Fate Reforged Promos

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

User avatar
effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm
Location: Somewhere in France

Post by effai » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:28 am

to my knowledge, only 26 alternate art cards in Ugin's Fate Boosters, there are no basic lands...
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:37 am

effai wrote:to my knowledge, only 26 alternate art cards in Ugin's Fate Boosters, there are no basic lands...
MAGICSALEMAN wrote:Don't have yet the time to read all but :

- Concerning the basic land in the Ugin's Fate Booster, they own the Fate Reforged symbol but they could be as well be find in the Fate Reforged Fat pack and/or Intro Pack/Clash it seems..... but not sure.
Gary says also that you can get the Basic Lands in Ugin's Fate Booster

Wizards.com says: Each of these boosters contained two alternative-art cards, one Fate Reforged land, and a token. There were 26 cards plus 10 possible basic lands you could have received.

I'm lost... #-o
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm
Location: Somewhere in France

Post by effai » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:48 am

I think it just means that the basic lands in the Ugin's Fate boosters are not alternate art, but normal Fate Reforged basic lands
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Alexis;

I hope this helps, WotC put it up a while back but I wasn't able to find it previously. It doesn't show side by side with KOT lands but the theme is that these depict the plain in the past.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2015-01-05

They have different art than KOT lands and have the FR expansion symbol. They are numbered 174 to 185 for the final 10 cards in the set.

I still have not had anyone report that they actually pulled any of these from FR boosters. Only Fat Packs, the Intro decks and the clash pack.

If anyone does pull some please let me know.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:50 pm

effai wrote:I think it just means that the basic lands in the Ugin's Fate boosters are not alternate art, but normal Fate Reforged basic lands
effai; Normaly I would agree with this but I still sway back and forth with this set.

Previously I thought that the gain-lands did not rate any special status either and were just the normal FR lands.

I must consider, however, that;
1) the company has made a special effort to add flavor to the story line by commissioning these extra 20 pieces of art.
2) I can not recall any other expansion in a block that had basic lands so this is special enough to at least rate a commentary--if not pictures.
3) The gain-lands have me changing my mind every time I think about them.
a) Just different art, nothing special (my thoughts on one day)
b) Specifically designed to support the block theam and the company specifies them as AA. (my thought the next day)
c) Don't think about it and let Alexis worry about it..... (most of the time)

Gary
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm
Location: Somewhere in France

Post by effai » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Gary,

to my knowledge, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia and Avacyn Restored all had basic lands in it and weren't the main edition of the block

as for the gain land, I agree that what they did is specific, but I don't understand what is special about the situation of the basic lands...

edit : and given the fact that they all can be found easily in normal boosters, I don't think the 10 gain lands and the 10 basic lands should be considered as promo. This should be reserved to the 26 cards that can be found exclusively in the Ugin's Fate Boosters.
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:38 pm

effai wrote:Gary,

to my knowledge, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia and Avacyn Restored all had basic lands in it and weren't the main edition of the block
Good point, Your right. I forgot about them and as I looked into my binder of Innistrad I realized that the Avacyn lands actually have some alternate art and with the exception of one swamp, look brighter and lighter than the Innistrand lands. Dark Ascension the middle set does not have any basic lands. Thus, they must have been meant to depict the change in the land as Avicyn was restored. I do not remember the company ever saying anything about that though.
effai wrote:as for the gain land, I agree that what they did is specific, but I don't understand what is special about the situation of the basic lands..

edit : and given the fact that they all can be found easily in normal boosters, I don't think the 10 gain lands and the 10 basic lands should be considered as promo. This should be reserved to the 26 cards that can be found exclusively in the Ugin's Fate Boosters.
The special thing is that the company specifically toots them as part of the trip into the past when the plane was much younger. And, for the general public, distributed them only in the Ugin' Fate boosters. At least here in Colorado the only basic lands I have see pulled were pulled from the Ugin's Fate boosters. All the FR boosters I have opened (only 54) have not had basic lands. I read that in some languages the basic lands would be included in the boosters but I don't see that here. Also I don't see any lying around on the tables after a booster draft.
As I have asked before, if people are pulling them from FR boosters please share that with us, also what language and country it is happening in.

It is still my opinion that they are "promo" cards from the Ugin's Fate boosters.

IMHO, the whole AA idea has become greatly diluted over the past few years. It is almost meaningless to me anymore as we end up with multiple AA cards in every set.
It is a far cry from the Counterspell and Incinerate of the DCI membership days, or the panoramic land set of Arena so long ago and the Guru Lands. All of these represented something special and were only for those that put out a special effort. Now the special effort sometimes drops to just spending money. It is good that the top 8 on game day, the PTQ and even FNM hold some symbolism of "special"

So, if asked, I would put them with the prerelease promos. That is where they came from. An argument against that is there is no "P" on the bottom of the card. So at the very least, a historical note about them and the intent of their release.

Others will have different opinions, I respect that. Throw them in the extra land box, paste them on your wall or leave them in the bathroom in case the paper runs out.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm
Location: Somewhere in France

Post by effai » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:31 pm

with this distribution I understand your point of view:)

things must be different in european boxes then.

In the only english booster box I opened, I got 3 foil basic lands : the two islands and the second forest.
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:42 pm

I have to back up... Yes I did get one foil land in the FR boosters but got a gain-land too.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi All

After reading everything and looking at the10 Basic Lands, I will only add the 26 Ugin's Fate Promos. If the lands will have been Only available in Ugin's Fate booster, then I will have added them, but since, you can get them by others ways, I won't.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Sounds good to me.

Keep up the fire.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:15 pm
Location: Hamburg (Germany)

Post by Knutsen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:00 am

If anyone needs a set of the (english) Fate Reforged basic lands, just let me know - I bought a Fat Pack to get them.

Even they are not the normal kind of "promo" I like the idea they changed/evolved the artwork of the KTK gain and basic lands for FTR ... and am curious if they do the same again with DTK. :)

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:54 pm

effai wrote:Gary,
edit : and given the fact that they all can be found easily in normal boosters, I don't think the 10 gain lands and the 10 basic lands should be considered as promo.
effai; So you are saying the basic lands are commonly in French boosters?

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm
Location: Somewhere in France

Post by effai » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:16 pm

No no Gary, I wouldn't say that :)

The main reason why is because I don't know, I buy only english boosters :-P

What I meant by 'easily' is that you don't have to buy a special product, or participate to an event to get them, you just have to be lucky (in fact, this made me realize there were fewer basic lands than mythics in my box !)

3 basic lands out of one box is pretty low, and you seem to have even less ! but this shouldn't affect the fact that they are considered as Ugin's Fate promo or not.

The gain land, on the other hand, I got 2 or 3 of each of them.

If we consider the basic lands as promo, shouldn't we add the token from the UF booster in the promo section as well ?

The FR basics can be found in boosters, Fat Packs, and Intro Packs, when the 26 alternate art cards can only be found in Ugin's Fate boosters and have a special text near the copyright line.

To me, it would be like considering the basic lands you find in a prerelease pack as promo cards.

But again, I really don't mind if they are showed as promos on librarities, my own classification of cards shouldn't affect the others :)
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:25 pm

effai wrote: But again, I really don't mind if they are showed as promos on librarities, my own classification of cards shouldn't affect the others :)
But your opinion is important. I wasn't arguing with you but only trying to find out about the availability of basic lands in regular boosters.

If the only basic lands you found were foil, then they were probabaly included as "premium" cards and not as a land. In my case I got a foil land but I also got a gain-land in the land slot. Thus I did not actually get a basic land in the booster.

Can you check a bit and see if French boosters are including basic lands.
Seems nobody is answering about if and where these are being included.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests