Modern Master revealed (June 2013)

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 am

l0qii wrote:I think the $7 price tag is also to help mitigate a devaluation of existing cards.
I don't believe that for a min. Tap4black is right on. Money grab is a good word for it The mitigation of devaluation is irrelevant to WotC unless--and I could never believe this would happen--WotC would only take the amount of profit they get on a regular pack and the rest of the profit would go to the distributor/shop owner. After all it is not WotC that gets hurt if a card becomes devaluated. They already sold it and made whatever they will ever make on that piece of paper. Only the secondary market, speculators and collectors are affected by increase or decrease in the value of cards and I'll bet you none of them are going to get any "extra" percentage from WotC on this product.

Add to that, that there won't be a single card in the set that i don't already have.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:41 am

mystical_tutor wrote: After all it is not WotC that gets hurt if a card becomes devaluated.
That was their assumption when they printed Chronicles and it almost killed the game. It hurt them so badly they were forced to institute a reprint policy.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 am

l0qii wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote: After all it is not WotC that gets hurt if a card becomes devaluated.
That was their assumption when they printed Chronicles and it almost killed the game. It hurt them so badly they were forced to institute a reprint policy.
I was quite active in Magic at that time and never got the impression that Ch almost killed the game. The reprint policy was being batted around before Ch was even in print.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:56 am

Well it comes down to perceived value, after all it is just cardboard. While magic generally shouldn't be viewed as an investment, its hard not to. You often buy cards and sell them later for around the same price. You want to feel secure putting your money out there. if WOTC they make moves that suddenly lose you a lot of money, I'd say its safe to assume you're more reluctant to put your money out there. WOTC is walking a really thin line with this one. Higher MSRP should equate to a higher perceived value of the final product, we'll see tho.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:39 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
l0qii wrote:
I was quite active in Magic at that time and never got the impression that Ch almost killed the game. The reprint policy was being batted around before Ch was even in print.

Gary
I was also very active back then. I guess we had different experiences. I knew a bunch of people who quit around that time. I ended up buying a lot of those collections.

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:54 am

unless--and I could never believe this would happen--WotC would only take the amount of profit they get on a regular pack and the rest of the profit would go to the distributor/shop owner.
I see the chances of this happening to be about the same as a stream of flying monkeys suddenly appearing out my posterior!
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

I was still playing back at 'Chronicles'!

We were very excited in our group as no one was playing before 'Fallen Empires' so these were going to be all new, all powerful!

We opened enough packs to get a full set, including the highly prized Elder Dragons.

I don't think we ever played with any of the cards, and with our limited collections and the small pool of cards in our area no one's collection lost any value.

I will get one of each booster for the collection but won't be going for a set.

WotC are always experimenting, number of cards in a pack, number of lands in a pack, all foil packs, 'Best Of' sets, digital cards etc.

Seems a bit pricey to me, I guess they are hoping everyone will spend big to get a foil tamathingy to flip on eBay.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Yah, I've also been a bit confused by the 'Chronicles almost destroyed the game' comment I hear from time to time. I was very much both a player and collector at the time and I don't remember that at all. I remember horrid sets almost killing the game (4th edition is horrid, Homelands, others), but not Chronicles. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't excited by my Dragons losing value, but I did know that anything was open to reprinting (they had already done it in Revised).

I think this is a very interesting experiment. How much 'direct' reprinting will have how much of an impact on values. By direct I mean not introduced into standard, but released LIKE a normal set. Time will tell, and I hope they print 'enough' but not 'too much'...a very tight rope...
He's just this guy, ya know?

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:56 pm

I remember a number of people selling out because they thought that everything of value that they had was going to be reprinted. I do agree, however, that the bad sets of the time are much more to blame than Chronicles.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:57 am

Chronicles (July '95), and it's bastard step-cousin, 4th Edition (April '95), did reprint alot of cards in a matter of months of each other. While the effect depressed the values of some of the higher-value cards (Original Legends Elder Dragons went from $30+ each to $10-$15 each and then lower in a matter of weeks), the infusion of many more cards was overall welcomed by players and collectors alike. The backlash from collectors was a faint whisper mostly because the A-League cards (Power, Abyss, etc.) were not reprinted and their true value (playability + rarity= higher collectibility) remained intact.

This set will be welcomed by both players and collectors alike. For the players, it will be another limited format to enjoy as well as more modern staples in circulation. For us crazy collectors, the oddity of another version of a good card (read: 'goyf) will surely have us scouring trades and auctions for what we want. I am both a player and collector so I stand to have a win-win experience when this comes out.

I got giddy when they reprinted Swords to Plowshares recently in the duel decks because it was another version of a staple that tickled the collector in me. Once I see the set, draft it and crack some sealed product, I can almost assuredly find some pet cards to collect (specifically in foil). As for the set collection, I will not be going for this set because, as Gary stated, I already have the card in some other fashion. I will almost certainly be looking for playsets of some of what is reprinted for either redundency or for the collection. Anything else I will be trading away and those trades will most likely be profitable (i.e.- 1st tarmogoyf I open becomes a blue chip trading piece in my binder).

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 am

chaosdjinn wrote:Chronicles (July '95), ...
Wow, is it really over 17 years ago that we opened our first Chronicles boosters? 8-[

Back than most of us didn't like the colors, white borders and the expansion symbols on the reprints ...

... and I think the foreign relative "Renaissance" had some similar problems here in Germany. :-k

BUT, as a 'just-old-frame-player' and 'new-frame-just-promo-collector' I'm curious how this experiment will work nowadays.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:26 am

chaosdjinn wrote:Once I [...] crack some sealed product
Are you sure you will be able to ? :-D

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:08 am

magic-belgium wrote:
chaosdjinn wrote:Once I [...] crack some sealed product
Are you sure you will be able to ? :-D
I think I should be able to pre-order a box or two unless they severely underptint this.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 am

Knutsen wrote:
chaosdjinn wrote:Chronicles (July '95), ...
Wow, is it really over 17 years ago that we opened our first Chronicles boosters? 8-[
Yes- makes me feel old! :-O