A Christmas Magiclibrarities Exclusivity

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:38 am

Hi Members

Woke up this morning and there's fog all over where I live, that might explain the blurry scan :) Teaser 4 is on...
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Alexis;

You really need cut back on your drinking.... This waking up in a fog is not at all healthy......
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:44 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Alexis;

You really need cut back on your drinking.... This waking up in a fog is not at all healthy......
Looks like I'm your favourite Lüger Target whatever I do or write :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Alexis;

Your my favorite slam dunk partner. I know that no matter how cool I might catch you on some little slip--your going to get one on me later... LOL.

Keep up the good work, my friend.

Gary

And definatly no Lugers....
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:51 am

Hi Members

Teaser 5 is on...
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:40 am

For what it's worth, I can verify the locations of the cards in peeks 4 and 5 are identical to the locations of the cards as printed on a Beta rare sheet.

Beyond that, I can also verify that this is something I have never seen before! :-D
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:22 am

tap4black wrote: Beyond that, I can also verify that this is something I have never seen before! :-D
Hi Len

I bet, it's one of a kind...Teaser 6 is on :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:15 pm

This is totally unreal. I have never seen anything like it.

sk1
Librarities Legend

Post by sk1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:41 pm

This looks like some kind of early proof sheet, with a clear overlay containing the text. The printer can print the text on a clear overlay, then line it up over the proof sheet to check the spacing of the text relative to the card frames. This way the art and text can be reviewed and approved separately, then together.

It also looks like the "black borders" may be a separate overlay, possibly some type of paper or cardboard - this might have been used to test what different borders might look like. By doing this, the printer can swap different color borders to see what the finished cards would look like.

The use of a "V" instead of a "ff" also supports the proposition that this is some kind of test sheet. Many early word processing programs would substitute easier to read symbols (called ligatures) for certain letter combinations - with one such combination being "ff". The crossbars of the two printed "f"s next to each other would kind of blend together to form one character, so some printers (and early word processing programs) would substitute these ligatures. Another common ligature, coincidentally, is the "AE" in AErathi (Berserker).

I am hoping that this description is close enough to win the contest. Assuming so, I will forward my mailing address to Alexis so that he can send the sheets to me as my prize. :-\'
Last edited by sk1 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:This is totally unreal. I have never seen anything like it.
Where else, you can see Unreal thing but on Magiclibrarities :wink:
sk1 wrote:This looks like some kind of early proof sheet, with a clear overlay containing the text. The printer can print the text on a clear overlay, then line it up over the proof sheet to check the spacing of the text relative to the card frames. This way the art and text can be reviewed and approved separately, then together.

It also looks like the "black borders" may be a separate overlay, possibly some type of paper or cardboard - this might have been used to test what different borders might look like. By doing this, the printer can swap different color borders to see what the finished cards would look like.

The use of a "V" instead of a "ff" also supports the proposition that this is some kind of test sheet. Many early word processing programs would substitute easier to read symbols (called ligatures) for certain letter combinations - with one such combination being "ff". The crossbars of the two printed "f"s net to each other would kind of blend together to for one character, so some printers (and early word processin programs) would substitute these ligatures. Another common ligature, coincidentally, is the "AE" in AErathi (Berserker).
The next 3 Teasers, will provide much more clues to the puzzle, the last one will give an answer, then I will add All the info :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:51 pm

sk1 wrote:This looks like some kind of early proof sheet, with a clear overlay containing the text. The printer can print the text on a clear overlay, then line it up over the proof sheet to check the spacing of the text relative to the card frames. This way the art and text can be reviewed and approved separately, then together.

The use of a "V" instead of a "ff" also supports the proposition that this is some kind of test sheet. Many early word processing programs would substitute easier to read symbols (called ligatures) for certain letter combinations - with one such combination being "ff". The crossbars of the two printed "f"s net to each other would kind of blend together to for one character, so some printers (and early word processin programs) would substitute these ligatures. Another common ligature, coincidentally, is the "AE" in AErathi (Berserker).
Yep, this is probably spot on.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Would they still be using ligatures in 1994? That's not the stone age, really. At least home printers haven't really progressed very much since then.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:43 am

I'm happy they went to a good home I had the opportunity to pick up those pieces myself. ;)
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:08 am

Hi Members

Teaser 7 is on....
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903