Scans for the board

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

scan priority

Poll ended at Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Update new card scans first and fill the rest in as time permits
6%
Try and finish up the old sections first-bring things up to date
44%
No preference
50%

Total votes: 16

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Scans for the board

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Berkumps sent me about 100 scans yesterday in SC for the board. Do you members have a preference where I prioritize my time?
I know the newer releases have been neglected as I have tried to finish off older sections but maybe you would prefer that the newest cards get put up first in order to keep up with what is available for play/collecting right now.

Thanks

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

tromagic
Librarities Member

Post by tromagic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for doing this great work Gary !
I like the old cards better so you know my vote :-D
I collect old MTG cards.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:48 pm

tromagic wrote:Thanks for doing this great work Gary !
I like the old cards better so you know my vote :-D
Unfortnately, or fortunately, S-chinese promos didn't start until 2010. Judging by the old cards that you like it probably wouldn't make a difference :wink:

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:20 pm

LOL... Mark, I do have a frame of reference for "old" that is different than most but in this case I am thinking of old being the first holes in a section on the board. Thus--as you note--some cards are "old" in modern times.

I am looking forward to the Russian cards as they did not start as long ago as most.

Thanks again for all the scans. Got them all accounted for this morning and will start preping more recent releases (IAW the feedback I am getting).

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:23 am

No preference, every one you do is a fraction of a percent closer to 100%.

Trying to keep up with new releases means you are always going to feel like you are falling behind.

Sorting out the older ones first means that you might get a greater sense of satisfaction as you complete tasks. You will be further behind in the new releases but at least you can tick something off the list.

Shouldn't the company making them be doing all the archiving and making it available to the collectors? They can work off the original docs rather than having to take a digital medium, convert it into a paper medium and then convert it back to a digital medium. Even if they watermark it.

They might even be able sell them easily enough in a nice book format.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:47 pm

Actually, Mark, they did that at one time in a series of "Magic: the gathering Official Encyclopedia" There were 6 volumes that covered the first 10 years of Magic through the 7th edition (coincidentally?? up to the sale of WotC to Hasbro). I love these books but rarely look at them because I don't want to wear them more than they already are. They had the most awesome deckbuilder indexes in them i.e. a section "banding creatures and cards that give banding"; creatures with protection, etc. I had an ambition at one time to OCR all the indexes and compile them into one index. Technology and inertia overcame me.

There were no non-English cards pictured but they did include the World Champion decks and often a little something for flavor like sample playtest cards and stuff. I don't remember much in the way of collector type information.

Richard Garfield established a Magic/gaming reference library at one time, it was awesome. Piles of games, his and others, shelves of books on gaming, etc. I wonder if any of it is still there.

Probably, if we were to ask now abut archival we would be pointed to the gatherer.

I was told the official reason they were discontinued but have forgotten it.

Gary
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Burkumps just sent me another 150+ Russian and SC scans. This is a fantastic addition and now if I can just get them all prepped.

Big Thanks Mark.

Gary
Gary Adkison

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:34 am

mystical_tutor wrote:Actually, Mark, they did that at one time in a series of "Magic: the gathering Official Encyclopedia" There were 6 volumes that covered the first 10 years of Magic through the 7th edition ...
I think I had the first two, didn't know they had any more than that but I assumed they must have.

I found them really useful and also a pleasure to flick through.

I would like to have a giant leather bound spell book with all the various creature spells etc. in them, that would look good and I could get a walk down memory lane without having to dig through loads of old card boxes.

Might see if I can get hold of the older versions.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:44 am

I think there were 6 volumes of the encyclopedia before they stopped making them.

When they stopped, all six were gathered into one big book, typos and errors included. (no additional editing)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Ency ... 1560254432

I prefer flipping through my card binders, but this book is a nice substitute if you don't have all the cards.

Tav

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Cheers for the link.

I had the Interactive Encyclopaedia on CD, probably still have it somewhere, but I think I might get the others, if the compendium doesn't have any 'extras' I might buy the individual encyclopaedias, might look nicer on the shelf.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks Tav,

I had forgotten all about this as I don't have a copy myself.
Do you know if they just copied each of the 6 straight or if they may have consolidated the indexes?

I still think that a consolidated index would be great--though with Modern being the thing it may be that the use of these old cards will fade out. Then, all of a sudden a COP red in a cdr deck might be a real surprise.

Thanks again.

Gary
cataclysm80 wrote:I think there were 6 volumes of the encyclopedia before they stopped making them.

When they stopped, all six were gathered into one big book, typos and errors included. (no additional editing)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Ency ... 1560254432

I prefer flipping through my card binders, but this book is a nice substitute if you don't have all the cards.

Tav
Gary Adkison