Double-faced MtG cards in Innistrad

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

STUNT

Post by STUNT » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:55 am

I think we all use opaque sleeves, but I also think it's a bad idea to be flipping theese cards beacause the sleeve with a dobule faced card will have a lot of wear more than the others...

I will definitely use the checklist and I´ll keep the double faced cards in a transparent sleeve (but has hard as the opaque ones).

Can wit to see the misprints xD

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:21 am

Apart from this being extremely stupid in my opinion it is actually extremely stupid to print any non mtg back tournament legal cards.

Not all types of sleeves (UltraPros would most likely not do the job here) cover up the backside 100% and I think if any of the cards will see a lot of play it will cause a lot of trouble. People appealing because of marked cards all the time does not see unreasonable to me.
I am simply not able to understand why they did not bring the old Kamigawa mechanic back.

Hopefully there will be double sided flip cards with 4 pictures on them drawn by 4 different artists one day so that you signed card junkies get something real to accomplish :wink:

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:38 am

See, I think this is a great example of how proxies will have to be allowed. Take some old basic land, write on it, then grab your double sided card. It might just have to be that way.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Well, MY question is:

How will they do artist proofs? The logical answer is two proofs per card but will they do that?

My take on the whole thing is: "When you run out of good ideas, this is what you get..."

thulnanth wrote:Just be sure to ask the artist to sign BOTH sides in the letter you send with them. I did that with all my Rage cards and never had a problem :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:33 am

fvzappa wrote:See, I think this is a great example of how proxies will have to be allowed. Take some old basic land, write on it, then grab your double sided card. It might just have to be that way.
You mean this :

:D

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 am

Haha there you go! Mind telling me what it says at the top of the card?

STUNT

Post by STUNT » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 am

fvzappa wrote:Haha there you go! Mind telling me what it says at the top of the card?
You can mark the card to represent a double-sided card in your library or your hand.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:35 pm

STUNT wrote:
fvzappa wrote:Haha there you go! Mind telling me what it says at the top of the card?
You can mark the card to represent a double-sided card in your library or your hand.
Has anyone seen how these will be available? Will they send them to the TO/store or will they be in boosters (like in the place of the t/t card or land)?

Gary

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:32 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
STUNT wrote:
Has anyone seen how these will be available? Will they send them to the TO/store or will they be in boosters (like in the place of the t/t card or land)?

Gary
Since it's supposed to have a normal back, it could be mixed in with the commons. I can see it also being in the t/t slot though.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:11 pm

The checklist card is supposed to be in 3/4 of packs, and it will replace a land.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:36 pm

psrex wrote:The checklist card is supposed to be in 3/4 of packs, and it will replace a land.
Thanks, did I miss that in the WotC blurb--thought I read it all.

Gary

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:59 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
psrex wrote:The checklist card is supposed to be in 3/4 of packs, and it will replace a land.
Thanks, did I miss that in the WotC blurb--thought I read it all.

Gary
its in rosewater's article. Its printed on the basic land sheet and that is their reason for only printing 3 arts of each basic land.

There will be a double face card in every pack as it replaces a common.

anselan
Librarities Member

Card frequencies

Post by anselan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:19 pm

We now know that there are 20 Double-Faced Cards (DFCs) in Innistrad. They break down as 1 Mythic = Garruk, 6 Rares, 7 Uncommons & 6 Commons. Although they all appear on 1 sheet, the rarity is surely a guide to the frequency of the card (unlike in the recent Commander set where the rarity colour was purely decorative).

I can't be the first to have figured out that if these appear in the ratio 1 : 2 : 6 : 11, then they will exactly cover a 121-slot sheet. This compares to single-faced cards which are 1 : 2 : ~6 : ~9.6. So the commons DFCs are marginally more frequent than they should be, especially when taking into account the substitution of a common from time to time by a foil.

Discounting the DFCs, the rest of the non-basic lands have the familiar pattern 15 Mythics, 53 Rares, 60 Uncommons & 101 Commons. 15+2*53 = 121 and the significance of 101 was explored here in the context of M10:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... highlight=

which I generally stand by except that I think that I should have taken the variable f to be 15/67 not 16.67.

But the fact that the basic number of commons / booster is odd rather than even in ISD I think may make a difference to how one can sample from the Good versus Bad sections of the sheets. If you are opening lots of boxes and you happen to capture the common order, please circulate.

And if someone is opening enough boosters to figure out the solution for Uncommons, then I would be very grateful. Even if it is just to announce that one uncommon is 50% more frequent than the others!

Because of the DFC checklist cards occupying say 91 slots of the "Basic Land" sheet, each of the 15 ISD lands will occur twice, and hence has the same rarity as a regular Rare! Snap them up! :D

The Common foil sheet normally has 101 Commons + 20 Basic Lands. Surely in ISD 5 of the foil basic lands wills be duplicated.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Andy

Reference the contents of a box I documented the following:

By name

20 duel sided cards
7 Mythic Rare
31 Rare
61 U
106 commons
9 Basic Lands
26 Proxy cards
9 of 12 tokens, missing black wolf, Wurm, Angel
15 of 16 tips, missing Got a Plainswalker problem? (Garruk)

Uncommons:
3 Dissipate
1 or 2 of each the rest

Gary

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:00 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Andy

Reference the contents of a box I documented the following:

By name

20 duel sided cards
7 Mythic Rare
31 Rare
61 U
106 commons
9 Basic Lands
26 Proxy cards
9 of 12 tokens, missing black wolf, Wurm, Angel
15 of 16 tips, missing Got a Plainswalker problem? (Garruk)

Uncommons:
3 Dissipate
1 or 2 of each the rest

Gary
I had even less basic lands :(
I find it really irritating to not have even the half of each basics in one box, and so many sh**** proxy cards that I won't be using ...
Given what you pay for a box, at least all the basic lands and commons should be secured.
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467