Black Lotus Original Art on Sale

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Black Lotus Original Art on Sale

Post by kalimno » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:48 am

I just wanted to let all know that there is an original Black Lotus art on sale on you know where.

This is not the C. Rush original, but one recently comissioned to another C.R. - Chris Rahn - for Magic Online Holiday Cube.

It is sold by the artist himself, because I got the information from him.

The link is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121030273643?ss ... 1555.l2649

I am sure some of you already know - looking at the current bids :)

The auction is scheduled to end around December 7th. I wanted to make sure as much of you know about it as possible. I know there are many here that have the willingness combined with resources. And I wouldn't like you to miss your chance.

Best,

Ari

Apocalypse2K
Legendary Apocalypse Tempest Collector

Post by Apocalypse2K » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43 pm

I thought this new new Black Lotus must be 2013 Vintage Championship prize.

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:33 pm

No Hiromichi,

Artists told me that the championship prize original arts are taken by WotC upon completion.

Best,

Ari

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 pm

kalimno wrote:Artists told me that the championship prize original arts are taken by WotC upon completion.
we've had peeps in this forum confirm the art for vintage world champs card IS the prize. The card frame is all fancy matting for a piece of original art.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... ature/223b

I like the concept, but not really sure I could put that kind of value on it because its not really the black lotus, its just a black lotus.

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:26 pm

caquaa wrote:
I like the concept, but not really sure I could put that kind of value on it because its not really the black lotus, its just a black lotus.
But yes, the truth is that, the prices bid are not for art, but for the iconic value of the card it reprsents. It is another Black Lotus - the second. And it is available right now and it is all about that.

I wouldn't be suprised if this auction ended in tens of thousands. As, for some people, that is such an insignificant amount. Less than what they pay for a handbag... And even that is no where as iconic or as unique as that piece of art...

Well, I like Chris Rahn's work, and own one of his originals. He is a good artist. But the price won't be for the signature. Any current CCG illustrator would fetch the same price for his Black Lotus, except a big name such as Donato probably would go higher.

And I believe the art will probably end up in the hands of a dealer after all. With a million dollar price tag :)

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:56 pm

kalimno wrote:...And I believe the art will probably end up in the hands of a dealer after all. With a million dollar price tag :)
Like D.Chang?
Last edited by berkumps on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:16 pm

I believe Mr. Chang is one probable candidate. But why not SCG ? That would be publicity for them too.

Anyway, we will have to wait another week and see.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for posting this Ari. I am not much of a news person and didn't even see the announcement so am in debt to you for bringing it to my attention.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:17 pm

My pleasure Sir !