Arena League Promos: two versions of Urza's foil lands?

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Gits
Librarities Hero

Arena League Promos: two versions of Urza's foil lands?

Post by Gits » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 am

Hi.

I noticed something while storing arena league promos: some urza's saga foil lands display a bigger shooting star than others. In particular I have two swamps, one with the shooting star exacly as dispayed in this website gallery, the other with a bigger shooting star (the spike at "northwest" touches the inner border of the text box).

Is this something known that I ignore? Is this true for other lands?

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 am

Do you maybe mix that up with the Mercadian Masques Promo lands ? Here the different star tells you if its a promo or regular land .
Some scans will clarify it i guess.

Gits
Librarities Hero

Post by Gits » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:28 am

No, they are Urza's saga, so no distintion between alternative or normal foil exists, as far as I know. They are promo only. I will try to post a scan in the incoming days

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:50 am

Gits wrote:No, they are Urza's saga, so no distintion between alternative or normal foil exists, as far as I know. They are promo only. I will try to post a scan in the incoming days
Hi

It's easy, Urza Saga Arena lands have a Big Shooting Star, while the normal foils have a smaller one.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:55 am

Not sure, but weren't the first 'normal' foils in Urza's Legacy?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:58 am

Knutsen wrote:Not sure, but weren't the first 'normal' foils in Urza's Legacy?
What's not sure? Forest Urza Saga Arena. First Card with the Expansion Logo. First Foil Card with the Big Shooting Star.
Plains Arena 2000. First Foil Card with the Small Shooting Star. Arena League Mercadian Masques premium basic lands have a smaller shooting star than regular Mercadian Masques premium basic lands.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:14 am

dragsamou wrote:
Gits wrote:No, they are Urza's saga, so no distintion between alternative or normal foil exists, as far as I know. They are promo only. I will try to post a scan in the incoming days
Hi

It's easy, Urza Saga Arena lands have a Big Shooting Star, while the normal foils have a smaller one.
Hi,
Foil Urza's saga cards don't exist, "regular" Foil cards begin with the next set...

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 am

yvel wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
Hi

Hi,
Foil Urza's saga cards don't exist, "regular" Foil cards begin with the next set...
Hi Jonathan

That's correct, I did have a blonde moment, but again, I don't collect any normal cards after Exodus, so after that, it's twilight zone for me :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 am

yvel wrote:Foil Urza's saga cards don't exist, "regular" Foil cards begin with the next set...
That's what I wanted to say :) ... So, why does Gits has 2 different Foil versions?

@ Gits: Do you have pictures?!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Lets see the scans. Also this it the time of a lot of different testing and trial runs so almost anything can exist.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Gits
Librarities Hero

Post by Gits » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:08 am

Hi!

Here you are, sorry for the quality. As you can see the star on the right is bigger, touching the inner frame on top left and crossing it on left. Also one tip goes below the border shadow

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:18 am

Gits wrote:Hi!

Here you are, sorry for the quality. As you can see the star on the right is bigger, touching the inner frame on top left and crossing it on left. Also one tip goes below the border shadow

Hi Gits

Thanks for the scans. I confirmed that, as I went through my 20 Arena Lands, I do have an Island affected like that :-O . Now need to check my sealed boosters. I will add in the info of Arena Lands Urza Saga that bigger shooting star exist for Island and Swamp, till we can check for the 3 others lands. Great find =D> PS:At least 4 more Arena Urza Saga lands to find now with the Bigger Shooting Star #-o

And I have the answer, 2 different versions of the Urza Saga boosters exist. On the scan, the one on the left is the second version, on the right the first version (Having the bigger shooting star) and that were not sealed. So, I'm pretty sure that the 5 Urza Saga lands are affected. Also the Urza Saga Lands were given in 2 different years 1999 and 2000, that could explain also why 2 different Shooting stars.

Last edited by dragsamou on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

califrag

Post by califrag » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:47 am

Cool, nice catch , I had two of them in my stack of arena islands. (here's another pic of one vs a regular one)

full img: http://i.imgur.com/39ThW2i.jpg[/img]

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:02 am

I wonder, do both versions of the Island exist with the missing expansion symbol error?

I'm working on a global set of this artwork of Island, so I will need one of these versions, once I figure out which one I already have. (traveling at the moment and won't be able to check for at least a few days)

Great Find!

Tav

EDIT: Just noticed that the small star Island shown above IS missing the expansion symbol. Does a small star Island also exist WITH the symbol?
Maybe I already have both versions.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Members

Can you check your Arena Urza Saga cards from 1999 and 2000 to see if 2 versions exist for:
*Pouncing Jaguar
*Island NO expansion symbol
*Skittering Skirge
*Mountain
*Rewind
*Plains
*Karn, Silver Golem
*Duress

JUDGE GIFTS
*Lightning Bolt
*Stroke of Genius
*Gaea's Cradle

JUNIOR SUPER SERIES
*Thran Quarry

This will be very bad news, if on top of the Lands, the others are affected #-o
Last edited by dragsamou on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.