Unhinged Foil 'specials'

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:07 am
Location: Nowhere, IL

Unhinged Foil 'specials'

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:50 pm

Welp, I was sitting at my desk at home, opening Unhinged box number..lesse, 9 I think, and I popped open a rare foil.

Richard Garfield, PhD.

And, much unlike the non-premium version, it has his signature in foil across his picture.

And even tho I am opening too many boxes, I do realize that I won't see even half the rare foils. Does anyone know what other specials there are in the foil set? (Besides the Super Secret Tech, of course).

Just trying to make sure I don't miss any as I open.

Gryfalia

PS - it's been kinda interesting. About every 4th pack has, instead of the normal '2 of each color' that the normal packs have, 3 red commons and usually 1 less white. Rarely it's 3 blue. So my red common stack (as pointless as it is) is actually larger than the others. But the red uncommon stack is noticeably shorter. I think when I am done I shall do a real inventory and see what statistical wackiness I find.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by Volcanon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:54 am

every second card in unhinged has some "extra" when it's foil. Goblin Mime has a box around him, etc.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:07 am
Location: Nowhere, IL

Post by Gryfalia » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:43 am

Well, I also did find that Letter Bomb has 'Sign Here' in foil above the line on the letter.

Suppose I can make a full list of what I find, but I do know that someone was making a foil set, suppose that would be the best place to start..;-)

Gryfalia

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:00 am

Gryfalia wrote:Well, I also did find that Letter Bomb has 'Sign Here' in foil above the line on the letter.

Suppose I can make a full list of what I find, but I do know that someone was making a foil set, suppose that would be the best place to start..;-)

Gryfalia
Hi Ken.
I have a Complete Foil Unhinged Set,if I can help with something let me know ;-)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:00 am
Location: Germany

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 pm

This is a good time to reconfirm the list I have set up with a good friend of mine. The following foil cards have a little extra effect:

#2 cut-off mountain top
#4 flipped cards
#9 no bell
#44 signature
#48 flipped card, pen symbol
#49 no dirt
#56 hand symbol
#67 rabbit symbol
#72 shooting star
#77 text-covering arm
#78 box
#104 M symbol
#106 shooting star
#109 ice-skate symbol
#121 subliminal text
#122 invisible text
#123 color pie symbol
#124 infinity symbol
#125 question mark
#128 subliminal numbers
#135 something in text box???

You can see images of all cards (except #135) here: http://magiccards.info/query/1188518/.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:31 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:This is a good time to reconfirm the list I have set up with a good friend of mine. The following foil cards have a little extra effect:

#2 cut-off mountain top
#4 flipped cards
#9 no bell
#44 signature
#48 flipped card, pen symbol
#49 no dirt
#56 hand symbol
#67 rabbit symbol
#72 shooting star
#77 text-covering arm
#78 box
#104 M symbol
#106 shooting star
#109 ice-skate symbol
#121 subliminal text
#122 invisible text
#123 color pie symbol
#124 infinity symbol
#125 question mark
#128 subliminal numbers
#135 something in text box???

You can see images of all cards (except #135) here: http://magiccards.info/query/1188518/.
Hi Ralph.
I will double check later to make sure ;-)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

monkeymadness
Librarities Legend
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:11 am

Alterations

Post by monkeymadness » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Those are my scans at magiccards.info so that list is everything that I could find. I do not see anything modified in the text box of R+D's secret lair. The foil is just the regular new template pattern in mine. I think that the alteration in Mana Screw is just a continuation of the screw into the text box visible through that round hole. It is very difficult to tell on scans, but I played with the brightness and contrast to try to make it more clear. If you look at the screw above and compare it to the image in the foil, they look the same to me.

Image

User avatar
Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:00 am
Location: Germany

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:12 pm

monkeymadness: The world is small indeed. ;-)

Your explanation regarding the Mana Scew card sounds convincing.

Since you provided the images for magiccards.info, did you also scan the card #43 Question Elemental? I do not consider this card an alternate art card, because the question marks in the text box are also printed on the nonfoil version, even though they are barely visible, and I see no other difference.

My friend has confirmed that his foil card R&D's Secret Lair #135 indeed has a sort of structure covering the entire text box. Can somebody else check this please?

monkeymadness
Librarities Legend
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:11 am

Post by monkeymadness » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:59 pm

I think I sent the question elemental since you could see the question marks so much better, but that email is long since lost. I still cannot see the alteration on the Secret Lair. The stuff on the text box just looks like the normal foil effect for all lands to me.

Image

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Ralph Herold wrote: My friend has confirmed that his foil card R&D's Secret Lair #135 indeed has a sort of structure covering the entire text box. Can somebody else check this please?
I confirmed That a Structure is inside the text Box,while others foils doesn't have it,so #135 is a Special Foil.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

monkeymadness
Librarities Legend
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:11 am

Post by monkeymadness » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:16 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Ralph Herold wrote: My friend has confirmed that his foil card R&D's Secret Lair #135 indeed has a sort of structure covering the entire text box. Can somebody else check this please?
I confirmed That a Structure is inside the text Box,while others foils doesn't have it,so #135 is a Special Foil.
Can you point it out for me on the scan? I am having trouble seeing it.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:27 pm

monkeymadness wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
Ralph Herold wrote: My friend has confirmed that his foil card R&D's Secret Lair #135 indeed has a sort of structure covering the entire text box. Can somebody else check this please?
I confirmed That a Structure is inside the text Box,while others foils doesn't have it,so #135 is a Special Foil.
Can you point it out for me on the scan? I am having trouble seeing it.
Hi.
That's what appears in Pink on your Foil Scan,those marks are not on the Regular one.Also,this List won't be complete without Card No90 Touch and Go,In the Foil Version an O appears in the Text Box,not in the Regular,I may edit,as I'm almost done checking them,I will let you know the results.
On a First Check,this is the List:

AWOL#2 cut-off mountain top
Cardpecker#4 flipped cards
Emcee#9 no bell
Richard Garfield PH.D.#44 signature
Aesthetic Consultation#48 flipped card, pen symbol
Bad Ass#49 no dirt
Farewell to Arms#56 hand symbol
When Fluffy Bunnies Attack#67 rabbit symbol
Blast from the Past#72 shooting star
Frazzled Editor#77 text-covering arm
Goblin Mime#78 box
Touch and Go#90 Subliminal Green O in Text Box.
Monkey Monkey Monkey#104 M symbol
Old Fogey#106 shooting star
Shoe Tree#109 ice-skate symbol
Gleemax#121 subliminal text
Letter Bomb#122 invisible text
Mana Screw#123 color pie symbol
Mox Lotus#124 infinity symbol
My First Tome#125 question mark
Time Machine#128 subliminal numbers
Last edited by dragsamou on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:00 am
Location: Germany

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:30 pm

monkeymadness: Thank you for the scan. After another phone call with my friend, he can confirm that the "structure" in the foil R&D Secret Lair text box is indeed just the regular foil pattern of land card text boxes. He was not aware of this before, as it is easier to recognize on this particular card than on other cards. At least regarding this card, the case can be closed.

monkeymadness
Librarities Legend
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:11 am

Post by monkeymadness » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:45 pm

dragsamou wrote:
monkeymadness wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
Ralph Herold wrote: My friend has confirmed that his foil card R&D's Secret Lair #135 indeed has a sort of structure covering the entire text box. Can somebody else check this please?
I confirmed That a Structure is inside the text Box,while others foils doesn't have it,so #135 is a Special Foil.
Can you point it out for me on the scan? I am having trouble seeing it.
Hi.
That's what appears in Pink on your Foil Scan,those marks are not on the Regular one.Also,this List won't be complete without Card No90 Touch and Go,In the Foil Version an O appears in the Text Box,not in the Regular,I may edit,as I'm almost done checking them,I will let you know the results.
The pink in the scan is normal foil for lands (as you can see on the mountain next to it) so I wouldn't consider this an alternate version. My foil version of Touch and Go has no "O" in the text box. Interesting. Could you provide an image so I can see it too?

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:51 pm

monkeymadness wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
monkeymadness wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
Ralph Herold wrote: My friend has confirmed that his foil card R&D's Secret Lair #135 indeed has a sort of structure covering the entire text box. Can somebody else check this please?
I confirmed That a Structure is inside the text Box,while others foils doesn't have it,so #135 is a Special Foil.
The pink in the scan is normal foil for lands (as you can see on the mountain next to it) so I wouldn't consider this an alternate version. My foil version of Touch and Go has no "O" in the text box. Interesting. Could you provide an image so I can see it too?
No,I have checked 3 Ttmes the R&D Lair,scanning it,etc....The Foil Version is definately different with an original Spilling that's not on the Regular version(I have Checked 3 Different R&D Normal).City of Brass as Exactely the same pattern in the Text Box in Normal and Foil...R&D Don't.

EDIT:Touch&Go Scans.
http://www.photoservice.com/albums/albu ... 6&a=380251
Green 0 is on the "Brown Shit"in the Text Box.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests