Supposed Test Prints of colored borders FIXED

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Supposed Test Prints of colored borders FIXED

Post by dragsamou » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Members

As this topic has been posted on FB, I put it here to share with you and get your tought about it:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Daniel J. Chang
PM Serious offers only. Back is blank. Wizards wanted to see what colored borders looked like...
Rejected by Wizards...only one sheet was made and a set of cards made as a sample. More pictures to come.

Pic courtesy of VintageMagic.com, LLC.

Those are my comments:

Hi All, to my knowledge and from talking with people that were involved on those years , colored borders projects were definately banned from WOTC with Arabian Nights. Read the last chapter "A Note on the Expansion Symbol". http://howell.seattle.wa.us/games/MtG/A ... tmare.html
Arabian Nightmare
howell.seattle.wa.us
This was originally posted to the GG-l mailing list. Production procedures famil...

Hi Daniel, I think you know me and that before I add anything on my website, I verify and triple check the info, I do not say that they are not real, but I never heard about them from people involved in this kind of Test Prints projects. Short version, colored borders and different backs projects for MTG cards were definately abandoned by WOTC with the Arabian Project. Can't wait to get more info and pics about those cards you own, cause for now I'm over skeptical, the only time I have seen a green like that was for precusor of fillers, but No white back. See Filler 026 and 027: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/348-rar ... mages.html
Last edited by dragsamou on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:54 pm

reminds me of the grey bordered cards.

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... sc&start=0
Ralph Herold wrote:inca911: It was indeed me who told pickle.69 that a grey border was tested as an alternative to the white border in the earliest days of Magic. I believe I had received this information from Dave Howell, former production manager of WotC and registered member of this forum named snarke. I may even have found the information on his website Magic - A Historical Perspective (a link can be found in the Links section) which is unfortunately offline at the moment. Maybe Dave will comment on this topic himself, otherwise I will contact him.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:20 am

cataclysm80 wrote:reminds me of the grey bordered cards.

Ralph Herold wrote:inca911: It was indeed me who told pickle.69 that a grey border was tested as an alternative to the white border in the earliest days of Magic. I believe I had received this information from Dave Howell, former production manager of WotC and registered member of this forum named snarke. I may even have found the information on his website Magic - A Historical Perspective (a link can be found in the Links section) which is unfortunately offline at the moment. Maybe Dave will comment on this topic himself, otherwise I will contact him.
Hi Tav

As we all know, Gold and Grey borders, ended up being borders in MTG.
First Gold Borders for the Pro Tour decks in 1996, then for the World Championships Decks in 1997.
Grey borders for Unglued in 1998 and then Unhinged in 2004.

Now, let's come back of the supposed Borders tested from the info provided:
Colors: Blue, Green, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, and Yellow.
It was a 36 card sheet that was split into two 18 card sheets.

I'm still waiting for better HQ pics, as you clearly see that multiple white dots are on the borders. Also, is it normal, logical or even possible, that on a 36 sheet , never heard about 6 X6, all these colors were tested at once ? 5 X 5 as for the Guru sheets, this I know about even with Grey borders on the uncut sheets:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/50-rari ... index.html

So far, I'm much more thinking about an inside job, from WOTC employees or at Carta Mundi, or else but I don't buy the Official Color Borders Test Prints that was rejected by WOTC, of course if the owner provides serious info that can be verified, I might eventually reconsider my thought, but for now, I still remain over skeptical.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:06 pm

There is precedent for a 36 card sheet around that time frame.

It's a very early print for Revised.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... et+revised

Also...
Snarke wrote: "I took the art back down with me that night, and spent the entire night printing out black and white proof sheets, so that everybody could check for quirks and problems"

"It typically took the imagesetter about 30 minutes per sheet, four sheets (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) per quadrant, four quadrants per plate. "

"We don't have an image setter that can print film for an entire printing plate, so we break it into quadrants."

"Each printing plate was broken into four quadrants. Printing plate 1 had 1a (6 cards by 6 cards), 1b (5×6), 1c (6×5), and 1d (5×5)."

The 6 card by 6 card quadrant (36 cards total) is the bottom right quadrant.

So far all of the cards Daniel has revealed are also from the bottom right quadrant of a Revised common sheet.

I'm looking forward to more info from Daniel.
Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with someone who would have worked at Wizards back then and might remember something about this?

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:26 pm

dragsamou wrote: Now, let's come back of the supposed Borders tested from the info provided:
Colors: Blue, Green, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, and Yellow.
It was a 36 card sheet that was split into two 18 card sheets.

Also, is it normal, logical or even possible, that on a 36 sheet, all these colors were tested at once ?
Regarding the colors,... Daniel listed those colors off the top of his head and said not to quote him and that he would provide more info later.

I'd be surprised if a 36 card sheet had more than 6 different border colors. We may have one color in that list which should not be there.

If the sheet were 6 cards by 6 cards, then the colors could run in either rows or columns across the sheet.

I think that having multiple border colors on a single sheet of cards would make the cutting process more difficult. If a card was cut a little off center, it could show one of the neighboring cards different border color.

Tav

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:I think that having multiple border colors on a single sheet of cards would make the cutting process more difficult. If a card was cut a little off center, it could show one of the neighboring cards different border color.
Actually, that would be a cool way to ensure you are getting perfect centering during sheet cutting. Even a 45/55 would be glaringly obvious due to the color differences.

Not saying that's the purpose of them, just that it would be a neat idea.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 pm

I suppose that if the colored border idea would have been accepted, then they would have used a single color of border on a sheet so as not to have those cutting difficulties, but supposedly (if the story is true) this test sheet had multiple colors just so they could see how it looked.

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:34 pm

dragsamou wrote: As we all know, Gold and Grey borders, ended up being borders in MTG.
First Gold Borders for the Pro Tour decks in 1996, then for the World Championships Decks in 1997.
Grey borders for Unglued in 1998 and then Unhinged in 2004.

There were some gold borders before 1996. The backs of the Collector's Edition cards had gold borders, which would be around the very end of 1993 if I recall correctly.

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 pm

I did some digging and gathered some more info on these and another topic that interests me. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to reveal most of it, but I think it will be revealed in time.
Just wanted to make a couple corrections to what's already been said.
Two 36 card sheets were made. One of them was cut in half, 18 cards per half. The other was cut into individual cards, some of which were supposedly sent to WotC as samples.

6 different border colors listed above exist. Orange is the color listed above which does not exist.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:16 am

More pics courtesy of VintageMagic.com, LLC.

Back of Swamp is white back like Artist Proof

Island Back

Last edited by dragsamou on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks for posting those Alexis!

I think the textless Island would be more relevant in the thread with the other textless cards though...
HERE

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:52 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:Thanks for posting those Alexis!

I think the textless Island would be more relevant in the thread with the other textless cards though...
HERE

Tav
Hi Tav

I will move the Textess Island, once we have more info on this one. as it's not an Unlimited or Summer Colors :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:50 pm

I think that with a little more research we will find that this IS like the Summer colors ones.

For now, this is the best comparison I could do. This textless Island next to a Summer Island. Both scanned by Daniel.

These pictures are provided by VintageMagic.com, LLC. Their website will be launching December 2014 @ www.vintagemagic.com
Please check our their social media channels:
www.facebook.com/vintagemtg
www.twitter.com/vintagemtg
www.instagram.com/vintagemtg
www.youtube.com/gradedmagiccards
www.pinterest.com/vintagemtg
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:11 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:I think that with a little more research we will find that this IS like the Summer colors ones.

For now, this is the best comparison I could do. This textless Island next to the Summer Island from the Rarities section here. (picture quality could be better)

Thanks Tav, as you probably know, as I have only one Summer card, I can't be very helpul to compare.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:12 am

Hi Members

More pics of the supposed 2 Uncut sheets:

Pics courtesy of VintageMagic.com, LLC.
Last edited by dragsamou on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.