Anyone Going to Illuxcon 2009?

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Anyone Going to Illuxcon 2009?

Post by notsofasteddie » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:55 pm

If you want to see an impressive lists of guests, check out this list for Illuxcon 2009. http://www.illuxcon.com/guests.html. Altoona will be a signed card collector's paradise next weekend.

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:32 am

I will be there FOR SURE.. More excited about this than a tournament!!!!

Got my pass and arangements are made.. I will be there all day Saturday..
if you are going, let me know and we can arrange to meet up at some point :-D
Last edited by ritnecrowin on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:08 pm

WOW... that's quite the list!!!

I wish I could go - that many artists would be awesome. Alas the notice is too short, otherwise I'd try. Good luck to all who can attend!!!

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Anyone Going to Illuxcon 2009?

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:38 pm

notsofasteddie wrote:If you want to see an impressive lists of guests, check out this list for Illuxcon 2009. http://www.illuxcon.com/guests.html. Altoona will be a signed card collector's paradise next weekend.
Wish I had known earlier. Lot of people on that list I'd like to see again and almost as many I'd like to meet.

Too late now though....sigh

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Just go next year Gary. Last year was good and next year will be good as well I'm sure!

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:22 am

OMG This was a BLAST....I got all sorts of signatures... a couple sketched proofs.. had some great conversations... even had chili dogs with a bunch of Magic artists and picked up another piece of original art:
Omar Rayyan Forest/Plains from Lorwyn

I will give the full report and show off some of the pictures I took a little later... it's been a LONG day with a LOT of driving.

-now I just need to find the following artists and I should be set:
D. Alexander Gregory
Una Fricker
Gary Leach
Shelly Wan
Daniel Gelon

flametongue
Librarities Hero

Post by flametongue » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:19 am

D. Alexander Gregory is at the worlds if thats any help

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:05 pm

flametongue wrote:D. Alexander Gregory is at the worlds if thats any help
I know :'-(
I can't get to Rome.. and no one I know is going..
In addition, I posted on a few sites if anyone is going, would they mind getting my Gifts signed, but no one offered..

So the search continues. :-(

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:40 pm

ritnecrowin wrote:OMG This was a BLAST....I got all sorts of signatures... a couple sketched proofs.. had some great conversations... even had chili dogs with a bunch of Magic artists and picked up another piece of original art:
Omar Rayyan Forest/Plains from Lorwyn

I will give the full report and show off some of the pictures I took a little later...
Please do share - I'd love to hear all about your adventures!!! I figure since I couldn't make it, I may as well live vicariously, right?

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

flametongue
Librarities Hero

Post by flametongue » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:05 pm

do you just want normal gifts signed or foil ones, if its normal thats not to much of an issue since i have loads and am going, foil is more problematic?

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:36 am

flametongue wrote:do you just want normal gifts signed or foil ones, if its normal thats not to much of an issue since i have loads and am going, foil is more problematic?
Unfortunetly, I am looking to get my foil German Gifts signed.. in silver and running vertical to the art.... (My deck is completly uniform :-D )

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:25 pm

I live about 3 hours away from Altoona, so this was a great way to spend a Saturday.
On the way, I stopped at a flea market... pretty awesome; especially since I never knew I had one so close before. I LOVE rummaging through old crap in the hopes of finding a treasure!

I got to Illuxcon a little early and decided to walk through downtown Altoona and take some pictures... Of course, I forgot to charge the battery on my camera and had to limit my picture taking.
In addition, I realized I drove the whole way to Altoona and left my bank card at home... Luckily, I had about 40 bucks and a Discover card (which no one seems to take!)

So illuxcon opens up and it's in a really nice room of a small college. The atmosphere is very relaxed and I begin to walk around for autographs. As I'm walking through, I spot Randy Gallegos and Steve Belledin.. I didn't know they'd be there, so it was a nice suprise. We all BSed for a bit and they signed some cards. (I've bought art from Steve in the past and Randy and I chat via email from time to time; so it was nice to finally meet up with them.)
I met Brom for the first time and got him to sign my foil German Gemstone Mines.
Chris Moeller is from Pittsburgh, as am I; so we've met before. He spotted me and we exchanged greetings and talked about our beloved Steelers.
One of the coolest things was running into Matt Cavotta. He was pretty excited to sign my Foil German Yixlids and we chatted about the art. Cavotta actually designed the entire card! (From flavor text up; no joke!)
He was so excited to BS about Yixlid that he just hands me a 1/25 print of Yixlid!!! (no charge!) Then he doodles a Yixlid AP for me..
After hearing about my quest to get my vintage deck signed out, he takes me around the room meeting other Magic artists!
I met: Daren Bader, Steve Presscot, Cyril Van Der Haegen, Omar Rayyan, Donato Giancola, Dan Santos, Bob Eggleton, Mark Zug, Lars Grant West, LA Williams, Palumbo Brothers, Ben Thompson...

I got a few sketched APs, a few hand drawn Spirit tokens for my forbidden orchards... but the best:
Omar Rayyan is like " Go through the pile of Magic art and you can have any piece for $150." I find the forest/ plains he did... (LONG piece of art) " How about this?" I ask sheepishly.... "Yeah, why not; you're cool with Cavotta!"
I sprinted to an internet cafe 3 blocks away to pay him via paypal!

Then I went and had chili dogs with a bunch of the artists...

VERY fun day...

O I also saw some M11 art.. but I won't say what, or who... not trying to get anyone in trouble- they were visiting and not even set up. (I don't think they realized I even saw.)

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 pm

=D>

Congrats on your haul and fun adventure. Super jealous - very cool report; thank you so much for sharing. Would have loved to get some sigs and sketched artist proofs... Feel free to post pics if you get a chance!!!

Take it easy,
Jared

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:56 pm

O I also saw some M11 art.. but I won't say what, or who... not trying to get anyone in trouble- they were visiting and not even set up. (I don't think they realized I even saw.)
My friends out here working on the new stuff try and hide it from me when I visit them.

How about Sweet, did he sign any cards :-D :-P :-D

I'm gonna pick up that nice pin-up that Robh brought with him.