List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Everything that's missing on the Magic Rarities, Magic card Sets and Magazine and Comics Galleries Sections.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Thank You So Much!!

So this pretty well confirms that there were 2 print runs of Italian FWB, with some cards being slightly changed for the second print run.

The next question will be to figure out which cards in the set were changed.
So far, we've only noticed Green cards. Now to try and figure out if all Green cards were affected or not.
Also, I wonder if other colors were affected and we just haven't noticed yet.

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:07 am

I've done some more research on this topic.
I'm pretty sure now that not all green cards from the set are affected, it's only a few cards.
Channel
Lure
Titania's Song
War Mammoth
Maybe others. I'll update again when I have more info.

Shanodin Dryads & Scryb Sprites are not affected.

Tav

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by Neuron » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Added:

4 blue cards
1 black card
1 green card

pludiko
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by pludiko » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to finalize an italian revised set (fwb). I saw this very interesting post, i know it has some years old already but i have some of the cards which picture lacks. I can take some picture if needed, and would be glad to get a full complete documentation about how to recognize cards from Fwb and 4th edition.

Regards, Alban

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by Neuron » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:14 pm

pludiko wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:59 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to finalize an italian revised set (fwb). I saw this very interesting post, i know it has some years old already but i have some of the cards which picture lacks. I can take some picture if needed, and would be glad to get a full complete documentation about how to recognize cards from Fwb and 4th edition.

Regards, Alban
Alban, look at the first post in this thread, there is a link to a detailed explanation and a list of German cards.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Just a note for myself, that when I'm ready to work on this topic again, I should also look at these other two threads involving this topic.

viewtopic.php?p=89108#p89108

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9924

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by Neuron » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Fixed broken links, now with images on hover:

https://greendisenchantproject.jimdo.com/fwb-4th/

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5552
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:50 am

Neuron wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 pm
Fixed broken links, now with images on hover:

https://greendisenchantproject.jimdo.com/fwb-4th/
Great.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 am

Neuron wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 pm
Fixed broken links, now with images on hover:

https://greendisenchantproject.jimdo.com/fwb-4th/
Very Nice!
Hello Ron, I hope you've been well.
Are these images confirmed examples from sealed product, or was their set identity determined by some other method?

I haven't been working on this project much, but I'm still collecting info.
I have a full set of Italian FWB from booster packs that I can scan.
I also was able to scan a booster box of German FWB that we opened at GP Vegas. It's not a complete set, but a good sized number of the cards.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Oh, one more thing that I think you'll find interesting, though it's a bit off topic here...

I opened a booster pack of English 4th edition where the commons were back cut, and the uncommons were front cut.
I thought it was interesting to have both back cut and front cut sealed inside the same booster pack.

Additionally, if you want to do some quick research on the back cut vs front cut topic, I've found a way to determine whether a card is back cut or front cut by the order that the cards appear in sealed packs.
This means you can reliably gather data from pack opening videos online, without having to personally inspect the card corners up close.

Here is how the process works...
http://forum.magiclibrarities.net/forum ... 966#p89966

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by Neuron » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:23 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 am
Neuron wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 pm
Fixed broken links, now with images on hover:

https://greendisenchantproject.jimdo.com/fwb-4th/
Very Nice!
Hello Ron, I hope you've been well.
Are these images confirmed examples from sealed product, or was their set identity determined by some other method?

I haven't been working on this project much, but I'm still collecting info.
I have a full set of Italian FWB from booster packs that I can scan.
I also was able to scan a booster box of German FWB that we opened at GP Vegas. It's not a complete set, but a good sized number of the cards.
Hello Tav,

nice to read you.
The cards on the images were determined by comparing the alignment of text and mana symbols of both sets, which in turn has been confirmed by pack openings, so these are sure to be correct. Maybe I should write a guide how to spot the differences for people which are unfamiliar where to look at.

Some of the cards with different text layout were double-checked with opening videos. This is also where the info comes from that some cards only differ in the alignment without having scans from them.

It would be great to have good scans of your Foreign sets.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by Neuron » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:35 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:57 pm
Oh, one more thing that I think you'll find interesting, though it's a bit off topic here...

I opened a booster pack of English 4th edition where the commons were back cut, and the uncommons were front cut.
I thought it was interesting to have both back cut and front cut sealed inside the same booster pack.

Additionally, if you want to do some quick research on the back cut vs front cut topic, I've found a way to determine whether a card is back cut or front cut by the order that the cards appear in sealed packs.
This means you can reliably gather data from pack opening videos online, without having to personally inspect the card corners up close.

Here is how the process works...
http://forum.magiclibrarities.net/forum ... 966#p89966
Thank you for the info, that's indeed interesting and well explained. I like the assumption that the process was partially manual, as there are artist proofs within sets where some are font cut and some back cut. This couldn't be explained with multiple print runs.
Do you have a list of the front cut 4th cards you have opened? It seems that in both Revised, 4th Edition and German FWB not all cards exist with front cut corners, so knowing which are there could reveal a pattern how they where stacked in the cutting process.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest