Supposed Test Prints of colored borders FIXED

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

palaueb
Librarities Member

Post by palaueb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:49 am

and what is the supposed prize for this cards? obviously most than summers, but how much more? we speak about thousands?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:57 am

palaueb wrote:and what is the supposed prize for this cards? obviously most than summers, but how much more? we speak about thousands?
Hi

As a first step, I try to verify the authenticity and precised info about those, as no one heard about those for over 20 years. I'm not the owner, don't advertise them, just trying to find the truth.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Daniel posted some Summer lands for sale, so I grabbed that scan and updated the side by side comparison of Summer vs. textless Island on page 1 of this thread.

palaueb
Librarities Member

Post by palaueb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:28 pm

they have not the year, maybe they do between revised first print and summer ones.

And, the textless do not appear on the printsheets that Alexis show us.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Correct, these textless test prints are different from the colored border test prints, and that is why I suggested that they be moved to a different thread where we had already discussed some textless test prints.

Alexis did not want to move the textless cards to the other thread until we had more information. I'm trying to gather more information on them so that the textless cards can be moved and this thread could then stay focused on the colored border cards.

I scanned Unlimited, Revised, & 4th Islands and photoshopped them together with the Summer and textless that Daniel scanned. I did not adjust any colors at all. (I added the German test print version from elsewhere just for fun.) This is not an ideal situation because the images are put together from two different scanners, but this is as good as we will get until one of us has all of these cards in the same place and can scan them all together at the same time.
Is this sufficient to show that Daniels textless cards are the same as the previously discussed Summer Colors textless cards?

Tav

Images of Summer Island & Textless Island are provided by VintageMagic.com, LLC. Their website will be launching December 2014 @ www.vintagemagic.com
Please check our their social media channels:
www.facebook.com/vintagemtg
www.twitter.com/vintagemtg
www.instagram.com/vintagemtg
www.youtube.com/gradedmagiccards
www.pinterest.com/vintagemtg
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:17 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi Members

More pics of the supposed 2 Uncut sheets:

I'd like to point out that these cards are arranged on the sheet exactly the same as they would be on the bottom right quadrant of a regular Revised uncut Common sheet. (6 card by 6 card block as described elsewhere by Dave Howell)

However, these cards could not have been made from a regular Revised sheet as these colored border sheets (actually one sheet cut in half) have a white margin around the sheet. They were definitely a separate printing.

Also, the colored border cards are definitely Revised. Revised was the first set to have a Tap Symbol, and all subsequent sets had a copyright date.

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:21 am

I hear that Daniel will have these at Gen Con if anyone wants to see them.

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:54 pm

OK, update on the textless cards Daniel has, I got this one from him, and Scanned all of these cards together here on my scanner. This should allow for the accurate comparisons of these cards...

Cards are arranged as follows...
Unlimited
Summer, Textless, 4th
German test print, Revised, Armada Comics promo

I'll post them and a scan of the backs in the textless cards thread later.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9106

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Re: Supposed Test Prints of colored borders

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:37 am

I recently had an opportunity to speak with Dave Howell, Wizards of the Coast production manager Alpha through The Dark, about these colored border test prints.

cataclysm80 wrote: I'd love to hear your thoughts on these colored border cards.
(I showed him the uncut sheet pictures from this thread)

snarke wrote: Oh, that does look familiar. Huh. Y'know, I retract my earlier statement. I think I *did* do a test run for colored card edges. Is the sheet pictured above white on the back, and weirdly glossy?
cataclysm80 wrote: Yes, the colored border sheet is white on the back side.
I'm not sure about the gloss, but the cards are arranged identical to the lower right portion of a Revised sheet.
snarke wrote: Yea, It's all terribly hazy now, but I do have this recollection of taking a file (apparently the lower right Revised common file) in Freehand, and pulling out colored rectangles behind them, then having our imagesetting service bureau run films and make a Fujiproof so we could see how it looked. Fujiproofs are very shiny, much more than the varnish coat on printed cards. The paper is also thinner. The dark blue-purple in the first picture is what you get when you print 100% cyan and 100% magenta.

There you go, The guy who made these says that they are real.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:42 am

cataclysm80 wrote: There you go, The guy who made these says that they are real.
Hi Tav

I've read it also, do you own any to verify the weirdy glossy and thinner part ? What about the sixth color used: Pink, you mentioned orange earlier, but there's none on the sheet , While the explanations are great, as mentioned by Dave it's a hazy memory and doesn't implies that those are real.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:19 pm

dragsamou wrote: What about the sixth color used: Pink, you mentioned orange earlier, but there's none on the sheet.

From earlier in this thread...
dragsamou wrote: Now, let's come back of the supposed Borders tested from the info provided:
Colors: Blue, Green, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, and Yellow.
cataclysm80 wrote: Regarding the colors,... Daniel listed those colors off the top of his head and said not to quote him and that he would provide more info later.

I'd be surprised if a 36 card sheet had more than 6 different border colors. We may have one color in that list which should not be there.
cataclysm80 wrote: 6 different border colors listed above exist. Orange is the color listed above which does not exist.
Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Do you own any to verify the weirdy glossy and thinner part ?
I do not own any of these. As far as I know, Daniel still has them.
For the sheet which was cut into individual cards, Daniel only has some of them. The other individual cards are waiting to be found if they still exist.
I would like to own the yellow bordered Reconstruction, but Daniel does not have that one. If anyone finds it, please let me know.

snarke wrote: The Fujiproof system laminated the layers together so you couldn't lift them up and separate them.
These colored border prints would have been printed locally, not by Carta Mundi.
The individual cards would also have been cut locally, which explains the damaged edges (white spots). It looks like they were cut with a sliding blade similar to what is used for making photo mats to frame pictures.

Tav

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Post by Alifromcairo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:01 am

These colored border prints would have been printed locally, not by Carta Mundi.
The individual cards would also have been cut locally, which explains the damaged edges (white spots). It looks like they were cut with a sliding blade similar to what is used for making photo mats to frame pictures.
True. My first thought when I saw this pink bordered Merfolk on Daniel's low resolution picture is that it has been poorly handmade cut with a paper trimmer. These white dots give an impression of poor ink quality (take a look closer at this swamp too). Not to annoy Daniel, but given the fact that there are so many advanced printing technics around these days, that these cards are supposed to be more than 20 years old and that they are resurfacing today from nowhere while nobody has never heard of them, and that Dave's memories are "terribly hazy", I would not say that they are 100% doubtful but I personally share Alexis's skepticism.
Visit the Shores of Imagination

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:50 pm

cataclysm80 wrote: There are still a few people who doubt that the colored border Revised test prints are real.

How sure are you that you made something like that?
snarke wrote: Fairly certain, but I could almost certainly state authoritatively one way or the other whether these are the ones I made, if I could see a good photo of the bottom edge of the sheet

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:20 pm

dragsamou wrote: colored borders projects were definately banned from WOTC with Arabian Nights. Read the last chapter "A Note on the Expansion Symbol". http://howell.seattle.wa.us/games/MtG/A ... tmare.html
Arabian Nightmare
howell.seattle.wa.us
This was originally posted to the GG-l mailing list. Production procedures famil...
Here is the referenced section...
snarke wrote: A Note on the Expansion Symbol

The Arabian Nights booster box features the Magic card back, but all purple-y, like the box itself. That was what the backs of Arabian Nights cards were going to look like. If you'd mixed them into your deck, you'd know you were about to draw one. We'd found that this really was not a problem when we'd been playtesting. After all, playtest cards mixed into a real Magic deck were glaringly obvious, but none of the playtesters had any issues with it.

But when Magic players heard the news, they went ballistic. Mind you, this was the same rabid throng that had told us what utter losers we were to try and scam the public by releasing a game where you didn't get all the cards when you bought it, but only some of them. Yea, right. Nevertheless, Peter was really worried, and felt we'd better switch the card backs back to the brown of the basic set.

(The ONLY reason, by the way, this was considered was because Carta Mundi could just use the printing plates they already had. If we'd had to make new film, it would never have been changed.)

But changing the card back was also very problematic. City in a Bottle required that a player could identify the Arabian Nights cards, and that was supposed to be done by the color of the back. How could we mark the cards? As you can tell from the previous story, there was absolutely no way whatsoever that we'd be making new film for the fronts!

The printer told us that they could "step and repeat" over the black printing plate to put a symbol on the front of the cards. It had to be black, and it had to be identical on all of them. We figured a scimitar would work, and Jesper and I picked out a spot where we could squeeze it onto the cards.

But how to get this image to Carta Mundi, in Belgium? We're already a few days late in getting the cards printed. Our fans are screaming, and any further delay means the printer won't have time to print the cards now. They have other jobs that are scheduled to start. Our job would have to wait until the next open slot in their schedule, which was a couple weeks out.

“We'll fax it to them.” I announce.

Naturally, everybody looks at me like I'm insane. Everybody knows how crappy and jagged faxes look. How can we possibly fax this teensy little scimitar to them in any useful form?

Blow it up first. We fax over a copy of the simitar that's eight inches long. An eight inch scimitar at 200dpi (that's "fine" quality on a fax), is a 3200dpi scimitar when it's shrunk down to 0.5 inches long.

And that's what we did.

There is no mention of colored borders. It only talks about card backs.

Tav