their offcentered Bog Wraith is worth.

I did attempt a couple of years ago to try making a faily detailed pricing estimator for miscuts in an infographic style, but the numbers never really came together on it (it was also prior to the surge of NFCs, which at that time I was totally unaware of).

Here it is for funzies: (I didn't want to post it full size)

I even once loosely concepted out a misprint app: :-D

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:17 pm

You actually totally missed the whole "regular misprints" section as seen on Squts page. ( Translation errors, layout errors, stuff that affects the whole printrun of a card)
Since this is what my collection is about, i must complain :-)
If you only wanted to cover the "unique misprints" , the guide seems fine to me.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Very informative! Now people won't think of fried chicken when reading NFC (like me until short :-\').

That time, one can't figure out which text belongs to which image without reading.
Maybe the overview could be improved by adding some lines:

text

Do you know about cards with three square corners?

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:14 pm

mmgun wrote:You actually totally missed the whole "regular misprints" section as seen on Squts page. ( Translation errors, layout errors, stuff that affects the whole printrun of a card)
Since this is what my collection is about, i must complain :-)
If you only wanted to cover the "unique misprints" , the guide seems fine to me.
Duly noted sir! I will add a small section for regular misprints with a link to Squt's page. Especially since I list some of them at the bottom. That section will also be a good place to mention the Alabaster Kirin and Abomination of Gudul's that are everywhere now.

@Ron: You're right about the text/image flow. I'll have to see if there's a better way for me to seperate the sections, but there's some odd stuff going on with that tumblr theme I have. It's not being friendly to customization.

Fun fact...according to Alexis, the card I have in the NFC section is actually not NFC....go figure...