M19 Commons cards in a Dominaria booster box

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

M19 Commons cards in a Dominaria booster box

Post by dragsamou » Sat May 05, 2018 5:46 am

Hi Members

Don't know if it was intentional or not ?

Onakke Ogre, Act of Treason, Daybreak Chaplain, Scholar of Stars, Tormenting Voice, Inspired Charge, Dwarven Priest.

Daybreak Chaplain

Dwarven Priest

Inspired Charge

Knight's Pledge

Loxodon Line Breaker

Mighty Leap

Anticipate

Cancel

Disperse

Dwindle

Omenspeaker

Scholar of Stars

Act of Treason

Goblin Instigator

Hostile Minotaur

Onakke Ogre

Sure Strike

Tormenting Voice
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Re: M19 Commons cards in a Dominaria booster box

Post by thulnanth » Sat May 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Wow... that's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing. =D>
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Box was bought on release day, but not opened until last night.
15 cards (all Commons) came from a single box, with no more than 3 or 4 of these cards in a single pack.

I know a little about how cards get put into packs, and to me (based on how things worked in the old days, so I could be wrong) I think that an accident would have the cards all together in a couple packs and those two packs would probably be near each other inside the box.

Because of how they're spread out, I'm leaning towards thinking this is an intentional leak for publicity.

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Sat May 05, 2018 4:20 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:39 pm
Because of how they're spread out, I'm leaning towards thinking this is an intentional leak for publicity.
Another reason to assume it's intentional is that WotC did it in the past, although w/ smaller numbers.
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat May 05, 2018 5:07 pm

In total that's 18 Commons cards so far, Black, Green, Artifact and Land are missing, the probability that they might be in the same case where that Dominaria Box came from is a serious probability, time will tell. If it's not intentional, I believe it might be that same case, just involving more cards:
"One day, a player goes to his local shop and buys a pack of Magic 2013. In it, he sees a copy of Rootborn Defenses. Magic booster packs usually have ten commons in them; none of those commons, though, tend to be from the next unreleased set!

He goes to the Internet to share his news. There is much skepticism. The question everyone was asking was "How could that even happen?" He ends up contacting Wizards and we ask him to send in the card so we can figure out what is going on. Once we are done with our investigation, we had Erik Lauer sign the card (he designed it) and sent it back with a Selesnya banner signed by all the members of the Return to Ravnica design and development teams.

So, how could that even happen? Here's my best guess. We print a lot of cards. As such, quite often, our printings are scheduled back to back, meaning the printer will print one Magic product, finish, and then set-up to do another printing of a different Magic product. My best assumption is that the printer in question printed a batch of Magic 2013. After that was done the printer moved onto other projects. At some point, the printer printed an early run of Return to Ravnica. Directly after that printing, it did a reprint for Magic 2013.

When a printing is done, the printer cleans out the hoppers (i.e., where all the cards rest directly after being printed). Every once in a long while, the printer misses a card. Often, things get released chronologically upon being ordered or it's another run of the same product so no one notices. When the Magic 2013 reprint was done, the missed card got scooped up and packaged with the new printing .

And that is (probably) how a Return to Ravnica card got sold in a Magic 2013 booster months early."
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 am

Dominaria was released more than a week ago and the box was purchased at the release. Usually a lot of product is sold and opened at release, so the other boxes from this case have probably already been opened. It's unusual that this person waited a week to open his box. If someone else had opened some M19 cards from the same case, I think there's a good chance we would have heard something about it be now.

There is a hopper for each rarity of card, and the cards get pulled from the hoppers in the correct ratio to make booster packs, 11 common, 3 uncommon, 1 rare, or whatever todays ratio is (it's more complex these days with mythics, foils, basic lands, and tip cards, etc.).
If 18 commons were accidentally left in the hopper, they'd fill all the common slots in one booster pack, and also some of the common slots in the next booster pack. Those two packs would probably by near to each other inside the booster box.
That's not what we're seeing here. We have 3 or 4 cards per booster, spread out over 4 to 6 packs. I haven't managed to think of a way for that to accidentally happen. You don't get 4 M19 cards then about 100 regular commons, then 4 more M19 cards, etc.

It's possible that it could be a printer employee goofing off and WotC didn't plan this, but I don't think it happened accidentally. Someone did it.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun May 06, 2018 8:01 am

cataclysm80 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 am
It's possible that it could be a printer employee goofing off and WotC didn't plan this, but I don't think it happened accidentally. Someone did it.
That makes sense, if the 18 cards were spread into 4-6 boosters. Someone might be fired once WotC find out (they probably know already). Let's see if an article about that leak will be written on WotC website or else (probably after they investigate) if it was not fully intentional on their part.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

lethe
Librarities Hero

Post by lethe » Fri May 11, 2018 7:30 am

cataclysm80 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 am
There is a hopper for each rarity of card, and the cards get pulled from the hoppers in the correct ratio to make booster packs, 11 common, 3 uncommon, 1 rare, or whatever todays ratio is (it's more complex these days with mythics, foils, basic lands, and tip cards, etc.).
If 18 commons were accidentally left in the hopper, they'd fill all the common slots in one booster pack, and also some of the common slots in the next booster pack. Those two packs would probably by near to each other inside the booster box.
That's not what we're seeing here. We have 3 or 4 cards per booster, spread out over 4 to 6 packs. I haven't managed to think of a way for that to accidentally happen. You don't get 4 M19 cards then about 100 regular commons, then 4 more M19 cards, etc.
I don't think this is true for more recent sets. I haven't done the work myself, but based on the work of Medussa[1], there are four different common sequences which she calls A, B, C1, and C2. Each pack gets a few cards from A, a few cards from B, and a few cards from either C1 or C2. If a stack of M19 commons got inserted for just one of these sequences, it wouldn't occur all in one or two packs; it would be spread out with a few cards per pack as was observed.

[1] Medussa is a MTGSalvation user who has done a lot of work calculating collation info mostly for commons and mostly in 2010 - 2014 era (I think). Here are some relevant posts (but there are more as well): Magic 2013 Common/Uncommon Print runs (wip), (common sheet breakdown). There are more posts as well if you care to look including info on other sets (but nothing from Dominaria), but it's all pretty similar.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks for the info. I'm not on Salvation, but Medussa sounds pretty smart.
Yes, my info is based on research into the very old sets. Here's a link. http://forum.magiclibrarities.net/forum ... 967#p89967

I figured that it must have changed at some point, but I hadn't looked into when yet.