Interesting article on changes to set design and releases

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Interesting article on changes to set design and releases

Post by berkumps » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:16 pm

The gist of it, there's a new system in the works for how sets are designed and released, which will be implemented starting fall 2015.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... amorphosis
Change #1: Beginning in the Fall of 2015, Magic Blocks Will Be Two Sets Each

Starting with "Blood" block in September 2015, each block will have one large set that introduces the world and one small set that builds upon it. Blocks will no longer have a third set.
Change #2: Beginning in the Fall of 2015, Magic Will Have Two Blocks Per Year

Here's the typical schedule of the Magic year, with all the usual caveats about how Magic is about change and you should expect us to shake this up a bit over time: There will be a large fall expansion and small winter expansion set in World #1. Then there will be a large spring expansion and a small summer expansion, usually set in World #2. The first two sets will be part of one block and the second two sets will usually be part of a second.
Change #3: Beginning in 2016, the Core Sets Are No More

The summer of 2015 will have the last core set release, and in 2016, the summer set will be the second set of the block that started in spring of 2016...This would mean we'd have to solve the problem of what to do with new players, but there had already been talk of creating a product line solely for them, anyway.
Change #4: Beginning in 2016, the First Set of Each Block (the Fall and Spring Sets) Will Cause a Rotation

This in some ways isn't a change, but rather an adaptation to match the new Two-Block Paradigm. The first set of a block has always caused a rotation in the past. The Two-Block Paradigm just means that this now happens twice a year (in the fall and in the spring) rather than just in the fall.
Change #5: Beginning in 2016, Standard Will Be Three Blocks Rather Than Two Blocks

with the release of "Tears" block, the first spring block (in the spring of 2016), Standard will change over to be three two-set blocks...From this point on, the release of the first set of each block will rotate out the block three back, meaning that Standard will always consist of exactly three blocks, each of which will consist of no more than two sets. This also means that Standard will always consist of either five or six expansions.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:35 pm

About time they got rid of Core sets.

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:07 pm

l0qii wrote:About time they got rid of Core sets.
Hmm ... I like the idea of downsizing the 'Blocks' and because I don't play standard it doesn't natter to me what is tournament legal - but no more Core sets in the future? THAT is sad ...

... starting with Revised the core sets have always been the heart/spirit of the game for me. 8-| But these are of course just some old-school thoughts.

Maybe that's also a way to make the game more accessible to new players.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:32 pm

I think they should just have had a Core set that was evergreen and printed it on demand. A permanent Core set based on doing what it was supposed to do.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:12 am

random wrote:I think they should just have had a Core set that was evergreen and printed it on demand. A permanent Core set based on doing what it was supposed to do.
Was just about to say the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like that in the future

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:55 am

The article did mention that there was a plan for the core set
...This would mean we'd have to solve the problem of what to do with new players, but there had already been talk of creating a product line solely for them, anyway...