Offical announcment of given out summer displays

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Offical announcment of given out summer displays

Post by pickle.69 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:44 am

if a case has 10 displays we get the following numbers:
40 displays= 1440 rares /122 = 11.8 rares
4320 /94 UC = 45.95
15840 commons 90 (including lands) 176
with 306 total cards you need thats:

if a case has, what I think 6 displays we get the following numbers:
24*36= 864/122= 7.08
2592=21 Uc
9504= 105.6 commons

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... zards/1008
October 6, 2008 – Ask Wizards Classic

Q: What are some of the most rare cards ever printed? I'm not talking about Moxes or anything like that. I've seen blank cards and blue Hurricanes.
–Jack

A: From Brian Tinsman, R&D Game Designer:

The rarest cards fall into two categories: misprints and specials. The blank cards you've seen are either misprints or R&D playtest cards that were never used. One famous mistake was a run of Fallen Empires that was printed with backs from Wyvern, another TCG being manufactured at the same factory. The rarest misprints, and among the rarest Magic cards in existence, are those blue Hurricanes. They're from a printing nicknamed 'Summer Magic.' In the summer of '94, Wizards realized one printing of Revised had severe mistakes, with the art almost too dark to see on many cards. Wizards recalled the entire print run and had them all destroyed. Well, almost all of them. About four cases (40 display boxes) accidentally made it to the public in the UK and Tennessee. Today a Summer Magic Birds of Paradise is worth well over a thousand dollars.

Another misprint was a series of foil Friday Night Magic promotional cards that were added to Japanese Urza's Legacy and Urza's Destiny sheets as test runs to see if the print process was working right. Those cards had no text, just mana costs and art, and were supposed to have been destroyed. Some of them, like Lightning Bolt, accidentally made it into booster packs and are now among the rarest of all cards.

Special printings are cards that were produced to commemorate some event and given to the participants only. The rarest is probably the 1996 World Champion card, of which only one is supposed to exist. It was encased in a trophy and awarded to Tom Chanpheng, the winner of that tournament. Wizards never printed any other cards for later World Champions. The next rarest is the card Proposal, which Richard Garfield had printed and slipped into a deck in order to propose to his soon-to-be wife, Lily. About seven of these were given to members of their wedding party. Richard also used Magic cards to announce two more special events, the birth of his two children. Splendid Genesis (about 150 cards) and Fraternal Exaltation (about 250 cards) were given to friends and coworkers.

Sought after by some collectors are cards altered by designers to change their functionality. Although not legal for tournament play, it's generally accepted that if you can get Richard Garfield to change the mana cost or abilities on a card and sign it, you can play it as written. It's rumored that there's a 3/3 Llanowar Elves out there somewhere.

Thanks to my fellow designer Mike Elliott for helping me out with a bunch of this info.

This question first appeared on August 13, 2003. Ask Wizards–Classic is a weekly feature that highlights interesting questions and answers from the Ask Wizards archives, which go back to January 2002.
Last edited by pickle.69 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:49 am

I don't know if this is something new, they write 'about four cases'. Means for me that they don't know how much got lost.

pp

Re: Offical announcment of given out summer displays

Post by pp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:07 am

pickle.69 wrote:40 displays= 1440 rares /122 = 11.8 rares
4320 /94 UC = 45.95
15840 commons 90 (including lands) 176
with 306 total cards you need thats:
You forgot about the lands in the uncommon and common slot Richard!

1440/121-> ~12x each rare
4320/121-> ~36x each uc
15840/121-> ~131x each common
lands: 930 + 6022 = 6952 -> /15 -> 463x each picture

p.s. damn Edit button, sorry about that Richard ;-)

pp

Re: Offical announcment of given out summer displays

Post by pp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:18 am

if a case has, what I think 6 displays we get the following numbers:
Was revised already in 6-display cases?

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:18 am

Well I was not 100% shure about the numbers I just did a quick math for myself and added it to the post.

I have thought about some more thing:
since when are there 10 dipsplays in a case? I thought it was only 6

I also did the math for the 24 display variant.
I personaly know of 4 Existing Shivan Dragons.
between 7~12 there is a imense difference. Personally I think that some rares are rarer then others. people prefer to keep good/well known rares longer then they keep bad/avarage rares. Favorte Summer cards are the well know cards lik BoP, Shivan, Doppelgänger Efreet, Demonic hurrican......
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

pp

Post by pp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:22 am

pickle.69 wrote: I have thought about some more thing:
since when are there 10 dipsplays in a case? I thought it was only 6
Its the other way, now they are in 6-display cases, before it was 10. I'm shure that Arabian nights was in 10-display cases.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:48 pm

Hey All,

I thought I also heard that some of the employees were pulling certain cards out when they were tossing the product, thus the reason there seems to be more of the "better" cards. I cannot prove this, of course, but it does seem to make sense from what I know...

Just my $.02 worth :)

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:34 pm

The guy who wrote that at wizards is an idiot....

I have NEVER heard of stuff being sent to tennesse. Product was shipped to the UK, The Netherlands, and Texas.....

Some additional product was shipped out as a prank as prize support.....not very much though.

Additionally, at Wizards in renton, they had a fairly large amount of product, that was dumped in a bin to be destroyed. Employees were allowed to grab cards for their personal use. Most grabbed duals, Serra, Shivan, stuff like that.......the stuff they played with. My buddy Larry, who worked at WOTC at the time, noticed the Hurricane was blue, so he grabbed SIX of them. He gave out 3 of them to friends and kept 3 for himself. At Worlds 1998 in Seattle, he showed me one, which I bought for $300......he then told me he had two more.....a bidding war between and another guy went on, but since we were buds, the guy was alllowed one final offer, that I was allowed to match. One of the given away cards was added to the sale, as the person needed money. I purchased the other 3 for $1750 total, and promptly sold one to a friend and the other 3 in troll and toad....the other two last I was told, belong to two guys who don't care much about money....

Larry was one of the guys who put stuff in as prize support as a joke and verified where they had sent cards.

My estimates off Larry's info, along with info I got from Peter Adkison, was there was about 40-60 of each Uncommon and 10-20 of each rare at least out there.

One day, if my wife ever finishes unpacking (we moved three years ago) she will find the pic of me with bedhead holding the 4 blue hurricanes.

And revised I believe was shipped in cases of 10, so was summer......I think it switched to six with like mirage.....

pp

Post by pp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:48 pm

EddieO wrote: My estimates off Larry's info, along with info I got from Peter Adkison, was there was about 40-60 of each Uncommon and 10-20 of each rare at least out there.
At least means w/o counting the cards from the bin?
One day, if my wife ever finishes unpacking (we moved three years ago) she will find the pic of me with bedhead holding the 4 blue hurricanes
That would be great, you would be the winner in the scg pimp thread forever :-p
(atm there is 1 person who posted 2 serendibs)

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Larry never actually said how much they opened and pour into the bin....he simply said they opened up cards for a while and the bin was one of the huge ones like you put laundry in and it was full the rim.....and people dug through it.....my guess, 10+ cases to fill something like that....

I will do my best to find the photo.....I only owned the 4 cards for about a week though.....

Later EddieO

stu55
Librarities Legend

Post by stu55 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:15 pm

This guy seemed way wrong on a lot of information that as he presented