New Members: Introduce Yourself

Whenever you have an idea or a question about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:56 am

Thx for your welccome, GlobalBoosterHunter!

Initially I collected all editions of all land cards. While I made quite some progress, I decided earlier this year just to limit it to the first edition of all art work. Things just exploded and it was no longer attractive to look at it: maybe complete, yes, but boring. So, Summer lands wont be a problem, although if I get one for a good price, I'd take it ;-).
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Bernd:

Big welcome to the community. I have been tied down and didn't see your introduction.

Your focus on lands is admirable because it shows, IMHO, true collector qualities. Are you doing lands in all languages or specific ones? I focus on English language but do have odds and ends from other languages so if there is something your looking for please let me know.

Lands have been in the "I want to do something about this" part of my mind for many years. When I did the 10 year display of all base set Magic cards in 200x I started planning a "Lands of Magic" display using the same flip chart method. It never got finished...sigh.

Again, Welcome

Gary

BillBo wrote:Hi everyone, I figured I'd stop by here and introduce myself real quick.

I'm Bernd, living in Fort Wayne, IN, for about seven years now. Before that we lived in Germany. Our boys needed a TO to run events, so I became a TO, then a judge, then a player (a little), then a collector (somewhat, I love land cards). I joined the board for exchange, good company, and maybe I can help out with a scan or two on and off. For me it's a great pastimes, so don't expect me to be too serious about things. In my real life I'm a college professor.

While I suspect I know some, the only one I know I've been in touch with before is Gary, the mystical tutor. At the time I worked as a VCL for WOtC's community boards and Gary started running events again; we almost even traded at that time ;-).

So, hi everyone!
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:01 am

The trouble with a 'lands' set is...

You already own most of the lands in your other sets, do you take them out of that set to display in the Land set or do you buy them all again?

You could just have a checklist and tick them all off on the check list but never actually display them together, but where is the fun in that?

The main appeal for me is that back in the day, you couldn't get enough land, We started at Revised, missed the Dark.

I had a friend trade a Revised Nightmare for 5 Swamps, he figured it was a rubbish card because he never had enough Swamps to power it.

We routinely played three coloured decks because playing a monocolour deck was out of the question until you could scrounge up enough land.

I played Green/Blue/White and my friend played Black/Red, whenever we opened a booster we would share the land out according to our assigned colours.

Then when you put a deck together all the land looked the same. Along came Fallen Empires and suddenly there was more land, and it did different things! Then more expansions came along and instead of being something you had to have in your deck, suddenly you got to chose what type of lands you wanted to add.

I must review my land collection...

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:04 pm

One of the things about a land collection that attracts me is the attempt by all the different artists to show the same thing in a slightly different and creative way--I mean how many ways are there to look at plains......

My idea was not a "every land ever printed" so much as "every art ever done". I would still want them by sets but a set of UL lands would cover the first few years alone.

As lands have become more and more "cards" than just resources the art really has a lot more room to play in so to me the challenge still remains in depicting Basic Lands.

Darn! The more i think about it the more I want to get back to it but there are SOOOOO many irons in my fire.

Scans for the board.
Guildgate "secret message"
Tokens/tips
updating my collection site (that is really behind)
Keeping up with new sets/promos......
Portuguese Warthog
Portuguese Skulking Ghost
ad infinitum ad nasium

I think I'll go take a nap....
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:01 am

I am not so sure a set of UL lands is going to cut it.

I am no 'Black Border Snob', but a lot of the Lands first appear in expansions and are all black bordered, surely you want them to match!

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:15 am

Sorry, been busy with my life outside Magic ...
mystical_tutor wrote:Your focus on lands is admirable because it shows, IMHO, true collector qualities.
Nice of you to say this, appreciated.
mystical_tutor wrote: Are you doing lands in all languages or specific ones?
As I tried to clarify earlier, I shifted away from all lands/all editions to first edition of each art work. To the extent that some art work appears only on foreign cards, the collection is international in scope. For everything else, it's just English edition. I consider throwing in samples of foreign printings (to show their card names), alternate editions (such as lands from Hachette editions etc), and misprints and stuff just to document awareness of their existence but don't aim at completeness for the same reason: it's not attractive to look at.
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:You already own most of the lands in your other sets, do you take them out of that set to display in the Land set
Separately. I store cards to play with (from Standard to Modern to Legacy) as play sets in penny sleeves in 800-count card board boxes assembled in card houses by color, rarity, and card type. The land collection is entirely separate in special binders (right now I'm using binders made by SAFE, I feel their 4 ring mechanism is superior to just three rings).
mystical_tutor wrote:<SNIP> different artists to show the same thing in a slightly different and creative way--I mean how many ways are there to look at plains <SNIP> My idea was not a "every land ever printed" so much as "every art ever done".
We seem pretty close in our approach ;-). What got me into collecting lands were a number of things; these include a personal fascination with landscapes and how people relate to them, great art (I often feel the urge to enter the picture and go on my own adventures there), and the way each set can be reflected in its lands, sort of capture the essence of each plane--well, if well-commissioned and skillfully done. This is also why in the end the collection will not only display the land cards but also their set environment (flattened booster boxes, booster wrappers, promotional material, story line characters, etc.). It's about displaying the various planes, if you will.
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128